Hot Trick Red Fox (Tamiya Fox conversion)

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Radioflash8

Hot Trick Red Fox (Tamiya Fox conversion)

Post by Radioflash8 »

I picked this old thing up at a swap meet, does anyone know what exactly these are and what the scoop is?
Attachments
20230604_222754.jpg.76c544fb41cb9acebe0898049e7d7f90.jpg
20230604_222918.jpg.7e2bdc440be776bb681f3f1f3f94671a.jpg
20230605_154341.jpg

Frankentruck

Re: Hot Trick Red Fox (Tamiya Fox conversion)

Post by Frankentruck »

Hot Trick was an aftermarket parts company that most used flat metal plates (I think typically aluminum) for replacement parts. That looks like a Tamiya Fox that got the plastic chassis replaced with the Hot Trick kit.

Well, maybe is started out as a Tamiya Fox. There's a few RC10 parts in the mix too.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

From my experience, those esc's prefer a transmitter with 50/50 range.

Not saying thats the problem, just something I've noticed.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Radioflash8

Post by Radioflash8 »

Frankentruck wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:47 pm Hot Trick was an aftermarket parts company that most used flat metal plates (I think typically aluminum) for replacement parts. That looks like a Tamiya Fox that got the plastic chassis replaced with the Hot Trick kit.

Well, maybe is started out as a Tamiya Fox. There's a few RC10 parts in the mix too.
Thanks for the info, the transmission, wheels, and some of the front a-arms look like they came from a Fox. It has metal rear dog bones which I'm not sure where they came from.
juicedcoupe wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:01 pm From my experience, those esc's prefer a transmitter with 50/50 range.
It wouldn't power on when I plugged my battery in (7.2 Nimh), do they have a switch that I missed or are old Futabas always on?

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

Pretty much a full boat Hot Trick conversion...nice!

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Pretty much a "Holy Grail"...I hope u do it justice with a full documented resto!...if not u need to sell it to me and I will!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Hi there, really cool to see this Red Fox! I had a Fox in the 80's which soon got a full Hot Trick conversion with RC10 shocks and Thorp drive line. Custom fees and trades profit made Hot Trick awfully expensive here, and to my knowledge I was the only one in Norway to have this platform. Still have my old Red Fox (luckily never sold it!), and later I've aquired two other cars. One I'm using for vintage racing - really fun car to drive. A picture of one of mine is in this thread: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=27601

Radioflash8

Post by Radioflash8 »

coxbros1 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:22 pm Pretty much a "Holy Grail"...I hope u do it justice with a full documented resto!...if not u need to sell it to me and I will!
It really wouldn't need much as far as I can tell, just new tires/wheels and a Fox (or "Novafox") shell, shock oil...just a bit annoying that Tamiya ended the re-release.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

The rere novafox is coming back soon. There is a preorder for them that I've been on for a few months. I think it said they are due in August, meaning part should follow shortly.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Just want to give a second opinion on body work for the Red Fox. The original Fox body is small compared to many other 1/10 scale buggies, and designed to wrap around the original monocoque chassis. As you can see it looks something like a 1/11 scale besides a Protech for the RC10. The Hot Trick kit turn the car much closer to a RC10 than a Fox, and the original Fox body is simply a terrible fit - short, much too narrow, too high round your battery section not covering the sides of this area at all and too low over the rear shock struts (not to mention the wing). Anything for a standard RC10 platform is way better, along with the body you already have.

Seems to be more or less a brim full conversion. Upper and lower rear arms, chassis, steering kit, front end and shock mounts. Even looks like you have the Hot Trick dog bone conversion for the original diff, unless it's Thorp. Thorp has both the dog bone conversion for the original diff and the ball diff. Only thing from Hot Trick I can't see is the optional radio plate.

All the best for your Red Fox project :D
Attachments
20230607_195556.jpg

Radioflash8

Post by Radioflash8 »

LurkingCAT wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:32 pm Just want to give a second opinion on body work for the Red Fox. The original Fox body is small compared to many other 1/10 scale buggies, and designed to wrap around the original monocoque chassis.

Seems to be more or less a brim full conversion. Upper and lower rear arms, chassis, steering kit, front end and shock mounts. Even looks like you have the Hot Trick dog bone conversion for the original diff, unless it's Thorp. Thorp has both the dog bone conversion for the original diff and the ball diff. Only thing from Hot Trick I can't see is the optional radio plate.

All the best for your Red Fox project :D
Thanks for the heads up, iI'd like to replace the tires and do maintenence for now, otherwise I want to keep everything else original.

toybaron
Approved Member

Post by toybaron »

http://riggenho.com/hottrickfox.htm

This made me remeber this old build (pics on the link)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I never know if I'm supposed to laugh, cry or love Hot Trick stuff but I really like this one .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Posting up two pictures of my runner. First picture of a setup from a race on carpet where only original wheels were allowed. Used a fresh set of Schumacher full spike yellow and removed the spikes for carpet racing. Would really recommend the Schumacher tires for the original Fox wheels - for the US still available from amain hobbies – perfect fit for the Fox wheels.
Second picture from outdoor race on astro turf where 2.2 wheels were allowed. You can also get golden 2.2 Fox wheels from jcracing.
Attachments
Hot Trick Red Fox 1.JPG
20140802_154837.jpg

Radioflash8

Post by Radioflash8 »

LurkingCAT wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:14 am Posting up two pictures of my runner. First picture of a setup from a race on carpet where only original wheels were allowed. Used a fresh set of Schumacher full spike yellow and removed the spikes for carpet racing. Would really recommend the Schumacher tires for the original Fox wheels - for the US still available from amain hobbies – perfect fit for the Fox wheels.
Second picture from outdoor race on astro turf where 2.2 wheels were allowed. You can also get golden 2.2 Fox wheels from jcracing.
Thanks for the tip, I do want to use mine as a runner and seeing your nicer example makes me feel better about driving mine occasionally.