Charger recommendations for 2022

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Charger recommendations for 2022

Post by XLR8 »

I'm shopping for a simple inexpensive (<$50) but reliable AC charger that will handle 6 cell NiMH and 2s Lipo batteries.
I've searched this forum and the last charger conversation was posted four years ago so maybe it's time for an update?

I'll admit that I'm somewhat clueless on this topic as I haven't bought a charger in about 8 or 9 years. The charger I use most is an old Hitec 4X-80 and it's worked great for all these years so after a quick look online, I'm drawn to the modern Hitec RDX1 mini as a inexpensive single battery charger.

Is there something different that you use and could recommend?

Doug

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Re: Charger recommendations for 2022

Post by BattleTrak »

I have had the Hitec RDX1 for a few years. After seeing a lot of recommendations and good reviews I decided to take a chance on it. It is my only modern charger and works well with my 6 cell Nimh, 2S and 3S batteries. One nice feature is being able to store 10 different charge settings for different batteries.
-Brad

duckhead
Approved Member

Post by duckhead »

I have two high end iChargers, but I can also vouch for Hitec for an economical multi-chemistry charger. I have the precursor to the RDX1, the X1 AX Plus, and it has been rock solid. I've used it for everything from LiPo to NiCd and it has been great.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Besides max current and number of batteries supported what are the differences between chargers?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Some can do things like cycling and discharging nickel batteries or putting a storage charge on lithium batteries.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Post by BattleTrak »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:48 pm Some can do things like cycling and discharging nickel batteries or putting a storage charge on lithium batteries.
That is another thing the RDX1 does.. discharge and storage charges for lipos.
-Brad

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:48 pm Some can do things like cycling and discharging nickel batteries or putting a storage charge on lithium batteries.
Can't all chargers do that ?

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

JosephS wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:14 am
That's an interesting question so I've just taken a look at all chargers listed on AMains site and none of the chargers priced below $45 mention cycling, discharging or storage charge. If they had any of those features, I think they would be included in the description and they are for the higher priced chargers.
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

No.
XLR8 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:14 am That's an interesting question so I've just taken a look at all chargers listed on AMains site and none of the chargers priced below $45 mention cycling, discharging or storage charge. If they had any of those features, I think they would be included in the description and they are for the higher priced chargers.
This.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:59 am
No.
XLR8 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:14 am That's an interesting question so I've just taken a look at all chargers listed on AMains site and none of the chargers priced below $45 mention cycling, discharging or storage charge. If they had any of those features, I think they would be included in the description and they are for the higher priced chargers.
This.
I thought this because I picked up an off brand charger years ago at Frys electronics for not much money,($19) that does all of that. I just assumed 'real' chargers could all do that.

I guess I could recommend it since they seem to be still selling it and I have had mine for the better part of a decade. The charge was limited to 5A and the discharge limited to 1a on my model.

I've used it on NiCad, NiMH, Lipo and lead acid batteries and it's been fine on all of them.

It doesn't allow for setting the individual cell voltage higher for the HV lipo and the 5a limit on my older version takes a long time to charge a big pack. The anodizing on the case has turned brown and the lcd had lines on it when my youngest submerged it in water while charging.

RustyBall
Approved Member

Post by RustyBall »

You really can’t go wrong with a Hitec charger, great bang for the buck.
RC10 B3 / RC10 B6.1FL / RC10 B64D / RC10 B74.1D / RC10 T2 / RC10 T6.1

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Come on Doug! We all spends hundreds on EACH car we build, and then want to charge them all with a $45 charger?!?! :mrgreen:

These are ~$85 chargers. I bought the first one because I am like a child when it comes to touchscreens, and the big octopus cable keeps me from having to keep up with multiple cables, and the reviews were good. I had to buy a second one once I started running a 2 x 3S vehicle. I have zero complaints about them.
Attachments
rc chargers 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:08 pm Come on Doug! We all spends hundreds on EACH car we build, and then want to charge them all with a $45 charger?!?! :mrgreen:

These are ~$85 chargers. I bought the first one because I am like a child when it comes to touchscreens, and the big octopus cable keeps me from having to keep up with multiple cables, and the reviews were good. I had to buy a second one once I started running a 2 x 3S vehicle. I have zero complaints about them.
hahaha... I was waiting for someone to question my motives and you were first to do so.

This is to go with the Bruiser clone gift for my buddy who is sick.

Those seem like great chargers, maybe a bit outside my price range for said gift. Still, this is "charger recommendations" so it's good to include them here.
I think I have some Tenergy Lipo batteries.
Holy smokes, that's a lot of connectors. You even have XT60 to EC3 adapters. That's a lot of connectors! :lol:
Doug

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:08 pm Come on Doug! We all spends hundreds on EACH car we build, and then want to charge them all with a $45 charger?!?! :mrgreen:

Seems to be a good brand. I have the little brother to that one.

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

5 min into this video has some solid info! :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LxcLZa06RXo&feature=youtu.be

I have a Turnigy Accucel6 which is similar and it works for non high voltage LIPOs.