Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TRX-1-3

Re: Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Post by TRX-1-3 »

I'm just walking around the house, making sure the latest buggy goes with me so I can gaze upon it. Nothing to see here. I'm not a weirdo.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:40 am I'm just walking around the house, making sure the latest buggy goes with me so I can gaze upon it. Nothing to see here. I'm not a weirdo.
Sounds interesting :lol:
-Jerry-

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

R6cowboy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:42 pm
TRX-1-3 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:40 am I'm just walking around the house, making sure the latest buggy goes with me so I can gaze upon it. Nothing to see here. I'm not a weirdo.
Well at least I was fully clothed, not Farmered out in my skivvies on the couch making kissy face with it.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:55 pm
R6cowboy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:42 pm
Well at least I was fully clothed, not Farmered out in my skivvies on the couch making kissy face with it.
Well, not again, anyway....
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Good fund-raising opportunity, RC10 Talk calendar?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

RC10th wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:45 pm Good fund-raising opportunity, RC10 Talk calendar?
Yeah, but with build of the year qualifiers, machines only.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:03 pm
RC10th wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:45 pm Good fund-raising opportunity, RC10 Talk calendar?
Yeah, but with build of the year qualifiers, machines only.
Thank God
-Jerry-

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Just a little rant I needed to get off my chest, about the epitome of the luck I have been having lately. I have this little project Volvo I have been playing with lately (I know, I know, but I have plans for it :D ), so this weekend was motor mounts. It has a vibration under acceleration, and it has been driving me crazy. So, spent Saturday with the car up on ramps, and get 4 of the 5 replaced, as the 5th requires the wheel to be removed. Start off Sunday thinking I should go ahead and change the oil as I have no idea of this car's history and it is there on ramps with the under plastic off. Look up what oil and filter I need, and head to the auto parts store as soon as they open. Get home and drain and remove filter. Now, this being weird euro, has a paper filter element inside a plastic reusable threaded "cup" if you will. The filter housing is kinda encased into an opening around the engine, so you can't get a direct fit on it, but with everything dry, I can get a strap wrench on it enough to grip and get it off. Putting it back on, no such luck! Just having a little bit of oil on the plastic case makes it slippery enough that the strap wrench won't work at all. So, whatever, I need the proper filter wrench ............... but the size I need is specific to Volvo and BMW, and not a single local auto parts store has one in stock. The only way I can get my hands on one that day is with a 17-piece kit from HFT for a whopping $69. I don't care at this point, I want to get this thing on the road and feel the pleasure of no vibration!!! Head to the HFT about 25 minutes south of me, that says they have them in stock online, and nope, they don't. Get them to check the stock of the store about 20 minutes north of me, and they have one. Whatever, let's do this! Get to that store, and there are like thirty people in line. I find the kit, and stand in line for 20 minutes, and head home. Get home and open it up, and there is one wrench missing from the kit .................. guess which one?

Then decide to move on to replacing a headlight bulb that was out. Again, weird euro, I have to remove half the front bumper to remove the headlight assembly, to remove the bulb. Finally get to it, and it isn't really the bulb as much as the plug that is burnt up and arcing out. Have to order a new H11 plug.

Then while just playing around under the hood, I hit my hand up against a random vacuum switch assembly, and it just breaks off and a spring pops out, landing in nowhere land. Have to order a new one of those.

Then just decide to install a hitch receiver on it, and had to whack it a couple of times with a sledge hammer, but it went on fairly well.

So, in about 5 hours or so of working on the car on Sunday, I got a hitch installed! :roll:
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

morrisey0 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:58 pm Just a little rant I needed to get off my chest, about the epitome of the luck I have been having lately.
Sounds a lot like my usual endeavors. I need to change the oil in the truck. Back truck out of garage, but to get to my tools I have to clean off the bench, but before I can clean the bench, I've got to move some other stuff out of the way. Oh, there's that widget I was supposed to fix for the wife, better get that done real quick. One thing leads to another for another 4 or 5 hours until I'm tired and done for the day, what did I accomplish? I backed the truck out of the garage . . . :? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I can relate! It's one of the reasons why I enjoy sleeping into the afternoon. The less I'm awake during the day, the less I have to put up with. Hey, it works. :lol:

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Halgar wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:49 am
morrisey0 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:58 pm Just a little rant I needed to get off my chest, about the epitome of the luck I have been having lately.
Sounds a lot like my usual endeavors. I need to change the oil in the truck. Back truck out of garage, but to get to my tools I have to clean off the bench, but before I can clean the bench, I've got to move some other stuff out of the way. Oh, there's that widget I was supposed to fix for the wife, better get that done real quick. One thing leads to another for another 4 or 5 hours until I'm tired and done for the day, what did I accomplish? I backed the truck out of the garage . . . :? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The old saying: "Nothing takes 5 minutes."

And as long as we are on old sayings, there is an old Korean saying:

"when too many people row the boat, the boat ends up in the mountains."

Mr. Chong told me that one at the shop one day when it was a (as I was thinking) "too many fingers in the pie" scenario.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:05 am And as long as we are on old sayings, there is an old Korean saying:

"when too many people row the boat, the boat ends up in the mountains."

Holy crap... I can read Korean!!!

:mrgreen:

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

morrisey0 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:58 pm
So, in about 5 hours or so of working on the car on Sunday, I got a hitch installed! :roll:
Some cars are like that. :? They just refuse to cooperate. My Comet just about killed my enthusiasm for working on old cars. My F100 (so far) is the opposite. Parts that are supposed to fit, do fit, and the problem I am trying to solve gets solved :D

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Halgar wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:49 am I need to change the oil in the truck. Back truck out of garage, but to get to my tools I have to clean off the bench, but before I can clean the bench, I've got to move some other stuff out of the way.
For me, that just turns into, "well, this stuff on the bench needs a home." So, now I need to go get a cabinet or build a shelf for those things. But have to move other things to make room for the new cabinet / shelf, so that has to be organized, and to do that, this over here needs to be cleaned out because it is a mess and I don't need half of what is in there. Then pops up the, "you know, I have never liked having this over here, and it would be more convenient over there, so while I am moving stuff, I might as well." So, when said and done, I spend the weekend installing a cabinet and cleaning out half the garage. :lol:
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

morrisey0 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:06 am For me, that just turns into,
Yes, this, exactly! The house I'm currently in is wrong in every way! It's too small, poorly laid out, no storage. To get to the backyard I have to go out through the garage, which is the side of the house and around. This makes the backyard completely inaccessible and unusable because getting around my truck requires one to walk sideways down one side, across the back and up the other side. I'm a contractor, so my truck is parked in the garage for security purposes. Where do extra materials get stored? Long stuff is on the floor under the truck, plywood leans against the bench. There's just no room for anything, which means I literally trip over it until I can't stand it anymore and start throwing stuff away. This is great! I no longer trip over it and I've got more room for stuff, which builds up again . . . and again . . . and again . . . and . . . :roll: :lol:

It doesn't help that this is a rental, so I can't just build a storage shed. I have collected cabinets as they've become available for the garage, that has added some storage and helped a bit, but still, just not enough room for everything to have a place and always be put in it's place.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!