RC10 Classic Servo Saver Broken

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

gigem94

RC10 Classic Servo Saver Broken

Post by gigem94 »

Well I took the old buggy out for a spin to show my son and ended up crashing into a steel pole and shattering the (original) left servo saver #6255. Can anyone help me with a replacement option? I see the Dhawk racing aluminum on ebay or maybe the Factory Works #1080 may be an option from another thread but these are a complete guess on my part. We just use the car for bashing so just want to get something to get it back up and running. I always did hate the bent arm original setup so if I have to replace it would be nice to have s simpler setup there too. Appreciate the help.

GoMachV

Re: RC10 Classic Servo Saver Broken

Post by GoMachV »

While i would love to sell you a Factory Works steering kit, the Associated 6254 kit from the Worlds car is still available on the cheap, around $8 or so. You will still need 4 bearings (1/4 x 3/8 flanged), figure $1 a pop, and some steering linkage. The linkage can be made from Dubro 2157 rod and 497 ball joints, or leftover associated parts. You would still need the rod and ball joints for any of the different bellcranks anyway. Lastly, you should install a kimbrough 114 (assuming futaba) servo saver on the servo, since the bellcrank will no longer be able to save the gears.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

gigem94

Post by gigem94 »

GoMachV, thanks for the response, very helpful. So I understand the 6254 and bearings part and will order those from ebay. For the steering linkage, it looks like what you are proposing is a threaded rod and ball joints. I have some the original old associated ball joints/ball cups will those work with the 2157 rod or do I need Bubro parts?. And will I have to bend the threaded rod like I had to with the original non-threaded rods or will the new bellcranks allow it to run straight? And If I buy the 2157 rod, do the 497 joints come in a pack or are they sold individually? I'm not sure I was finding the 497 ball joints you referenced...

Finally on the servo, yes it's a Futaba - will the Kimbrough 114 work on the one I have?

Here's some pics (hopefully they are public as I'm a new Imgur user): https://imgur.com/gallery/7ibbN9z

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

The kimbrough 114 is correct for the Futaba servo. You will enlarge one of the holes for the ball joint to thread in

You can use any 4-40 threaded rod or turnbuckles, I was simply proposing the one listed as it is a common part. If you have threaded rods and/or ball joints you can use all of that in place of what I recommended. (The 497 ball joints are sold individually and also were just recommended assuming you had nothing)

You won’t bend the rod, at least it’s best if you can avoid it. Here is a snip from the worlds car manual showing it’s installation
Attachments
0D3B44F3-E2D6-4CB4-AA9E-455983235ED5.jpeg
17C7D9BF-6BD7-493E-B607-E808FF3C9DFB.jpeg
D0B468C4-B3CC-467E-9678-9FD6F4DDF5D1.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

The original broken parts can't be epoxied or CA glued -- to get you back up and running?
I have a broken original saver on one of my runners and it's been glued and holding for about two years now.
It ain't purdy but it works.
Doug

gigem94

Post by gigem94 »

It sheered at the hole where the bolt goes in. I thought about going that route but didn't think it would hold well enough to support the force on the turns; and also didn't think it would let the bolt move freely during the turns.