The RC10 Grasshopper

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

The RC10 Grasshopper

Post by TokyoProf »

This is my first "RC10 runner" and I had a spare Tamiya grasshopper body around. This is how two iconic cars look together :). A nice match?

The gold pan chassis and the grasshopper body actually line up together from the top and side view. I just need the body to sit flush with the gold pan! I need a specially cut rear suspension tower (that brings the shock inward so it fits in between the roll cage) and a top suspension mount that brings the rear shock slightly inward or forward at the top (so the shock doesn't hit the rear bulkhead) and everything fits nicely inside. How to keep the body attached is another challenge.
Attachments
IMG_6394.JPG
IMG_6395.JPG
IMG_6397.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

Frankentruck

Re: The RC10 Grasshopper

Post by Frankentruck »

I think you and Dadio are almost ready to form a gang of ringers to enter into a Grasshopper racing league. Yours will be the wolf in sheep's clothing and his will be a bionic Grasshopper.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

Frankentruck wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:50 pm bionic Grasshopper.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope the OP gets it sorted, as I always liked the look of the Grasshopper.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

Frankentruck wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:50 pm I think you and Dadio are almost ready to form a gang of ringers to enter into a Grasshopper racing league. Yours will be the wolf in sheep's clothing and his will be a bionic Grasshopper.
It's a goooood idea. Maybe its time to create an RC10Talk Champions Cup with a Grasshopper Class (I can donate a Grasshopper to the winner).
By the way Dadio's 3D printing stuff is pretty impressive--he does it for a lot of makes!
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

TokyoProf wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:52 pm
Frankentruck wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:50 pm I think you and Dadio are almost ready to form a gang of ringers to enter into a Grasshopper racing league. Yours will be the wolf in sheep's clothing and his will be a bionic Grasshopper.
It's a goooood idea. Maybe its time to create an RC10Talk Champions Cup with a Grasshopper Class (I can donate a Grasshopper to the winner).
By the way Dadio's 3D printing stuff is pretty impressive--he does it for a lot of makes!
Or a Hopper of the month contest :lol:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The RC10 shock towers are hard to fit into a Grasshopper body , I'm still looking at ways to make a lookalike front tower for my hopper .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

Dadio wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:47 am The RC10 shock towers are hard to fit into a Grasshopper body , I'm still looking at ways to make a lookalike front tower for my hopper .
Can you make some shock towers that allow the rear shocks to move inward (so the shocks tuck inside the grasshopper rollcage) and frontward at the top (so the rear shocks lean forward and don't hit the white camber link part of the rear bulkhead)? No rush of course lol, but someday...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

TokyoProf wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:03 am
Dadio wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:47 am The RC10 shock towers are hard to fit into a Grasshopper body , I'm still looking at ways to make a lookalike front tower for my hopper .
Can you make some shock towers that allow the rear shocks to move inward (so the shocks tuck inside the grasshopper rollcage) and frontward at the top (so the rear shocks lean forward and don't hit the white camber link part of the rear bulkhead)? No rush of course lol, but someday...
I'll have a go , it's going to be quite radical , just thought about the RC10DS , don't they have much shorter shocks ?

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

[/quote]
I'll have a go , it's going to be quite radical , just thought about the RC10DS , don't they have much shorter shocks ?
[/quote]

I'm not sure about the RC10DS, but the shock tower will have to be modified for the body to sit flush with the chassis. Seeing the standard shocks inside the roll cage would look nice as well. Look forward to your creation.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Dadio wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:22 am I'll have a go , it's going to be quite radical , just thought about the RC10DS , don't they have much shorter shocks ?
They are much, much shorter.

They use the .56 body, which is the same as the short arm front shocks. But they use an even shorter .35 shaft.

I have test fitted 1.02 truck front shocks on the rear of lowered buggies (fit decent enough). There are also some dirt oval shock towers that allow .71 buggy fronts to be used in the rear.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

juicedcoupe wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:02 pm
Dadio wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:22 am I'll have a go , it's going to be quite radical , just thought about the RC10DS , don't they have much shorter shocks ?
They are much, much shorter.

They use the .56 body, which is the same as the short arm front shocks. But they use an even shorter .35 shaft.

I have test fitted 1.02 truck front shocks on the rear of lowered buggies (fit decent enough). There are also some dirt oval shock towers that allow .71 buggy fronts to be used in the rear.
I've only got stock length shocks on a 6 gear to use as a model , I guess we see where I can get from there .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

This is just a rough job to check it fits .
IMG_20220804_161509_842.jpg
IMG_20220804_161551_735.jpg
IMG_20220804_161612_209.jpg
IMG_20220804_161659_076.jpg
I'll pretty it up a bit and make it stronger and easier to print , this is pretty niche and I don't think it's worth publishing , do you want me to send you the file so you can get it printed locally or do you want me to print and post it , post is going to cost a bit but it's up to you .
The limit of fitting snugly now is the body hitting the motor plate , a little trim will lower it down a bit .

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Nicely done! That tucks in more nicely than I thought it would.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

With the body trimmed over the motor plate it will sit lower , the shocks hopefully will still clear the rear roof bars with the body fully down .

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

Dadio wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:56 pm With the body trimmed over the motor plate it will sit lower , the shocks hopefully will still clear the rear roof bars with the body fully down .
Dadio, that is amazing work! That is EXACTLY what I had in mind for putting a grasshopper body on an RC10. The positioning of the shocks looks perfect. Thanks for taking up the project, and was surprised by how fast you got that thing designed. Will send you a private message after I return to get ahold of the item/design. Been on family vacation...thanks again. Peace everyone!