The 2 from 1 build.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

winner_evo
Approved Member

Re: The 2 from 1 build.

Post by winner_evo »

XLR8 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:47 pm Looks awesome. This is going to be an incredibly nice runner! It's interesting how closely the ano matches the color of the Savox servo label. Really nice.
I wonder if it makes sense to somehow freeze the suspension hinge pins into the aluminum mount so that articulation occurs at the nylon arm rather than at the mount and perhaps prevent the aluminum from wearing. Maybe if you were to install a grub screw to lock the hinge pin, you wouldn't need to secure them with e-clips. I'm probably just over-thinking this.

Thanks, it came out better than I was expecting, yet I still want to run this as I haven't driven an RC10 or any 2 wheel drive car for over 30 years :lol:

The match of the servo is as you say, quite a surprise and wasn't really intentional. Although Dhawk list the colour as gold, it is closer to orange as per Savox labels.

Grub screwing the hinge pins sounds like a preety good alternative.

I'm now calling this done, just got change some of the settings in the esc and it'll be ready to roll. What sort of timing does the SP 10.5 like to run?

winner_evo
Approved Member

Post by winner_evo »

So here's the finished car, body is a little battered but fine for a runner and still going play with a few different wheel/tyre combo's...

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

winner_evo wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 pm
XLR8 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:47 pm Looks awesome. This is going to be an incredibly nice runner! It's interesting how closely the ano matches the color of the Savox servo label. Really nice.
I wonder if it makes sense to somehow freeze the suspension hinge pins into the aluminum mount so that articulation occurs at the nylon arm rather than at the mount and perhaps prevent the aluminum from wearing. Maybe if you were to install a grub screw to lock the hinge pin, you wouldn't need to secure them with e-clips. I'm probably just over-thinking this.

Thanks, it came out better than I was expecting, yet I still want to run this as I haven't driven an RC10 or any 2 wheel drive car for over 30 years :lol:
... What sort of timing does the SP 10.5 like to run?
Well, it certainly has been a long wait but I'd say that you're in for a treat. If you're like me, all those great memories from running these cars bitd will come flooding back within the first few laps. :D
As for timing, I really don't know; I really haven't adjusted mine so they are still on factory settings I guess. :oops: The car is plenty fast, motor temps and run times are acceptable so I've never really found a need to alter timing. I guess I prefer to direct my tuning efforts toward suspension and tires.
Be sure to keep us updated?
Doug

winner_evo
Approved Member

Post by winner_evo »

XLR8 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:47 pm
Well, it certainly has been a long wait but I'd say that you're in for a treat.

As for timing, I really don't know; I really haven't adjusted mine so they are still on factory settings I guess. :oops: The car is plenty fast, motor temps and run times are acceptable so I've never really found a need to alter timing.

Be sure to keep us updated?
Well, gave it it's first run & you're right, it was a lot of fun, drove a lot better than I was expecting. Drove arrow straight & the Savox is ultra fast. :D I'd chucked on the JC wheels/dirt hawgs & ran it mostly on tarmac & grass. Suspension's too soft but I can sort that soon enough.

The issue I have is the motor temp is way too hot. I had the esc set at max then dropped to default timing at 15° with a 22/81 pinion/spur.

Acceleration is good & top speed ok but not massively fast. ESC stays cool without the fan but motor hot to the point I had stop to cool down.

I didn't think an FDR of over 8:1 would be an issue.

Does it need a smaller pinion/less timing?

Feel free to chip in any thoughts :wink:

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Okay, here a few thoughts.
Running on grass requires more throttle input due to greater rolling resistance and this will result in higher motor temps. I run on a small hard packed dirt track exclusively and typically like to keep FDR in the 10's (I tend to gear my cars very conservatively). The SP motor doesn't make a lot torque so perhaps you'll want to let it spin up. Also, I don't exceed 10 minutes per run to help limit motor and ESC temps.
Doug

winner_evo
Approved Member

Post by winner_evo »

I tried an FDR of 10.3:1 (87/19) with zero timing advance and the motor still gets too hot in a short period of run time. I fitted the Trackstar and drove the car as I did with the SP and the temps are much more sensible.

The Trackstar needs more gearing so I've come to the conclusion there is an issue with the Speedpassion motor.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Hmm, well that's disappointing.
Perhaps there is a problem with the SP. My copy definitely runs cooler than all my other 10.5's even within the same car, same gearing and battery. It also lacks punch as compared with other motors but I've just accepted this as a tradeoff.
I'm hoping other members with brushless motor experience will jump into the conversation; I'm still rather new at this.
Doug

winner_evo
Approved Member

Post by winner_evo »

I ran 8.89:1 today on the Trackstar, 8 minutes run time & battery was 7.9v (3.95/cell) after. The motor temp wasn't cool but I think acceptable. I can't see any other explanation than the SP is at fault.

It would be nice to see others chipping in with their FDR's they've managed. :wink:

sbednara
Approved Member

Post by sbednara »

great build thread. super cool cars you have.
RC10 Championship Edition
Tekin Rebel ESC
Fantom Motor