Can Someone Help Me With This Wide / Narrow Band Legal Stuff

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Can Someone Help Me With This Wide / Narrow Band Legal Stuff

Post by morrisey0 »

So, it dawned on my that I needed a 3+ channel Tx for my Hilux, and this is being built semi-period correctly, so an AM stick radio I went looking for. I found myself a close to new Futaba Conquest FP-T4NL with (Futaba G, FP-R4F) Rx on Channel 80 75.790mhz.

Of course I am in idiot with most of this RC stuff, so all I looked at was AM and 75mhz, and thought I was golden. Now, I am realizing that the FP-T4NL was a wide band AM radio, and assuming it was not made compliant back in the day, it is illegal to use??? Now, this isn't going to get used much at all, as the truck will mostly be a shelf'r, but I like my vehicles to be able to run. So, a pack run in the driveway once and awhile will be its normal service ............... but I don't want planes falling out of the sky!

I don't have it in my hands at this point, so I can't check for silver or gold stickers or whatever. I also wasn't actually planning on using the Rx that is coming with it because the FP-R104H that I already have looks better in the rig as it matches the servos nicely.

So, how screwed am I here? Am I good to just get something going and not really worry about interference when used rarely in 2023?
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

juicedcoupe

Re: Can Someone Help Me With This Wide / Narrow Band Legal Stuff

Post by juicedcoupe »

I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:57 pm I wouldn't give it a second thought.
And now I am done thinking about it. Thanks!
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

morrisey0 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:15 pm
juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:57 pm I wouldn't give it a second thought.
And now I am done thinking about it. Thanks!
That's fantastic... I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not... :lol:

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

From my recollection narrow band was just to tighten up the channels for less chance of interference between channels. From memory that was when receivers were listed as brand specific, ie Futaba, Airtronics etc.... I'm not sure if the crystals were any different but the receivers had electronic filters in them.

Regardless the FCC isn't going to come knocking on your door.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I remember when it was going down, the wide band stuff used different crystals (futaba for example the rx crystal was yellow on the narrow band) and I remember 91 being the cutoff, old stuff wasn't "legal" anymore even though people kept using it. I'm sure it was banned at any big race but people messing around in the street or baseball field didn't care. As mentioned, they won't be coming after you.

Here is a copy and paste from a other copy and paste found on the interwebs ...
wrote: The following extract is from the Futaba web site to clarify the issue:

How do I know if my transmitter is legal?

The easiest way to answer this is through a series of questions. If you answer YES to any of questions 1 through 6, you do not need to continue. Your radio is legal to use in the U.S. You may use a printout of this FAQ to show your club officials to avoid any confusion or concerns.

1. Is your TX on 27MHz? If so, it is legal, no matter what model or brand. ALL TXs on 27MHz are exempt from this rule. Note: Please check the actual frequency on YOUR transmitter. (For example: 72.590 is on the 72MHz band.) Many models of transmitter are produced on multiple bands, so just looking in your instructions to see what band it was produced on will probably not answer this question.

2. Is your TX either FM (PPM) or PCM or both? If so, it is legal, no matter what Futaba model it is. ALL Futaba FM and PCM transmitters met the standard.

3. If your TX is AM, does it have a label listing it as "Narrow Band", "1991" or similar? If so, it is legal because it either was legal at time of production or was upgraded to make it legal.

4. If your TX is AM, and it was manufactured on an odd numbered channel? Then it is definitely narrow band and legal. (Simply changing a crystal does not make the radio safe, narrow band, or legal.)

5. If your TX is AM, and it was manufactured on a channel below 38? Then it is definitely narrow band and legal.

6. If your radio is AM and is in the list below, it was narrow band and legal at time of production and is legal to use:
* 2NBL
* 2NCS
* 2NBR
* 2V
* 2VR
* 2CR
* 2DR
* 2PB
* 2PBKA
* 2PC
* 2PCKA
* 2PD-AM
* 4NBL

7. Is your TX on any of these frequencies: 72.080, 72.160, 72.320, 72.400, 72.960 or 75.640? If so, it is a very old 80 KHz unit and is not legal and cannot be made legal.

8. If your radio is AM and is not on the list in step 4 AND does not already have a gold sticker on it (see photo), we cannot narrow band it for you. Unfortunately, under FCC regulation, we are no longer able to narrow band these old transmitters or otherwise provide any parts, information or service for these radios as of 3/1/98.

For example, is your radio a 4NL, 6FN, 4L, 6FN, FG series AM, 2PKA, or a 5LK? These radios are not legal for use in the U.S. at this time and CANNOT be made narrow band.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

This topic made me remember how consumers are also supposed to register their drones with the FAA. :lol:

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

So little bit related to the topic, what is the deal with surface use only and non surface use radios? I understand that a surface use radio probably doesn't have the communication range needed for a flying RC, but if I wanted 6 channels of control capabilities for a ground vehicle, why wouldn't I use an affordable 6 channel flight radio?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Frankentruck wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:25 am So little bit related to the topic, what is the deal with surface use only and non surface use radios?
Money. Surface use airwave licensing is priced differently than aerial use. It's why you're told to "turn off your device" on a plane. Nothing to do with your iPhone crashing a 747, everything to do with your carrier not having the licensing necessary for you to legally operate the phone at altitude. Also why the phones on planes are notoriously expensive.