My First Affair

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10th
Approved Member

My First Affair

Post by RC10th »

With many thanks to Alex he sent me this, a Schumacher Storm, something completely foreign and unknown. It's going to be a runner so it doesn’t have to be perfect.

I didn't take any before pictures so I'll post his :lol:

Club10_1.jpg
Club10_3.jpg
Club10_4.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: My First Affair

Post by RC10th »

A few late night rendezvous and this is where I'm up to, just waiting on a few bits like a screw set etc to start putting it all together. So far it has cleaned up quite well and should make for a fairly tidy runner.

20200704_104126-1024x576.jpg

Jools
Approved Member

Post by Jools »

Nice project. That looks quite Cougar-ish.
(Apart from the body that is).

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Nothing wrong with a Cougar :lol:

Alex could probably shed more light to its origin. Was the Shotgun more Cougar than the Storm?

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

RC10th wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:46 am Nothing wrong with a Cougar :lol:

Alex could probably shed more light to its origin. Was the Shotgun more Cougar than the Storm?
That's like saying is water more wet than damp..... :roll:

Most of the Schumacher 2wd models before the Cougar 2000 era look fundamentally the same, and utilise a lot of the same (or similar) parts. Some parts got redesigned, some made beefier, some/more holes in different places (we've all experienced that...), but in general they are pretty similar from the original Cougar down (apart from the early TopCat 'bulldozer' front end, and the later Club 10 mk.2 geared gearbox).

Shock towers are probably the biggest difference model-to-model, and they fluctuate all over the place! For example, RJ here has a Club 10 mk.1 Storm, which uses most of the same parts as the original Storm truck, but the front shock tower from the original Cougar and Shotgun (and Nitro 10 range). The rear shock tower is different to anything, being a new release for the Club 10 range.

So, there you go.... clear as mud, like was all over this chassis when I sent it up to RJ! :lol: :lol:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

I might have a spare front and rear storm shock tower lying around if you’d like to make it a true storm rather than a bitza.
I’ll have a look when I get home tonight for you.

Adrian

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Retro rc wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:43 pm I might have a spare front and rear storm shock tower lying around if you’d like to make it a true storm rather than a bitza.

Adrian
Adrian,

It's hardly a bitza..... it's a Club 10 Mk.1 Storm truck. That's how they came out of the factory!

Besides, to make it a 'true Storm' would include a bunch of little details, like chassis plate, diff, shocks, etc. etc. etc.

Of course, if RJ wants to go with your offer, who am I to tell him what to do with his hard-earned? :P :lol: 8)

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:45 pm
Retro rc wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:43 pm I might have a spare front and rear storm shock tower lying around if you’d like to make it a true storm rather than a bitza.

Adrian
Adrian,

It's hardly a bitza..... it's a Club 10 Mk.1 Storm truck. That's how they came out of the factory!

Besides, to make it a 'true Storm' would include a bunch of little details, like chassis plate, diff, shocks, etc. etc. etc.

Of course, if RJ wants to go with your offer, who am I to tell him what to do with his hard-earned? :P :lol: 8)

Alex
Well, it's going to be a runner so it doesn’t have to be 100% correct. Let me know what you come up with though. Thanks.

Alex, do tell..... What's different about the diff and other parts? Don't hold back on the little details, I like small talk :lol: :lol: Not that it really makes any dfference, I'm just curious, which didn't do the cat any favors.

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Sorry Alex no offence was meant, though this was a pit box spares build not a mk1 club 10

The main difference is the storm was based on the cougar 2 platform It had the red anodised chassis, depending on the spec ie sport, Racing, team (or works which is another different game all together). Sport had No slipper and the same Tri lobe diff as the club 10 mk1 where as the racing and team Versions had a pro diff and slipper. Team spec had ball raced steering And roller driveshafts As well. The shocks were long all round and were the silver anodised vari shocks. And as mentioned the towers where fibreglass and had a ton of mounting positions.

