Hello from Virginia

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

racerjohnbf

Hello from Virginia

Post by racerjohnbf »

Hi all, I'm John. I'm 44, and live near Williamsburg, VA. I've been into R/C off and on since I was about 12yrs old.

It all started with a Tyco Turbo Hopper. I totally destroyed that thing, jumping anything I could find lol. Shortly after getting the Turbo I read in the newspaper that a track was opening up just a few miles away from me and got the bright idea that I was going to take the turbo hopper there to race. I had never seen a real hobby grade RC before, so I didn't know any better.

The track was called The Race Place, in West Point, VA. It had a banked carpet oval on one side and clay offroad on the other. I started hanging out there every chance I could. I got to drive the first time when one of the older guys handed me a controller and asked if I wanted to drive his RC10. I must have done ok, because, either that week or the next he entered me in a race. I don't remember exactly where I finished, but it was either high in the B main or low in the A main. I was hooked.

I saved up my grass cutting money and bought a Futaba FX10. It had a stick radio and mechanical speed controller. That speed control never seemed to work right and it wasn't long before I saved up for a Magnum Sport and Futaba electronic speed control setup. With the help of some of the older racers I was able to do pretty good with that car.

Then for Christmas I got a JRX2. Man, that thing was sooo much easier to drive! Then I got the Proformance kit, I think the following Christmas. And I've had several cars off and on since then. Even built a track in my backyard since there is nowhere nearby to race anymore.

Sorry for going on and on, but just writing this is bringing back so many fond memories. I sure do miss those days! And wish I still had those first cars!

So, I picked up a pretty good looking FX10 a while back and just the other night I bought a JRXT off ebay. I really wanted a JRXT when I was a kid! I don't intend to restore either to shelf queen status. Just clean runners with modern electronics.

Looking forward to talking to everybody!

John

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Hello from Virginia

Post by Dadio »

Welcome aboard John , we all have a similar story so you'll fit in well .
Gav
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Welcome John, and thanks for the back-story! We all enjoy reading those and most of our own stories are quite similar. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

racerjohnbf

Post by racerjohnbf »

Thanks for the warm welcomes! This looks like a great place with lots of talent and knowledge among the members.

I look forward to picking y'alls brains as I try to resurrect these classic r/c's. And hopefully I'll have something usefull to share along the way.