** 2021 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 24-26

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: ** 2021 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 24-26

Post by jwscab »

yeah, it was a crap shoot on those doubles unless you hit them just right, consistently. On one hand, I could get my car to basically fly through that section. The very next lap it was flip flop barrel roll boom. I didn't take too many pics, but here are the three best ones.
Attachments
IMG_20210925_143115957.jpg
IMG_20210925_143108735.jpg
IMG_20210926_160918967-PANO.jpg

stickboy007
Approved Member

Re: ** 2021 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 24-26

Post by stickboy007 »

The jump sequence on the back was a little easier on Friday when the grip was lower and you can run the chassis higher. As the grip level came up, for me at least, I had to drop the car down and run stiffer springs, especially up front and especially for my 2wd buggy. This gave me a narrow margin for landing them well, but that was more specific to my chassis and some of its quirkiness. My Dirt Thrasher handled those jumps no problem, as it has a nice, plush suspension setup and so I could pretty much nail that sequence lap after lap (it also helps that Classic is a slower class). Stadium truck was also pretty good on that jump sequence, but 2wd and 4wd buggy were challenging and for different reasons.

The first double after the start/finish grid was actually not bad at all. You just had to have the right line, and if you approached it too quickly, the first little bump would send you off on the wrong line and you'll end up over the pipe on one side or the other. The smart line was to check up before the little jump and then blip the throttle over the double, or to punch it over the little jump and (somewhat) coast the double. Pretty nice when you hit it right.

Overall, the layout was challenging, but in a good way. It was very technical and really forced you to think. Despite the fact that I barrel rolled many times over the back sequence, I hardly broke or bent anything (maybe one or two parts?), which is saying something as I had two CAT 2000s which are much more fragile than my YZ10s.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Nice work and description. I'd like to run a 5 link JRX2 one of these years, barrel rolls and big doubles will be interesting :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

someone was running a 5 link truck conversion in the heavy metal class. pretty cool.

Reinaldo explained it great, but execution for the average (or below) guy was tough. put it this way, though, I'm looking at these types of jumps as a lot less intimidating than before, even if the outcome goes bad. agreed that the second double had a much wider margin of error.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

I got something in the works for a Saturday Class entry, but I don’t want to announce it until I have it on hand…😉

Also,

Check out Reinaldo’s VONATS wrap video on YouTube, it’s an interesting watch👍
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

jwscab wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:22 pm someone was running a 5 link truck conversion in the heavy metal class. pretty cool.

Reinaldo explained it great, but execution for the average (or below) guy was tough. put it this way, though, I'm looking at these types of jumps as a lot less intimidating than before, even if the outcome goes bad. agreed that the second double had a much wider margin of error.
Do 5 link JRXT's end up in heavy metal? It is not lost on me that an original JRXT suspension with the heavy offset wheels is not in same league as the longer arm LXT and 10T's to come after, but given it is a graphite chassis I assumed it would be in with rest of Stadium Truck. Though I guess a JRX2 with a graphite versus the Junior 2 plastic chassis would be classified different than too even though plastic chassis is actually probable "better". Clarification from anyone who would know?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I would the jrxt would be stadium. I'm thinking the truck was an early conversion, but I swear it had a 5 link.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

tecnica2001 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:41 pm I got something in the works for a Saturday Class entry, but I don’t want to announce it until I have it on hand…😉

Also,

Check out Reinaldo’s VONATS wrap video on YouTube, it’s an interesting watch👍
Do you have a YouTube link?

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I assume doctormosfet Vonat videos is someone on here...?
-Jerry-

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:09 pm I assume doctormosfet Vonat videos is someone on here...?
Yup, Stickboy007 from a couple of posts above😁👍
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

stickboy007 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:04 am The jump sequence on the back was a little easier on Friday when the grip was lower and you can run the chassis higher. As the grip level came up, for me at least, I had to drop the car down and run stiffer springs, especially up front and especially for my 2wd buggy. This gave me a narrow margin for landing them well, but that was more specific to my chassis and some of its quirkiness. My Dirt Thrasher handled those jumps no problem, as it has a nice, plush suspension setup and so I could pretty much nail that sequence lap after lap (it also helps that Classic is a slower class). Stadium truck was also pretty good on that jump sequence, but 2wd and 4wd buggy were challenging and for different reasons.

The first double after the start/finish grid was actually not bad at all. You just had to have the right line, and if you approached it too quickly, the first little bump would send you off on the wrong line and you'll end up over the pipe on one side or the other. The smart line was to check up before the little jump and then blip the throttle over the double, or to punch it over the little jump and (somewhat) coast the double. Pretty nice when you hit it right.

Overall, the layout was challenging, but in a good way. It was very technical and really forced you to think. Despite the fact that I barrel rolled many times over the back sequence, I hardly broke or bent anything (maybe one or two parts?), which is saying something as I had two CAT 2000s which are much more fragile than my YZ10s.
Gotta thank you for some of your youtube videos. They've been handy.
-Jerry-

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:21 pm
stickboy007 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:04 am The jump sequence on the back was a little easier on Friday when the grip was lower and you can run the chassis higher. As the grip level came up, for me at least, I had to drop the car down and run stiffer springs, especially up front and especially for my 2wd buggy. This gave me a narrow margin for landing them well, but that was more specific to my chassis and some of its quirkiness. My Dirt Thrasher handled those jumps no problem, as it has a nice, plush suspension setup and so I could pretty much nail that sequence lap after lap (it also helps that Classic is a slower class). Stadium truck was also pretty good on that jump sequence, but 2wd and 4wd buggy were challenging and for different reasons.

Gotta thank you for some of your youtube videos. They've been handy.
Thanks! I'm glad you found them useful.