Front arms, rear arms, front and rear bulkheads hub carriers and steering setup was all the same between yours and the storm although yours seems to have had the adjustable tie rods added at some stage.

Still looking for the towers hopefully find them tonight in my boxes of gear. If I find them they’re yours for shipping cost from nz

Adrian

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Retro rc wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:28 pm Sorry Alex no offence was meant, though this was a pit box spares build not a mk1 club 10
None taken, mate.... just wanted to reassure RJ he was sold a Serious parts-bin special..... of course, if he had been, it would probably have been nitro powered :oops: :P
RC10th wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:41 am Alex, do tell..... What's different about the diff and other parts? Don't hold back on the little details, I like small talk :lol: :lol: Not that it really makes any dfference, I'm just curious, which didn't do the cat any favors.
Retro rc wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:28 pm ...
The main difference is the storm was based on the cougar 2 platform It had the red anodised chassis, depending on the spec ie sport, Racing, team (or works which is another different game all together). Sport had No slipper and the same Tri lobe diff as the club 10 mk1 where as the racing and team Versions had a pro diff and slipper. Team spec had ball raced steering And roller driveshafts As well. The shocks were long all round and were the silver anodised vari shocks. And as mentioned the towers where fibreglass and had a ton of mounting positions.

Front arms, rear arms, front and rear bulkheads hub carriers and steering setup was all the same between yours and the storm although yours seems to have had the adjustable tie rods added at some stage.
Adrian
Not much I can add... Adrian seems to have done a bang-up job.... apart from the adjustable tie rods, which were a Club 10 mk.1 feature.... the mk.2 went to fixed links.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Cheers Alex I really didn’t know the mk1 came with adjusters. I had moved on to Traxxas by the time they were released so never owned any of the club 10 range.

RJ

Also at a quick look at the parts bags (although without a closer look I cant be 100% sure ) you may have a pro diff already in there, looks like a alloy washer carrier with the diff pulley in th left hand bag. Fingers crossed for ya.

Just something for you to check looking at the third pics from the rear of the truck there maybe a slight twist at the rear of the chassis. ( Pretty common Easy to fix) the giveaway is the motor guard not seating properly into the gear box case. Sometimes it’s as simple as the flat area that the guard sits on has bent on the left side near the fixing point. Somethings it’s the whole area that has been shaped to fit the motor that’s moved- nothing a little bit of panel beating can’t fix

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Retro rc wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:39 pm Cheers Alex I really didn’t know the mk1 came with adjusters. I had moved on to Traxxas by the time they were released so never owned any of the club 10 range.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Retro rc wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:39 pm RJ

Also at a quick look at the parts bags (although without a closer look I cant be 100% sure ) you may have a pro diff already in there, looks like a alloy washer carrier with the diff pulley in th left hand bag. Fingers crossed for ya.
Well, that wouldn't surprise, and be pretty much my usual story.... don't look inside, and accidentally send up a Pro Diff.... if it is, you're a lucky sod, RJ... :roll:

Retro rc wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:39 pm Just something for you to check looking at the third pics from the rear of the truck there maybe a slight twist at the rear of the chassis. ( Pretty common Easy to fix) the giveaway is the motor guard not seating properly into the gear box case. Sometimes it’s as simple as the flat area that the guard sits on has bent on the left side near the fixing point. Somethings it’s the whole area that has been shaped to fit the motor that’s moved- nothing a little bit of panel beating can’t fix
Yeah, he was aware of that... probably already been fixed, better than new.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I think it's safe to say it's not a pro diff, the trilobe washer carriers are plastic. It's a strage design overall but works well :wink:

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Hey Rj

finally found the rear shock tower but can't for the life of me find the front. Let me know if you want it via pm and we'll sort out getting it over to you

Adrian

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Sorry Adrian, I forgot about your reply :oops: I was hoping for a storm front tower if anything, so thanks for your offer.

This build just keeps getting "older" slotted screws :roll: :roll: :lol:

At least now I can start putting stuff together.