** 2022 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 23-25 **

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stickboy007
Approved Member

Re: ** 2022 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 23-25 **

Post by stickboy007 »

dldiaz wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:52 pm Yes the 2wd class is much faster - any evolution of the original short-arm RC10 or the 5-link JRX-2, would be in the 2wd class (with open tire choice, 17.5 brushless, etc.).

The plastic chassis caveat is only for "Classics" class, which has evolved mostly into 4wd entry-level (plastic chassis) models.
- But yes the silver-can does level the playing field in "Classics", and decreases broken parts I think as well?!?
- Tires are huge though, as it is a very smooth indoor surface.
- Perhaps on a loamy outdoor track those old knobby tires wouldn't be such a deficit?
- I never made it to VONats when it was outdoors.

Edit:
Sport-Tuned motor for Classics (black or newer silver can)

True "silver-can" motors are for the Wheelie class!! Yeehaw!

4wd is the ticket for Classic class. The DF-01 chassis is ludicrously good, even if it's made of brittle ABS plastic. I love my Dirt Thrasher and it's at a point where it's super easy to drive/jump/corner. It's almost perfect. That simply means I have to bring something else this year ;)

I'll finally be able to come without wife/kids this time, which means I can stay/practice later on Friday and Saturday. Sunday will be a rough drive home, though...

dldiaz
Approved Member

Re: ** 2022 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 23-25 **

Post by dldiaz »

stickboy007 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:44 pm
I'll finally be able to come without wife/kids this time, which means I can stay/practice later on Friday and Saturday. Sunday will be a rough drive home, though...

You can't have any more practice time - you are already too fast!! :mrgreen:

Kidding. I am looking forward to the races!
-dldiaz

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

dldiaz wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:30 pm
stickboy007 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:44 pm

You can't have any more practice time - you are already too fast!! :mrgreen:

Kidding. I am looking forward to the races!
Mark is faster, so I need more time to catch him ;)

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

Haha! Yeah and Mark doesn't even practice - seems like he learns the track in Heat #1 and starts winning by Heat #2 !! :lol:

I think I read in an R/C Excitement update that they are integrating their indoor off-road track with an indoor dirt oval.
- So I guess we will have at least one long, flat straight away and a big sweeping turn, before cutting off into the off-road section?
-dldiaz

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Maybe? I have no idea.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

The more recent videos on their FB page looks like a normal off road track.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

scr8p wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:37 pm The more recent videos on their FB page looks like a normal off road track.
They made a post recently about modifying the track to accommodate oval and off-road, but it kind of sounded like that won't happen right away. My bet/hope is they do that after VONATS, when the indoor season actually starts.

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

I called R/C Excitement the other day to ask about track layout - they said the track will not change from those most recent videos on Facebook, that will be our layout for VONats.
-dldiaz

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

dldiaz wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:35 pm I called R/C Excitement the other day to ask about track layout - they said the track will not change from those most recent videos on Facebook, that will be our layout for VONats.
Good to know. Time to start studying! ;)

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Here's a good FPV of a 4wd buggy race on the current layout. Nice technical layout and nothing too dangerous for vintage. The middle triple is pretty long, though, so it remains to be seen whether that can be cleared consistently with a 10.5 motor. Maybe with the right boost profile to get lots of low-end punch. My guess is Mark will go for it and probably find a way to make it, thus making me look like an idiot ;)

All other classes will likely double-single that. As long as those valleys are swept clean, then it should be fine. Otherwise there could be a lot of crashes there as people struggle for grip approaching the single. I really like the technical sequence near the start/finish, especially that tiny table top into a left hander. Landing that perfectly will be very important for a good lap time.

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Post by Mark Westerfield »

Looks totally doable with 10.5. If everybody else is double, single jumping it, then I will double, single it. Otherwise if you try to triple, you just end up driving up the back of someone else's car that is slow to double or land on someone's car that is slow landing the single, which risks breaking your car or crashing - which is a long wait for corner marshal's from the outside of the track that wait for clear traffic to run across.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Mark Westerfield wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:07 am Looks totally doable with 10.5. If everybody else is double, single jumping it, then I will double, single it. Otherwise if you try to triple, you just end up driving up the back of someone else's car that is slow to double or land on someone's car that is slow landing the single, which risks breaking your car or crashing - which is a long wait for corner marshal's from the outside of the track that wait for clear traffic to run across.
I'm thinking with a longer approach, it's possible to do consistently with a 10.5. Just seems a bit of a stretch with the amount of space you have. I could be wrong, though...I don't race every weekend anymore like you do. ;)

CCristo

Post by CCristo »

The triple is going to be reworked for the Vintage Nats. I'm not sure if it's going to be completely leveled or just knocked down a bit from its current size, but it will be made vintage car friendly

jbmeyer13
Approved Member

Post by jbmeyer13 »

Not having jumps along the back wall will reduce the carnage drastically. I heard that double was going to be coverted to a tabletop but think it would be better if it was just reduced a bit.

When I called last week to get an update on the layout they said the tweaks were going to be made this week but wouldn't confirm what they would be. If anyone gets an updated photo then please post.