eBay brushless motors/esc’s

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Benders
Approved Member

eBay brushless motors/esc’s

Post by Benders »

While most mentioned is name brand motors and esc’s…I have to ask if anyone has tried the cheap ebay versions? I know these without a doubt are Chinese knock offs some of the prices I’m seeing can’t be beat…

Now before I go any deeper let me be the first to admit that I am a complete idiot when it comes to brushless…that being said here’s what I think I understand about it…

There are smart esc’s which can be turned up and down via a programming card…(although I got no clue as to what all is involved with that…) by turning the motors down you can make them more controllable…

There are regular esc’s to which you have to be light on the throttle for take offs and such…and if you have a dual motor set up you will need two esc’ on board one for each motor…it however does not take two batteries to power them…

Would someone mind shedding some light on the topic for me? Boys want their trucks hopped up and & $40 sounds a lot better to me that $200+…

Frankentruck

Re: eBay brushless motors/esc’s

Post by Frankentruck »

This is a little more than $40 each, but is a nice setup.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-xr10-justock-g3-sensored-brushless-esc-sd-g2.1-motor-combo-10.5t-hwa38020319/p1331136

What are the vehicles that are getting upgraded?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Benders wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:59 pm While most mentioned is name brand motors and esc’s…I have to ask if anyone has tried the cheap ebay versions? I know these without a doubt are Chinese knock offs some of the prices I’m seeing can’t be beat…

Now before I go any deeper let me be the first to admit that I am a complete idiot when it comes to brushless…that being said here’s what I think I understand about it…

There are smart esc’s which can be turned up and down via a programming card…(although I got no clue as to what all is involved with that…) by turning the motors down you can make them more controllable…

There are regular esc’s to which you have to be light on the throttle for take offs and such…and if you have a dual motor set up you will need two esc’ on board one for each motor…it however does not take two batteries to power them…

Would someone mind shedding some light on the topic for me? Boys want their trucks hopped up and & $40 sounds a lot better to me that $200+…
Can you post a link to what you are looking at?
At one point I was buying equipment from hobbyking.com and I would that that is pretty similar to what you are looking at.
It was nice to get into brushless and lipo for a small amount of money. I found that the stuff wasn't very reliable, but I could get a few months of work out of it before something went wrong.

The prices have gone up and at this point I'm just getting hobbywing gear since it seems to be ok enough.

All esc at this point have some kind of smart baked into them. Some are simple enough to program with a single button and some require a programming card.

What kind of cars are you looking to upgrade?

Benders
Approved Member

Post by Benders »

The list is 2 exc crush trucks, 2 exc amp mt’s, 1 exc amp buggy and my clod…from what I’ve gathered the clod needs 4300kv motors but the punch/take off needs turned down or it just wheelies all over the place…and I believe that is done by a programming card via the esc but I need to do more research to confirm if so and how to do it…I’m fairly positive the $40 setup from eBay is a dumb esc meaning you can’t turn down the power…beings my boys are young I want to be able to turn their cars down and increase the power as their driving abilities increase…the clod I just want to keep up with the boys with…here’s a link to the $40 motor and esc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GoolRC-3650-4300KV-Brushless-Motor-with-60A-ESC-Combo-Set-for-1-10-RC-Car-Truck-/384466869550?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Its going to be hard to get a Clod to keep up with a stadium truck, just saying.

Even with the cheap 20T brushed motors, Amps are fairly quick. My son and nephew both have them, I was quite surprised.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Benders
Approved Member

Post by Benders »

Yea I realize the clod ain’t got a snowballs chance…but if I can get a little more out of it maybe I can prevent it from becoming the victim of a demo derby when my boys decide to gang up on ol dad…

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

delete please

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

I am a big fan of my Surpass Hobby 4370kv 60A setup in my Raider. https://www.banggood.com/Surpass-Hobby-F540-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC-LED-Program-Card-Combo-for-1-or-12-1-or-14-RC-Crawler-Car-Vehicles-Model-Spare-Parts-p-1749052.html?gmcCountry=US&currency=USD&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1&ID=6296130&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_us&utm_content=massa&utm_campaign=aceng-pla-us-all-brand-0513-massa&ad_id=435264204190&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxIOXBhCrARIsAL1QFCauFH0_dSA8ELg3ZiDS0RGkROqy0xYDjo_JhY4ZPqo97oUU9JdkIl0aAuM0EALw_wcB
It is a F540 (finned) so it is really a 380 sized motor in a 540 size can and it is great as with the punch turned down to soft. It still has plenty of torque but it isn't too hard on the gearbox. Running 3s is silly (60+ mph) in my Raider but it is great at 2s - long battery life, good top speed (40+ mph), sounds good, doesn't get hot, and has been perfectly reliable.

The best thing is the combo and programming card was under $40 shipped using a coupon code!

There are tons of videos of this setup on my YouTube channel but here is the newest run in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5hDA_iFvhI

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Dragging an oldie up from the depths...

Would a 60a sensor ESC be sufficient for a 17.5t combo? No racing, just playing around with my kids.

Thanks in advance!

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

adam lancia wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:15 pm Dragging an oldie up from the depths...

Would a 60a sensor ESC be sufficient for a 17.5t combo? No racing, just playing around with my kids.

Thanks in advance!
yes

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

LowClassCC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:43 pm
adam lancia wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:15 pm Dragging an oldie up from the depths...

Thanks in advance!
yes
Excellent, thanks!