Dyeing Super Star wheels

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Dyeing Super Star wheels

Post by CrazyRC »

Has anyone tried dyeing HPI Super Star wheels? I have a set that came with a project car I'm cleaning up, and would like to reuse the wheels. They were originally chrome, but the chrome was rubbing off, and they were looking kind of ratty, so I stripped the chrome, and was wondering if anyone had any experience dyeing these wheels.

morrisey0

Re: Dyeing Super Star wheels

Post by morrisey0 »

Not super stars, but here are some cheapy white HPIs that I was experimenting with recently. I would think that if you have the chrome off and down to plain white plastic, they should dye just fine.
Attachments
hpi wheels dyed 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Two of my recent project car purchases also came with HPI Super Star wheels, each with different offsets. Loved those wheels back in the '90s. My brother had a set on his Traxxas Hawk 2 back then and thought they were so cool. Both sets that I got still have their chrome on them nice, which I do not prefer. So I'm wanting to know how to remove the chrome so I can dye them.
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:01 pm Two of my recent project car purchases also came with HPI Super Star wheels, each with different offsets. Loved those wheels back in the '90s. My brother had a set on his Traxxas Hawk 2 back then and thought they were so cool. Both sets that I got still have their chrome on them nice, which I do not prefer. So I'm wanting to know how to remove the chrome so I can dye them.
Not HPI wheels but I have removed the chrome from Traxxas wheels with Easy-Off, as well as acetone.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

juicedcoupe wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:23 pm Not HPI wheels but I have removed the chrome from Traxxas wheels with Easy-Off, as well as acetone.
No kiddin', and here I never would've thought to use acetone or Easy-Off. Honestly never knew either of those could be used on any plastic. Is it imperative to not have the bare plastic get too much exposure to the acetone or Easy-Off? Or is the harder plastic not that reactive to lightly whipping of those chemicals?

Today my bro tried using Goof Off to remove tape residue from a lexan body. Good thing he used it on a spare scrap piece first, because it instantly ruined the lexan.
-Jerry-

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

From what I remember guys used to let the chromed nylon wheels soak in straight degreaser to remove the chrome.

Yep just watched a vid on YouTube, guy used Super Clean and it works crazy fast too.
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:38 pm
juicedcoupe wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:23 pm Not HPI wheels but I have removed the chrome from Traxxas wheels with Easy-Off, as well as acetone.
No kiddin', and here I never would've thought to use acetone or Easy-Off. Honestly never knew either of those could be used on any plastic. Is it imperative to not have the bare plastic get too much exposure to the acetone or Easy-Off? Or is the harder plastic not that reactive to lightly whipping of those chemicals?

Today my bro tried using Goof Off to remove tape residue from a lexan body. Good thing he used it on a spare scrap piece first, because it instantly ruined the lexan.
I didn't have a problem with either. The chrome on Revo wheels is pretty tough, it took a while in acetone.

For removing tape residue, I use lighter fluid. Then clean with plastic lense cleaner.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:01 pm Two of my recent project car purchases also came with HPI Super Star wheels, each with different offsets. Loved those wheels back in the '90s. My brother had a set on his Traxxas Hawk 2 back then and thought they were so cool. Both sets that I got still have their chrome on them nice, which I do not prefer. So I'm wanting to know how to remove the chrome so I can dye them.

I soak them in straight bleach. Plated chrome comes right off.

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

These are the wheels. I soaked them in dollar store bleach for a few hours, and gave them a quick wipe down with a rag. No scrubbing involved.

It's an old trick I learned building static model kits.
Attachments
20210921_195644.jpg

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Nice. Here's a set I have, the other set went to my brother (he wants his de-chromed as well). I'll give 'em the ol' bleach bath treatment and see how it works. But I have to assume the bleach the wife gets is likely walmart bleach so I hope it'll perform similar to dollar store bleach. If it were up to me, I'd go for the hardware store bleach :lol:
Attachments
HPI super star.jpeg
-Jerry-

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

I wish I could afford hardware store bleach. :lol:

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

WalMart usually sells a "Great Value" bleach with an S.H. concentration of 7.5%. I have seen some other cheap brands around 8%. The % of sodium hypochlorite is usually always listed on the bottle. If you get any higher than that, it is usually marketed as pool shock.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Acquiring this new information really got me going this morning. It's confirmed the bleach in the homestead is indeed the Great Value brand, and the sodium hypochlorite content is 7.5% as morrisey mentioned. I have absolutely no idea what the heck that means, but hope it's good.
-Jerry-

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

CrazyRC wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:11 am I wish I could afford hardware store bleach. :lol:
It's all about the S.H. concentration...... apparently :lol:
-Jerry-

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Post by BattleTrak »

Drain cleaner works too. From model car experience, there is usually a clear laquer/paint underneath the chrome that needs removed also.
-Brad