Traxxas sending cease and desist letters to aftermarket companies then backing off.

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Re: Traxxas sending cease and desist letters to aftermarket companies then backing off.

Post by Chewbacca »

GoMachV wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:27 pm If they went after HBO Max then I'm pretty sure they would have no problem going after anyone for any reason. Polar opposite companies with nothing in common INCLUDING the name Max/Maxx. How could anyone be looking for a Tmaxx part and end up buying a one year subscription to HBO thinking Traxxas made it. Come on. Anyone that supports this company and their way has never owned a small business. The few parts we make for them are mostly new old stock and for vintage rigs, I'll never waste my time and effort developing another piece for their garbage company. Traxxas quit being good for the hobby a long time ago.
Oh NO! At some point down the road I MIGHT neet a SRP / TCP chassis from you, but I'll contact you directly for that. ;)

Unfortunately Traxxas has no interest in vintage stuff even their own. One more care not making a successful restoration in a potential customer for a new Traxxas vehicle in their eyes.

I also wondered about RPM parts, when Traxxas started releasing theit own "Heavy Duty Arms" for a bunch of their lineup. Those are in direct competition with the RPM arms.

One way or the other a D*** move for sure.
*** POWDER - KING ***

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Traxxas sending cease and desist letters to aftermarket companies then backing off.

Post by GoMachV »

Also funny when you look at their history and see their first car, the Wildcat, is nowhere to be found. Company was started after their first car was released and recalled :lol: huh

If Tamiya had shown them the same "respect" they are showing others, there wouldn't be a Traxxas today.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Never been a Traxxas fan, and gladly don't support them. I recently convinced my brother to stray away from Traxxas and replace them with Arrma, he's been very pleased with that decision so far.
-Jerry-

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Dang it, now I'm going to have to start looking for a Wildcat, just because it's weird 🤣
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I just happened to see this and it made me laugh....

fast eddy.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

$$$$$$$$$
dcvkul8-c06be3d6-9d83-45ff-a21e-604260334783.jpg
Hope you're doin' something fun.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

It all reminds me of a song by Budgie, later Metallica:

Breadfan
Take it all away
Never give an inch
Gotta make a mint
Gotta make me a million

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

1911Colt wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:52 am It all reminds me of a song by Budgie, later Metallica:

Breadfan
Take it all away
Never give an inch
Gotta make a mint
Gotta make me a million
I don't know why, but that reminds me of Dire Straits - Money for Nothin
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

intrepidaf

Post by intrepidaf »

So no one is allowed to design aftermarket parts for the traxxas platform and market it as such? "say their parts are made for say the Traxxas Slash, T-Maxx, etc." that would explain why its so hard to find a decently priced shell. Can you get around this using different lingo "mraxxas taxx" etc? I'm pretty sure search booleans would still return relevant results in that example. Or is a good supply of aftermarket options not possible with traxxas and plenty of people have tried.
K-TOWN-KITT wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:38 pm On April 3rd Traxxas sent out cease and desist letters to some aftermarket companies for trademark infringement. Traxxas said these companies can not say their parts are made for say the Traxxas Slash, T-Maxx, etc. Then on April 12th Traxxas canceled orders for copyright infringement after some backlash and put out these guidelines.

https://traxxas.com/traxxas-trademark-guidelines

I have to say I am not a huge traxxas fan but I have enjoyed some of their models over the years. From the T-Maxx trucks all the way back to the Hawks and Eagles in the 80's and even then I wished there were upgrades available because those trucks were crap. I remember how frustrating it was to keep my Hawk running. I must of changed the chassis three times after it cracked in the rear not to mention how many times I had to change the outdrives. To be fair, I did have a twister motor in the truck. Not the doo doo stock 540. For a long time Traxxas sold decent rc's that had usual parts breaking with little or no upgrades, only OEM replacement parts. Thank god there were some aftermarket parts through other companies for some of these rc's. We all know that after breaking an arm or two, you buy a pair or set of RPM arms or when you bend up some turnbuckles, you bought Technacraft. If it were not for aftermarket companies and their parts some people may have lost interest in the hobby and Traxxas. But now that Traxxas is on top of the heap and sells aftermarket parts, they don't want other companies making parts for their rc's or is it that other companies make better parts for their rc's than they do. Shame on you Traxxas.

20170825_223454.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

You can make parts "to fit" or "compatible with" Traxxas vehicles. You cannot say "Traxxas bandit widget" it needs to be "widget compatible with Traxxas bandit" and their trademarks cannot be part of the web url. To be honest it makes total sense now, I still don't like their tactics but at least they now have made it clear what you can and cannot do. They want to make sure there is no confusion that the part you are buying is not made by or endorsed by Traxxas.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

intrepidaf

Post by intrepidaf »

Oh that's fair. Thanks.

Radioflash8

Post by Radioflash8 »

If I have any problem with Traxxas, it's how they treat LHS's more than anything else. They will bully them if they don't sell enough chargers/batteries, or if they carry parts for competitors.

As far as I know they've done nothing to RPM, but Jconcepts (and likely Proline) have to play the "For Traxxas" game, and Traxxas has its own heavy duty a-arm hop-ups now (which should just come standard from the get go imo). They are certainly trying to fight against the aftermarket.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Oh yeah, they are complete trash imo and they will never get a penny from me. I was only referring to the fact they actually finally made it clear what their beef was.

I mean, they tried to sue HBO Max. Come on.
Factory Works website

Radioflash8

Post by Radioflash8 »

GoMachV wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:12 pm Oh yeah, they are complete trash imo and they will never get a penny from me. I was only referring to the fact they actually finally made it clear what their beef was.

I mean, they tried to sue HBO Max. Come on.
Once mine break (or I get bored) I'll probably sell my Traxxas stuff, I try to sway others to other brands due to how dated some Traxxas stuff is (like their 2wd line-up).

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

This is what happens when you let the bean counters and out of control legal team run your company.

It's a shame really, I've had a lot of fun with their models over the years, mostly in spec racing but I'd be remiss to buy another model from them at this rate unless they decide to stop being ridiculous with these types of lawsuits. I don't see that happening any time soon though.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.