Losi XX4 Rebuild

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lavigna

Losi XX4 Rebuild

Post by Lavigna »

Here goes my first XX4 build. I recently bought Shoman24v's beautiful XX4. I have long since admired this build, and could not resist the chance to own it. It is a nearly all new build.

However, after I received it I decided it had to have all the graphite pieces, Trinity bling, Ti hardware, MIP aluminum drives, and more. Things spiraled out of control pretty quick, and now I am pretty close to having enough parts for 2 buggies.

The first 2 pictures show the XX4 how I received it. A brand new Trinity Kinwald D2 motor looks right at home in a XX4.

I was very happy to find a new early, solid graphite chassis, along with all the other graphite pieces. I am still waiting on an order of Trinity blue gold. I want to keep this build as an early, NON Worlds Edition. I am still undecided on using the Losi threaded shock bodies with blue Trinity collars, or the earlier hard anodized smooth shock bodies. Any input is appreciated. I have not yet found the early, non braced graphite versions of the shock towers, so I spent some time and modified them by hand. The result is nearly as good as factory.

These photos are just cell phone shots for now, as I wait for my DSLR to get back. I hope you enjoy the build.
Attachments
Capture3.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture11.JPG
Capture9.JPG
Capture7.JPG
Capture8.JPG
Capture10.JPG

Lavigna

Re: Losi XX-4 Rebuild

Post by Lavigna »

Does anyone know how to black out the 2 yellow rubber plugs? I tried using Rit Dye but had no luck. I just want to change the yellow color to a black or dark grey.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

lavigna wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:52 am Does anyone know how black out the 2 yellow rubber plugs? I tried using Rit Dye but had no luck. I just want to change the yellow color to a black or dark grey.
rit dye won't work on rubber so you will be on the search for black plugs if you don't like the yellow. TBH it will more than likely be the cheapest part you will have to pick up with that pretty awesome amount of parts you got sitting there.

Just an opinion but if you are wanting NonWorlds style I would stick with the smooth losi shocks but again, thats just my opinion and how I'd do it.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Thanks Klavy69. I guess I didn't even realize they made the plugs in black! That makes for an easy solution, lol.

I agree about the smooth shocks. They would fit this build better. I love the look of the threaded bodies with Trinity collars, but they can go on another build.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Love the XX4! And you've got a great looking one there. But, what belt(s) are you using?
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

I'm not sure on the belts. Whatever Walid put in. They were brand new, and seemed as fresh as if they were just made. They are one of the few pieces that will not be changed out, lol.

Again, these are just crappy cell phone pictures. I am not doing a great job of taking pictures of the build along the way. However, I think the end result will make for some great pictures.
Attachments
Capture4.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture5.JPG

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Any chance of some additional belt photos with the numbers? Bando is apparently a timing belt manufacturer. Amazon has many sizes available, but none that match the visible numbers in the above photo. I'd be very interested in trying these belts out, especially at the Amazon prices.
Matt

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

They are the tough racing belts off of ebay.

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

mikea96 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 am They are the tough racing belts off of ebay.
^ That is what I assumed as well.

Slider status just about achieved. This buggy has come to define the term "bling!" And I love it.

I ended up using all Ti Lunsford hardware. They sure do make nice stuff. I have never ordered their hardware before, but I am a big fan now! Their quality and bling factor are the best I have seen. I used all Ti vintage Losi ball studs as well. believe the only pieces left over from the original car are the Ti turnbuckles (which I polished), belts, pulleys, inner drives, and the steering arm (which I dyed).

I removed the front MIP lite drives and rear polished Losi drives, and replaced them with some newly acquired Barracuda Ti diff halves. These units are little works of art. I was fortunate to find all the Trinity pieces NIP. I normally do not like too much Trinity blue on my builds, but it just seems to fit the XX4. I added a little purple in there to mix it up. The last piece I would like to find is the #TK3025 Trinity servo mount.

I still don't have the proper lens for my camera, but here are some decent photos in the meantime.
Attachments
Capture7.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture13.JPG
Capture10.JPG
Capture8.JPG
Capture9.JPG

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

mikea96 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 am They are the tough racing belts off of ebay.
I had wondered that, but the photos on eBay look different than these. Also, Bando is a US company and the Tough Racing come from Korea. As soon as I can remember, I'll compare with the tough racing belts I have at home. Apologies for beating a dead horse; I'm just hoping to find an alternate source for belts.

Great progress BTW! Love the bling! 8)
Matt

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Here is a better picture of the belts. I hope this helps.

Also a couple pictures of pieces I like.
Attachments
Capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture7.JPG

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

:shock: Ti Diffs? I'm in awe man.
Bum on Direct Deposit

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Thanks for the belt photo. I now realize that Bando is headquartered in Japan. When I searched Bando originally, I found Bando USA and assumed it was a US company. Guess I should have known better. :roll:

Anyway, sweet outdrives! 8)
Matt

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

I am close to done with this build. I am really happy with it. I am going to keep electronics out of it for now. I think it looks so clean without, so I will rock it as is for now. I still need to find a Trinity servo mount piece, and still need to have my OG non hot weather body painted. I want to keep the new paint theme similar, except lose the yellow drops, and add some purple. I also have a NIP Trinity rear arm block to add, I just haven't done so yet. Suggestions always welcome. Thanks.
Attachments
Capture10.JPG
Capture9.JPG
Capture8.JPG
Capture11.JPG
Capture7.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture4.JPG

Nige55
Approved Member

Post by Nige55 »