Gotta have it BITD vs today

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Frankentruck

Gotta have it BITD vs today

Post by Frankentruck »

As I hunt for kits, motors, upgrades, etc I keep seeing a difference between what used to be desirable and what currently brings the big $$$. It seems like currently, stock is king. All original, no mods. For brushed motors, 27T stock motors seems to bring the same prices as modified motors. Inconceivable! Even the blue label Associated Stock motors bring some big $$$ too. But what really surprises me is that a very nice RC10 Graphite or TQ10 can be had for less than a medium nice gold pan RC10. It's like getting a Corvette for less than a Camaro, or a 911 for less than a Boxster. It must be driven by nastolgia for what people used to have. But back then, it was all about get the upgrades to get faster. I know that wanting to stay in the vintage stuff means that speed isn't 100% top priority, but speed has to be cool too. 😎

... and the Tamiya Hornet! Good luck picking up a beater for a beater price!
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Re: Gotta have it BITD vs today

Post by juicedcoupe »

With the exception of pan cars, none of my stuff has anything hotter than a 17T in it, most have stocks or super stocks.

I think that the desirable stocks tend to bring good money, particularly if they are in good shape. Nobody really cares about beat up handout motors.

It may have something to do with that many of the better looking vintage motors were stocks. Many were colorful and had cool labels.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

BattleTrak

Post by BattleTrak »

I have noticed this too.. Like the full size car world, a vehicle that is as original as possible with as many OE/NOS parts is most desirable vs. something that has been modernized. And bonus points if it’s an iconic year/paint color..box art. I appreciate that stuff and my botm JRX2 is like that..but I have more fun with the customizing and upgrades. If you watch car shows...it’s like Graveyard Carz vs Texas Metal! Haha..
-Brad

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

BattleTrak wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:53 pm I have noticed this too.. Like the full size car world, a vehicle that is as original as possible with as many OE/NOS parts is most desirable vs. something that has been modernized. And bonus points if it’s an iconic year/paint color..box art. I appreciate that stuff and my botm JRX2 is like that..but I have more fun with the customizing and upgrades. If you watch car shows...it’s like Graveyard Carz vs Texas Metal! Haha..
I totally understand the desire for no mods OE automobiles. Like the collector coin that hasn't been polished.

I had the most rad post, but after typing it out it just read like the rantings of an unhinged A-hole with level 7 OCD. It was about leaving things factory and "stock" on 1:1 automobiles. :roll:
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I maybe shouldn't complain because I do like getting the higher end, higher performance parts and kits for the lower prices (which still aren't always cheap). It's just really surprising. Maybe people don't know the difference.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

I think there is a gap between the 'lightly' modified parts and more exotic ones. I'm not finding any composite craft or RPM chassis going for less than a goldpan. The RPM, A&L and thorp transmissions are still more than solid condition 6 gear and 2.25 stealth units by a good chunk of change. I have seen the more common associated composite chassis going for something that seems reasonable.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

The last Graphite and TQ chassis plates that I bought were several times that of similar condition aluminum pans. Finding deals on decent nose plates seems to be the problem, which is why my current project uses a truck nose.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I can also understand why factory original 1:1 vehicles are more desirable since they become rarer as time goes on. Unless you have something that's worth huge money if kept stock, it's just way too boring for me. For example, I have an 87 El Camino SS which only an estimated 861 were produced. There's absolutely no way I'd drive it the way it came off the showroom floor.

It blows me away how much vintage R/C stuff is going for these days. It's not even contained to the nice stuff either. Well used, worn out, broken, beat down, scratched up etc... vehicles and parts are fetching head-scratching ridiculous amounts. I don't understand what has warranted the current demand that has never existed up until this point. Why the sudden change?

Dessertrat
Approved Member

Post by Dessertrat »

I’m not sure why the sudden change, because I only recently started getting back into rc’s again. I was surprised at some prices especially on eBay, but that’s probably already been way to death on another thread.

Dessertrat
Approved Member

Post by Dessertrat »

But to go back to the main topic. I personally can make an argument to search for and locate a stock original car because they’re kinda like art to me…. And if in the process of looking for an original one, I find something modified then I can talk myself into buying that because I’ll be more likely to run it. Hopefully that made sense.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:33 pm
I totally understand the desire for no mods OE automobiles. Like the collector coin that hasn't been polished.

I had the most rad post, but after typing it out it just read like the rantings of an unhinged A-hole with level 7 OCD. It was about leaving things factory and "stock" on 1:1 automobiles. :roll:
Post it!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I never raced an RC10 back in the day so when I went looking for one I had an image in my mind of a box stock car , it's what I wanted , Andy's arms and mod steering etc meant nothing to me , when I built my Hotshot I wanted to reproduce my race car and that meant it needed all the trick bits , I'm sure that's what drives most people not currently racing , if I ever get back into racing my vintage cars then I might start looking for the old custom parts . As to the price , well it's been a while since I could afford even a worn runner to restore .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Lowgear wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:18 pm ...
It blows me away how much vintage R/C stuff is going for these days. It's not even contained to the nice stuff either. Well used, worn out, broken, beat down, scratched up etc... vehicles and parts are fetching head-scratching ridiculous amounts. I don't understand what has warranted the current demand that has never existed up until this point. Why the sudden change?
USPS shipping costs are part of the reason. They have risen a bunch in the last few years.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Try living in another country with next to no supply and a crappy dollar conversion, not to mention absurd shipping costs AND the government's brilliant idea to take 10%+ of every sale.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Yeah sales tax is another new added expense for sellers too. EBay adds any sales tax to the total sale price before it takes out it's fees which cuts into how money much a seller makes.