Associated Guy Restoring Vintage Losi Buggies

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Associated Guy Restoring Vintage Losi Buggies

Post by ChisaiKuso »

What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

I have been a Team Associated guy for well over 30 years. If you were to hand me a pile of parts from any of the old Associated cars, buggies, or trucks, then I could correctly identify and assemble all of them without ever referring to an instruction manual. When it comes to Team Losi stuff, however, let us just say that you might as well be speaking a foreign language to me. JRX-2... JRX-Pro... Junior 2... Say what?!

About five years ago I purchased a large collection of used, vintage Losi parts. I never really knew what I wanted to do with all of the stuff, so it remained safely tucked away in a dark corner while I continued collecting and restoring vintage Associated kits.

Earlier this week I finally got the itch to begin working on the Losi buggies. I am going to need your help though. I do not want to just assemble a bunch of old RC cars. If I am going to do this, then I want to 100% accurately rebuild these vintage buggies using only the correct parts. I intend to use this thread to ask questions that I cannot find answers to anywhere else. So far I have been relying heavily on the information and resources at www.vintagelosi.com.
Something clever goes here...

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Re: Associated Guy Restoring Vintage Losi Buggies

Post by ChisaiKuso »

Let the heckling begin! :mrgreen:

Stupid question #1:

From what I have gathered, the JRX-2 uses a short chassis, and the JRX-Pro uses a longer chassis. Is this always the case?

Stupid question #2:

Why are some of the chassis all black and some of the chassis black with a white(ish) layer in the middle (sort of like Composite Craft chassis)? I have both variations in both the short and the long chassis.

Stupid question #3:

The vast majority of the parts appear to be the typical black material, but there are some parts that appear to be graphite impregnated. I know that some of the later Losi kits came with graphite parts (my Matt Francis XXX-T comes to mind), but did some of the early kits use that material also? As an example, I seem to have both black and gray transmission cases.

Stupid question #4:

The majority of the transmission cases have (whatever the heck it is) molded on the top of them. One of them, however, is completely smooth on top. Which kit does it go to?

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Looking forward to seeing Your builds and Your PICTURES :-)
Sorry I can´t be of any help, my knowledge on Losi buggys are even slimmer than my knowledge of AE buggys :)
I´ve got a couple of XX B/T´s and JRXT´s that needs resurrecting, so I´ll follow closely.
Gone fishing

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

1) Yes, the JRX2 had a shorter chassis with a 20* kick-up. The JRX-T and Pro shared the chassis which was longer and had a 30* kick-up.

2) I would assume different people making the chassis for them.

3) I think some of their early parts were like a fiber reinforced plastic. Trans cases, 5 link hub carriers......

4) The standard Losi trans case (JRX2 through the Pro-SE) had tabs on the top of the case to attach the rear body mount for the JRX-T and Junior-T.

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

DennisM wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:16 am Looking forward to seeing Your builds and Your PICTURES :-)
Sorry I can´t be of any help, my knowledge on Losi buggys are even slimmer than my knowledge of AE buggys :)
I´ve got a couple of XX B/T´s and JRXT´s that needs resurrecting, so I´ll follow closely.
I am horrible when it comes to documenting my builds with pictures. Even so, I will do my best to take some PICTURES along the way for you. :wink:

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

scr8p wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:32 am 1) Yes, the JRX2 had a shorter chassis with a 20* kick-up. The JRX-T and Pro shared the chassis which was longer and had a 30* kick-up.

2) I would assume different people making the chassis for them.

3) I think some of their early parts were like a fiber reinforced plastic. Trans cases, 5 link hub carriers......

4) The standard Losi trans case (JRX2 through the Pro-SE) had tabs on the top of the case to attach the rear body mount for the JRX-T and Junior-T.
Thank you for taking a moment to answer those questions, scr8p.

Stupid question #4a:

So what is the transmission case without the tabs from? It looks identical to the other transmissions in every other way.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I've never seen that case without the mount.

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Transmission case without the tabs are self cutted.

Jirka

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

Jirka wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:54 am Transmission case without the tabs are self cutted.

Jirka
I originally thought that too, but no one is this good with a Dremel tool or a hobby knife. I can find no indications of anything ever having been cut.

I will post some pictures at a later date.

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Just put sandpaper around peace of wood block or something like that and You have the right tool to finish the job. The plastic that Losi used in LRM transmission case will is easy to work with and the finish surface is just like the other sides.

Jirka

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

Jirka wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:17 pm Just put sandpaper around peace of wood block or something like that and You have the right tool to finish the job. The plastic that Losi used in LRM transmission case will is easy to work with and the finish surface is just like the other sides.

Jirka
That is definitely a possibility. I appreciate your comments.

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

I spent a considerable amount of time yesterday going through everything to try to determine what is actually there. With all of the extra parts in this collection, it seems like I will have some freedom to decide which models I would like to build. I welcome your opinions and suggestions on my current plan.

Car #1 and Car #2 Because the five-link rear suspension was (and for that matter still is) so unique, I really think that the first two buggies should be built as all original JRX-2s.

Car #3 I am contemplating two different directions for this buggy. On one hand, I could build it as a JRX-Pro. On the other hand, I think it might be more interesting to build it as a JRX-2 modified with the A-2014 H-Arm Conversion Kit. The only thing that I see stopping me from doing the latter is that I do not have three of the original A-4001 battery holders.

Car #4 This buggy will be a JRX-Pro.

Car #5 There is a Junior 2 in the collection that is mostly complete. I use the words "mostly complete" because I do not have the correct wheels and tires for it, and it is missing two front wheel bushings.

Car #6 Meh... Maybe someday. It could perhaps be a custom JRX-2 or JRX-Pro of some sort, but I am not sure if I have enough transmission parts to even do it.

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

A JRX-2 with 5-link is a cool buggy. I had one back in 80's and sold it for beer money. :(
Bum on Direct Deposit

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

NomadRacer wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:44 pm A JRX-2 with 5-link is a cool buggy. I had one back in 80's and sold it for beer money. :(
Doh! Few beers are worth a JRX-2. :(

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

Stupid question #5:

Talk to me about the #8-32 x 3/8 and #8-32 x 1/2 countersunk Phillips screws. Should all of these screws be black aluminum on the early Losi buggies? I seem to have an assortment of black aluminum, natural aluminum, and steel, but I am guessing that only the black aluminum screws are correct.