Schumacher Bosscat Competition build

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Marshky
Approved Member

Schumacher Bosscat Competition build

Post by Marshky »

Hi,
since all of my builds are normally done within one or two days max., I normally don't take the time to start a build thread for them. However, the current project I started will take a bit longer, since I need some currently unavaiable parts.
I scored a complete schumacher Bosscat works which someone apparently race quite hard back in the day. The rear end of this car is fine, just needs a rebuild. The front end however has some damaged parts as you will see in this first update.
I have a re released Schumacher cat XLS with the pro transmission (actually converted it to a procat), but the leftover transmission parts come in handy for this build.

The diffs that were in this car just needed some new 3mm balls and flip over the diff washers. Now they run smooth again.
I really like the way this top shaft with spur is assembled. It is possible to change the spur gear without changing the tension on the slipper spring.
Screenshot_20200505-124449.jpg

The red nut on the slipper matches quite nicely with the red anodizing on the gearbox plates:
Screenshot_20200505-124455.jpg

New belts come in handy, which were leftover from the cat xls build:
Screenshot_20200505-124452.jpg

Here are some of the parts that are broken (The notch on the bottom of this upright is gone unfortunatly):
Screenshot_20200505-124459.jpg

The previous owner was quite creative to make sure he could still use the bottom half of the front gearbox. I will search for a replacement:
Screenshot_20200505-124501.jpg

Since the rear end was still complete and fine, I am able to start at least. I think the black screws look better on the slipper than the ones that were in the first picture.
Screenshot_20200505-124504.jpg

Put the output shafst on the diff, set the rear belt tension and this part is done. Just need to place the gearbox cover:
Screenshot_20200505-124510.jpg
Screenshot_20200505-124507.jpg

Marshky
Approved Member

Re: Schumacher Bosscat Competition build

Post by Marshky »

Part two of this build (At this building speed it is logic to see why my other builds are done so quickly):

Since the rear gearbox is done already, the suspension arms could be assembled. I am not a fan of the 2mm piano wire hinges schumacher uses on these older cars. Luckily I had a set of traxxas hinges, which contains 2.5mm screwed hingepins. I shortened a couple to mount the hub carrier to the arms.
Screenshot_20200505-162154.jpg

Looks way better!
Screenshot_20200505-162204.jpg

Mounting these to the gearbox isn't a huge step:
Screenshot_20200505-162220.jpg

Last thing I could do for now to finish the rear is to mount the shocks and wing mount:
Screenshot_20200505-162230.jpg
I know the pink doesn't match the red of the gearbox. I just happened to have these schocks laying around and since they are schumacher and threaded I prefered these over the originals. Front shocks are schumacher small bores as well, just the brown/black ones.

Marshky
Approved Member

Post by Marshky »

I am not building this in the order the manual tells me to do. I just do a bits of the build and put it on the chassis when I think it is done.
With the gearbox done, I was able to mount this on the chassis. I know all the parts are a bit worn, but I think it is part of the characteristic of a vintage car. I will replace them when things break down and are impossible to fix.
Screenshot_20200507-131636.jpg

Next up was the steering. I'll keep using the original one, until it breaks and feel the need for the ball raced one from muzzoom models. It is smooth, despite the absence of bearings :lol:
Screenshot_20200507-131640.jpg

Now it is starting to look like a real racing buggy:
Screenshot_20200507-131646.jpg
Screenshot_20200507-131650.jpg

Next step is to keep searching for the missing bits that are needed to complete the front.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Schumacher Bosscat Works build

Post by Lonestar »

Looking good so far Marijn :)
Marshky wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:33 am since all of my builds are normally done within one or two days max.
This is beyond me. I'm happy when I'm done in less than a month :lol: with most project taking several months if not years altogether...
(except the modern racers which still take me a couple of weeks working them the evenings...)

