Tamiya Polycarbonate Metallic Paint - Backing colors

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Elkcycles
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya Polycarbonate Metallic Paint - Backing colors

Post by Elkcycles »

If this one doesn't work out, there are two Kyosho Nostalgic bodies listed on eBay right now. Both are the full kits with chrome bumpers and side pipes.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Elkcycles wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:45 am If this one doesn't work out, there are two Kyosho Nostalgic bodies listed on eBay right now. Both are the full kits with chrome bumpers and side pipes.

Love the Kyosho Nostalgic Series, but seriously no fan of the color red on a Corvette, or any car for that matter (no offense intended), the only exception for me and the color red would be that Kyosho Nostalgic Series Ferrari 250 GTO they have on eBay right now, so sick.

I recently got back in to RC because of the Tamiya M-06 VW Bus kit, but no way was I painting it red.

Have my test lexan setup for the (4) backing colors, currently trying to shake (4) paint cans simultaneously.

The Led Zeppelin song on their fourth album, entitled Four Sticks - they never played live, because John Bonham the drummer, is actually playing this song with (2) drum sticks in each hand, or Four Sticks in total. Shaking (4) paint cans to this song now in tribute. Listen in headphones to hear the four sticks clacking together as Bonham hammers away.

Be back soon with results.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

I was too impatient and pulled the tape before it dried, no black as a result, and two silver tests.

Chrome paint pen vs Tamiya X-11 for lexan aluminum chrome testing, next to Blue test.

Looks like Bright Silver is the way to go, in order to make it sparkle all the way to the bottom, and keep the Metallic Blue base coat as light as possible. The white backing was a bit flat, seemed to dull the base coat.

It would be really interesting to use Silver and Gun Metal for making a deeper metallic layer, or making patterns in the layer below the base coat.

Going to shoot the '67 Vette body in all Bright Silver backing, in a few moments here.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

GreenBar0n wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:38 pm I was too impatient and pulled the tape before it dried, no black as a result, and two silver tests.

Chrome paint pen vs Tamiya X-11 for lexan aluminum chrome testing, next to Blue test.

Looks like Bright Silver is the way to go, in order to make it sparkle all the way to the bottom, and keep the Metallic Blue base coat as light as possible. The white backing was a bit flat, seemed to dull the base coat.

It would be really interesting to use Silver and Gun Metal for making a deeper metallic layer, or making patterns in the layer below the base coat.

Going to shoot the '67 Vette body in all Bright Silver backing, in a few moments here.

Maybe try some white over the top of the blue and silver on your test piece? Might give the best of both worlds...
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

When doing backing color tests, I don't bother with tape. I just use paper shields.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

I haven't painted anything in 20+ years, and I was never good at painting these, ever. I wanted to drive them, and the body was usually just there to protect my chassis when jumping ravines, or playing tag with them. We had no tracks, no where to race these, and were basher's before the term existed, from day one. In my later life I'm attempting to correct these things, and learn the history too.

The light plays tricks on the color, here's the chip in flash light from an old phone.

Fluorescent halo desk light. The color is lighter.

Tamiya Bright Silver backed Metallic Blue.

Grill dark in bright flash light.

No flash flouro.

NF outer protection removed.

Outer mask still on.

Unmasked.

Flash lighting darkens the color significantly. Going to tint the windows lightly, next.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Flash color change.

Tinted windows.

Can see a Q-tip in the rear bumper reflection.

Flash makes it appear darker.

Low natural light, no fluorescent halo.

Flash.

It's not exactly what I was going for, but I like it.

Will add the decals next. The HPI decals and windows masks are pre-cut, thankfully; the Tamiya VW Bus model weren't, had to cut out every one of the window masks, and decals by hand.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

The blade on the cutter for these HPI decals must've been really dull. I would start pulling the decal off the sheet, and it would bind and tear. Had to use the Tamiya Decal Scissors to cut a lot of these, that's what took so long, and I'm still not done.

The hood decals I'm still deciding if I want to go with the black decal, wanted white, but I'd have to get a custom order decal, and the paint color is already not '67 Chevy Marina Blue.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

It may not have come out quite the colour you wanted but its very pretty . Good choice on the bright silver backing .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Car is looking good. Might not be the Nassau blue you intended, but it's just about bang on for Admiral blue. Very pretty as is. 👍

Depending on how far you want to go there are a few options...

If you just want the stinger in white, Hobby Lobby sells single 8.5x11 vinyl sheets for $1.50/sheet. They're thin like a decal and you could use one of the original stingers as a guide to cut new ones...

white stinger.jpg

Maybe even in yellow, for a Sunoco look...

Sunoco Vette.jpg

Or go a step further. Duplicolor and Plasti-dip both make peelable paints in white, silver and every other color. Could mask off and spray the outside of the hoods, etc. add decals and get something like...

