My Unhinged Bigwig

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

FasterLouder
Approved Member

My Unhinged Bigwig

Post by FasterLouder »

Merry Christmas! Hope everyone had a great day with family.

I've owned a few Bigwigs, both in the late '80's and one I built one about ten years ago, by buying every part until I had a complete kit, ready to assemble, in front of me.
That one was fun.

Couldn't help snap a re-release up.
I originally powered it with a tiny, but mighty Novak XRS ESC and a Reedy Krypton 10x2 and a nice, new Hyperion 7.6 volt Li-Po.
It put the power down really well, impressed me greatly.
After a dozen runs, I pulled it down and everything, including both transmission internals still looked like new.

I bought a friend a Kyosho Ultima short course truck as a present and it came with so much extra stuff...A JCONCEPTS carry bag, about $300 of SC wheels and tires and a parts truck! It also included my ESC of choice, an Orion R10.1. :D
Good karma, or something!
I picked up an Orion Ultimate Mod 8.5 motor, installed a good Futaba steering servo, with a few tricks to give it more steering, a nice Futaba rx with an internal antenna and the mighty Orion R10.1 :lol:
I tried a few different mounting locations for the ESC, in the end it had to go onto the chassis, the fan only just cleared the sub chassis, so I trimmed the yellow mechanical ESC mount and all is well.
I really had my doubts if it would hold the power.
The music wire drive shaft had to go, so I installed a re-release Super Hotshot one, which required two shock O rings in each prop joint to keep it in it's sweet spot, I guess the Bigwig has a slightly longer chassis.

Maiden run was just zipping it up and down the street and it was FAST!
The only thing that lets it down are the stock tires.
I glued them the night before I ran it, it would have just blown them off.
I could get it up to about 60 KP/H and the car would go into a very gentle slide, unnerving but easy to get back into control.

I think all it needs are some decent wheels and tires and I may splurge on an MIP ball diff set, too.
A really fun car, so glad I made it totally mental.

20200714_185044[2].jpg
20201112_145227[1].jpg
20201226_205042[1].jpg
20201226_205145[1].jpg
20201226_205117[1].jpg
All The Way Alive