Keep it up and carry-on posting pics. Those early cats are still rare beasts :!:

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Marshky
Approved Member

Post by Marshky »

Here are some pictures of the condition of the car when I received it. It came together with a complete procat as shown, which is done already, just needs a body :D

Screenshot_20200507-141255__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200507-141241__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200507-141300__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200507-141305__01.jpg

Marshky
Approved Member

Post by Marshky »

Well, since the parts I am missing are nowhere to be found, I could do the next best thing to complete this car: CAD (At least until the missing parts magically appear somewhere)

I drew the bottom half of the gearbox to the dimensions of the broken one I had, this one was only missing the ears for the suspension uprights. But I was able to trace out the dimensions for these by using the upper half of the gearbox. See the results for yourself:
Bottom half gearbox.jpg
Bottom half gearbox2.jpg
Now for the uprights I am in doubt of what to do. I could either copy the original one, or design a custom one, with two shock mounting holes on top or extra supports as an example. I would kind of prefer custom ones, but like to know some other opinions as well.

Marshky
Approved Member

Post by Marshky »

The front end is starting to look like a cool custom one. I added two extra holes in the upright, of which one is meant for the longer threaded small bore shock I want to use. This shock is just a bit longer than the standard one.
Just needs some finishing touches and a front boumper. See for yourself:
total1.jpg
total2.jpg
total3.jpg
total4.jpg

Marshky
Approved Member

Post by Marshky »

Got the parts in today. Really nice printing quality from shapeways.
Screenshot_20200516-140923.jpg
Not yet fully assembled, but this is a nice front end:
Screenshot_20200516-140916.jpg
Looking forward to seeing how this looks when mounted to the car.

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Really nice work. Will they be available to purchase through shapeways?

Marshky
Approved Member

Post by Marshky »

Retro rc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:39 pm Really nice work. Will they be available to purchase through shapeways?
It would really depend on the amount of interest in these parts and this built. If there were more reactions of others who are also searching for these parts, I might look into the possibilities of opening a shapeways shop. However, seeing the amount of reactions, I don't think there isn't much interest.

Anyway, I mounted the parts to the car:
IMG_20200516_212028.jpg
They still need some work in order to make everything smooth and fit nicely. Main problem is the width of the xls arms. They are wider apparently at hinge moun than the Original bosscat arms. So I am still on the lookout for those.
Also the bumper doesn't have enough clearence with the screwed hinge pins I used, so I had to dremel some plastic away.
If I would upload these parts to shapeways, I'd like to try these out with the Original bosscat arms. The top and bottom gearbox halves are a direct fit with the Original gearbox halves.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

That's a very nice looking front end well done !
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Marshky
Approved Member

Post by Marshky »

Retro rc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:39 pm Really nice work. Will they be available to purchase through shapeways?
I uploaded the parts to shapeways. These are the links to order the parts:

Front Uprights:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/97S94NZJV/schumacher-bosscat-uprights-set?optionId=162847394&li=shop-inventory

Front Bumper:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/SUJKN7NAJ/schumacher-bosscat-front-bumper?optionId=162848289&li=shop-inventory

Top Gearbox half:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/G9LAFYYAM/schumacher-bosscat-top-gearbox-cover?optionId=162848716&li=shop-inventory

Lower Gearbox half:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/H32MQQEZ8/schumacher-bosscat-bottom-gearbox-half?optionId=162848002&li=shop-inventory

As for the material options, they are only avaiable in the new PA12 (HP MJF printer). This is cheaper and stronger than the PA11 SLS printing option. If anyone does want one in this material, let me know and I'll add the option.
All the parts fit with the Original parts as well. If something doesn't match correctly, please let me know. Also if you need another part as a 3d model, you could pm me.

If I am not allowed to do this or am going against this forums rules, tell me! Than I will delete this post.

Mja75
Approved Member

Post by Mja75 »

Great rebuild.
I'm tackling a Bosscat too but have met with broken washer carriers in the diff. I'm using sport diffs so they're plastic unfortunately.
Have you got the pro alloy versions or a source of replacement plastic parts?