RC12LW back on the track?

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

juicedcoupe

Re: RC12LW back on the track?

Post by juicedcoupe »

folkdeath95 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:36 pm It's banana plug. Very easy to find in electronic stores. :wink:
Yeah. That looks like an audio plug, with the sheath removed.

My home auto stuff has them but I use the binders instead.

My old Hitec charger has them as well. I use the banana plugs on it so that adapters can quickly be changed.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

folkdeath95
Approved Member

Post by folkdeath95 »

Frankentruck wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:40 pm Not easy to find anymore. Electronics stores with components seem to have gone extinct.
In France, I find these on online electronic or audio-hobby store. In USA, I only know Parts Express (https://www.parts-express.com/connectors-adapters/audio-connectors/banana-plugs), but are certainly other stores. :wink:
juicedcoupe wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:59 pm
folkdeath95 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:36 pm It's banana plug. Very easy to find in electronic stores. :wink:
Yeah. That looks like an audio plug, with the sheath removed.

My home auto stuff has them but I use the binders instead.

My old Hitec charger has them as well. I use the banana plugs on it so that adapters can quickly be changed.
My charger (not old) use banana plugs too:

folkdeath95
Approved Member

Post by folkdeath95 »

This morning, my RC12LW made its first ride on carpet, almost 30 years after I bought it. 8)
It was so great. First try was a failure, it was like doing ice-skating, but then, a club mate put tire additive on all wheels and everything went OK.
rc12-7-mini.JPG
RC12-8-mini.JPG

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Was it Paragon traction compound? That stuff was awesome as long as you wiped the excess off after applying.

Good to hear it's back on track.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

folkdeath95
Approved Member

Post by folkdeath95 »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:36 am Was it Paragon traction compound? That stuff was awesome as long as you wiped the excess off after applying.

Good to hear it's back on track.
It was Mighty Gripper Red.

Yeah, it's cool to drive this old pancar. It gave lots of souvenirs to some guys at the track who were racing 1/12 during the 90's.

folkdeath95
Approved Member

Post by folkdeath95 »

There was only one incident during this practice session: I lost one front wheel E-clip while rolling. Fortunately, I had spare E-clips, but no other plastic washers... :oops:
I finished the day without it, but I presume it's not good for the car.
After a little shearch, I found the ref 4187 could be OK. What do you think?

folkdeath95
Approved Member

Post by folkdeath95 »

For the time being, I'm using my RC12LW with the kit tires, but one of these days, tire replacement will be a problem.
I suppose modern pre-glued front wheels should fit, without being sure. Does anybody have any experience?

But the biggest problem is the rear wheels, given that modern wheels use 3 bolts. When searching different solution, I found a complete rear axle kit:
https://muddslidemotorsports.com/1axkilad2.html
Do you think it could fit my car?

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

3 bolt hubs should make replacements easier to find as modern wheels are 3 bolt. I think that axle will fit but you may have to play with spacers a bit to get everything centered perfectly.

If you do replace the tires and want to sell your old ones let me know :P
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

Your car looks great and even better to see it on a track again! Even as old as it is, they can still overpower my driving abilities. :D

folkdeath95
Approved Member

Post by folkdeath95 »

RC10th wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:29 am 3 bolt hubs should make replacements easier to find as modern wheels are 3 bolt. I think that axle will fit but you may have to play with spacers a bit to get everything centered perfectly.

If you do replace the tires and want to sell your old ones let me know :P
Yes, it's a little hard to know if the length is OK. The thing is I don't know for which these axle are made...
Another solution could be looking for RC12L4 axle and diff parts, but it will be harder (and maybe more expensive) than buying IRS parts.

(Sorry, even if I change the axle and wheels, I'll keep the orginal parts. :oops: )
GeneralZod wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:41 am Your car looks great and even better to see it on a track again! Even as old as it is, they can still overpower my driving abilities. :D
Thank you. It's beyond my driving skills too, but it's fun to drive and a good school to learn and improve. 8)

folkdeath95
Approved Member

Post by folkdeath95 »

ELF-BMX wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:38 pm Thats is a very curious car, you have a rc12ls but it never cane in fiberglass I believe only graphite. That is a very interesting car.
Well, I think I found some clues about my car (which have a RC12LW front end but a chassis with "ears", like the RC12LS). I found an scan of Radio Race Car magazine from april 1993 called "RC12LW revisited". It said that Associated released a optionnal new front end for the RC12LW (which seems to be the one later used on the RC12LS) that requires a new chassis with two "ears" for positionning the body post. In the end of the article, the author wrote:
"The only drawback is that the kit, supplied with the new chassis, doesn't include the new wishbone front end, this is only available as an optional modification kit. This situation will change soon [...]"
My car (bought during 1993 summer) car must be one of those "late" RC12LW (and the change announced must be the RC12LS).
https://overrc.com/vintage/documentation/archives-de-mike/Associated%2012LW%20Revisted%20RRC.pdf

folkdeath95
Approved Member

Post by folkdeath95 »

I forgot what was the body I bought in the 90's for my RC12, but thanks to the forum, I found the answer and discovered that it has been reproduced. 8)
So I decided to buy a TBG Nissan GTP Type2:
carrosserie tbg-mini.JPG

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

GeneralZod wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:41 am Even as old as it is, they can still overpower my driving abilities. :D
That describes every car I own. But calling my driving abilities a "skill" would probably be an overstatement.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

folkdeath95
Approved Member

Post by folkdeath95 »

The TBG Nissan GTP body is now cut, unfortunately, the rear body posts are too short (I trimmed it for the Trinity body, which is lower). I have to find new ones... Originals white body nylon posts seem to be unobtainium (or very expensive), so I presume I'll have to buy something made for another car.

Concerning the paint job, after some hesitations, I began to think about doing what I tried to do 30 years ago (but better :) ).
RC12-4-mini.jpg
The Cobra stickers were removed from a GI Joe toy boat and placed on the inside before painting the body. I don't think I can re-use it once again, so I took a picture and after some work on the computer, I managed to make a clean PNG file of the drawing.
Do you know a company that could print custom stickers from a file you send to them?
Other option, do you think it's possible to cut this kind of shape into Tamiya masking tape to paint the Cobra rather than using stickers?
Regards.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I'm experimenting with a Cricut for making paint masking. If there was an image file to work with, that seems like something that could be made either for external use or inside masking. I'm a newb with my Cricut and haven't experimented with transfer tape/paper yet. I think that would be used to keep all the pieces together in the correct spacing.

Which boat are they from...?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"