003-Custom-1965-corvette-grand-sport.jpg

Or more gnarly colored...

the-aviator-2.jpg

And if you tire of it, you can just peel the paint off like a decal and start over.

Many possibilities...

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Dadio wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:23 am It may not have come out quite the colour you wanted but its very pretty . Good choice on the bright silver backing .
Appreciate that, thanks @Daddio!

Dangeruss wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:08 am Car is looking good. Might not be the Nassau blue you intended, but it's just about bang on for Admiral blue. Very pretty as is. 👍

Depending on how far you want to go there are a few options...

If you just want the stinger in white, Hobby Lobby sells single 8.5x11 vinyl sheets for $1.50/sheet. They're thin like a decal and you could use one of the original stingers as a guide to cut new ones...

white stinger.jpg

Maybe even in yellow, for a Sunoco look...

Sunoco Vette.jpg

Or go a step further. Duplicolor and Plasti-dip both make peelable paints in white, silver and every other color. Could mask off and spray the outside of the hoods, etc. add decals and get something like...

003-Custom-1965-corvette-grand-sport.jpg

Or more gnarly colored...

the-aviator-2.jpg

And if you tire of it, you can just peel the paint off like a decal and start over.

Many possibilities...

Much thanks, @Dangeruss! It does look like Admiral Blue! Those are some sweet racing decal choices you listed. I was hoping to go scale look with magnetic body mounts, and stay era correct with matching the '67 I was trying to tribute, but this may already be beyond the scope.

'67 C2 Corvette was the one-year only color of 976 Marina Blue Metallic, really wanted that one, but should've set my expectations accordingly, and to more than just the PS-16 Tamiya sample.
https://tech.corvettecentral.com/2022/03/1963-1967-c2-corvette-factory-paint-colors/

This '67 Marina Blue looks decent with the black decal.

Going to go with the black decal and leave the paint the way it is, if it's not serendipitous, perhaps it will still grow on me.

I'll try to get some better outdoor pictures when I'm done with the decals, and the fog burns off here, the paint job lightens up in the sun a bit.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Calling this one done.

The windshield wipers stuck to the decal sheet and tore, they weren't cut all the way, like most of the decals in this kit; very disappointed in the decal sheet for this model. I also think the HPI is the most detailed '67 vette body you can find, and I really like it.

Will most likely go with the Kyosho FZ02 chassis kit to put this body on.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

The FZ02 chassis kit comes with no electronics and a shorter wheelbase of 10.2 in. for $140, but it comes with upgraded parts, like CVA and aluminum drive line, for brushless use, or going faster:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-ep-fazer-mk2-1-10-electric-touring-car-rolling-chassis-kit-kyo34461/p1220506

To just cruise around at scale speed, with a brushed motor and ESC, which gives about 25mph out of the box, and has the FZ02L longer wheelbase at 10.8 in.: it would be cheaper at $246 to buy the RTR Kyosho Fleetside Truck, or Bel Air, that comes with everything, and Chevy wheels that are basically perfect for a tribute '67 vette:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-ep-fazer-mk2-fz02l-1966-chevy-fleetside-readyset-green-kyo34435t1/p1513775

Just those wheels separately would be about $60:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-fazer-premounted-vintage-sedan-tires-chrome-2-medium-kyofath707smm/p1529044?v=1502514

Have a nice body that has no chassis (Fleetside or Bel air), or build the faster more expensive chassis. Kind of just want rear 2wd and not AWD.

Stymied.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Carrying on the chassis conversation in the Modern 21st Century thread.
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=49000

I just sent another $30 offer to the eBay seller whom sold me the HPI '67 vette body above, he took the same offer this time, and his last HPI '67 vette body is on the way here now.

This time, I'm going to try the Tamiya Light Metallic Blue:
https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Polycarbonate-PS-3-Light-Spray/dp/B0000WS04Q

They also have Sky Blue, but that looks too light, and is supposed to have an anodized look to it, I need metallic.
https://www.amazon.com/Polycarbonate-Anondized-Alumimum-TAM86049-Lacquer/dp/B001Q11J9S

Will test Gun Metal and Bright Silver behind the Light Blue, to try to get '67 Marina Blue Metallic. Will practice on 2-liter bottles to get the right shade - hopefully.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Just noticed the Tamiya PS-3 light blue is matte finish, not metallic. May not be able to get Marina Blue with Tamiya spray.

I took a look at Andy's shop on eBay today and saw this:

That rear color is as close as I've seen on lexan, to Marina Blue, Andy's is a bit more teal than Marina Blue. Looks like I'd need to air brush, and mix up the color custom, like Andy did, to get what I'm after.