Dyeing Super Star wheels

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: Dyeing Super Star wheels

Post by klavy69 »

As far as dyeing them goes they dye great. But like all finish products go its only as good as the prep work going into it. As long as they are clean of all chrome, which comes off of these wheels easily, washed up in either Dawn original or a Simple Green type scrub the dye works great. The old fuscia in powder form works awesome if you like the 80s color schemes :lol:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

They came out reasonably well. Definitely good enough for a runner... when the truck is finally running.
20210924_133351.jpg
I *might* dye them again when I have more time. I was kind of rushed. I think if I had let them stay in the dye longer, they would've ended up more even.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

CrazyRC wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:38 pm They came out reasonably well. Definitely good enough for a runner... when the truck is finally running.
20210924_133351.jpg

I *might* dye them again when I have more time. I was kind of rushed. I think if I had let them stay in the dye longer, they would've ended up more even.
Not bad. Mine are bathing in bleach as we speak.
-Jerry-

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

they look good to across the internet. That purple has got some potential for a 90's scheme with the pastels becoming a favorite of the time. They'll be great for your runner either way 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

CrazyRC wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:00 pm These are the wheels. I soaked them in dollar store bleach for a few hours, and gave them a quick wipe down with a rag. No scrubbing involved.

It's an old trick I learned building static model kits.
Yours turned out nice. Soaked mine in the bleach for a few hours, twice. But they're a weird yellowish color and white. And the remaining chrome on the inside of the tire will not come off, only the front wheels. Rear wheels all the chrome came right off. See pics.
Attachments
Resized_20210925_174036_2281.jpeg
Resized_20210925_174949_6290.jpeg
-Jerry-

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

R6cowboy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:59 pm
CrazyRC wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:00 pm These are the wheels. I soaked them in dollar store bleach for a few hours, and gave them a quick wipe down with a rag. No scrubbing involved.

It's an old trick I learned building static model kits.
Yours turned out nice. Soaked mine in the bleach for a few hours, twice. But they're a weird yellowish color and white. And the remaining chrome on the inside of the tire will not come off, only the front wheels. Rear wheels all the chrome came right off. See pics.
That yellowish stuff is the lacquer paint used before the plating. Weird how more came off on mine than yours. I found that soaking them in full strength Simple Green does a pretty good job of removing it. It will jelly up a bit. I guess the chrome on mine was in worse shape than the chrome on yours. You might have to give them a scrub with an old toothbrush and the Simple Green.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

CrazyRC wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:10 am That yellowish stuff is the lacquer paint used before the plating. Weird how more came off on mine than yours. I found that soaking them in full strength Simple Green does a pretty good job of removing it. It will jelly up a bit. I guess the chrome on mine was in worse shape than the chrome on yours. You might have to give them a scrub with an old toothbrush and the Simple Green.
When you say full strength Simple Green, do you mean the regular All-Purpose Cleaner pictured below? Or is there a more hardcore/heavy duty Simple Green I should use?
Attachments
simple-green-all-purpose-cleaners-2730103613005-64_1000.jpg
-Jerry-

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'm pretty sure I've used Easy-Off oven cleaner--the heavy duty yellow-cap one--to strip chrome off of nylon wheels. Comes off real easy with a toothbrush.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

R6cowboy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:16 am When you say full strength Simple Green, do you mean the regular All-Purpose Cleaner pictured below? Or is there a more hardcore/heavy duty Simple Green I should use?
That's the stuff I use.

works92
Approved Member

Post by works92 »

click to enlarge.

Originaly pink, i dyed it in black with rit dye powder and a microwave.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

CrazyRC wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:10 am That yellowish stuff is the lacquer paint used before the plating. Weird how more came off on mine than yours. I found that soaking them in full strength Simple Green does a pretty good job of removing it. It will jelly up a bit. I guess the chrome on mine was in worse shape than the chrome on yours. You might have to give them a scrub with an old toothbrush and the Simple Green.
Soaked them in the Simple Green for 6-7 hours and went at it with toothbrush, did absolutely nothing. Don't know what's up with these wheels, but it's no problem because they're getting painted. I'll scuff 'em up and prep for paint.
-Jerry-

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

R6cowboy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:48 pm
Soaked them in the Simple Green for 6-7 hours and went at it with toothbrush, did absolutely nothing. Don't know what's up with these wheels, but it's no problem because they're getting painted. I'll scuff 'em up and prep for paint.
Just wondering if you tried Easy-Off yet?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:57 am Just wondering if you tried Easy-Off yet?
Have not, but I do have some Brillo oven cleaner I could give a try.
-Jerry-

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

All this talk of Super Star wheels, I went and found mine....
20211013_164924.jpg
Must check my passport to see if "eclectic" is actually my middle name.... or maybe, "piles-o-crap".... :lol: :shock: :oops:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

OK, digging one up here...

Bleach, oven cleaner, purple power, etc. (Any alkaline based cleaner it seems) will take the chrome off.
This is before and after a 3hr soak in Kingsford heavy duty grill cleaner (with fresh lemon scent, even).
20240111_082816.jpg
20240111_142257.jpg
But now I'm dealing with that ding dang yellowed varnish clear coat. I guess I could try brake fluid but what do you guys think about acetone? I know it's been mentioned in the thread but...

Edit: I have purchased some acetone and will report back.
Hope you're doin' something fun.