Who remembers the Chrysler Turbine car?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

coxbros1

Re: Who remembers the Chrysler Turbine car?

Post by coxbros1 »

XLR8 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:42 pm
Coelacanth wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:36 am
Dangeruss wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:53 pm
juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:44 am
coxbros1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:11 pm Best car ever made..period...not an opinion..FACT!
Said no one ever, about a Chrysler product (at least, not anyone who has ever had one).

The closest thing they have is Jeep, and the best Jeeps were when AMC owned them. AMC design carried on into the I6 4.0, which wasn't horrible.

MOPAR did make some great engines, more particularly the A and B/RB V8's.

But the cars themselves are rolling piles of garbage. Even if you discount that they are rust-buckets and that the electrical system on many (into the 90's) is a fire hazzard, they are just poorly fitted. Nothing fits tight and they rattle like a can of bolts.

Awe, come on... tell us how you REALLY feel! :P :lol:
I was thinking of saying the same thing. :lol: I think I'll keep my '70 Charger nonetheless...and pretty pleased with my daily driver 2005 Magnum RT AWD I bought several years ago with about 100K km on the odometer, now it's close to 300k. ;)
Yeah, especially back in the mid to late '60's and into the 1970's (the muscle car era) Chrysler was as serious about performance as Ford and Chevy - maybe more serious. Anyway, their approach was to fit the largest motor into the lightest car possible. Sometimes, light weight can be perceived as flimsy and lower quality but the approach certainly worked. Friends bitd drove Chevelles Camaros LeMans, GTO's, etc. Great cars and good quality but they were extremely heavy compared to Chrysler cars. For the record, my first car was a '66 Chevy II. Cheap, rusty and junky (I had no money) but it was light.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the most money ever paid for a muscle car at auction was for a Hemi Charger -- something like $1.3 million. This was a while back.

My sister has driven a 2011 Ram pickup for 13 years now (they are farmers in Illinois). No issues whatsoever apart from normal maintenance items-- it's been a good truck. I've driven it and it drives very nice as well.
Like they say, your experiences may vary.

The Turbine car was manufactured by Ghia in Italy. Hand built, one at a time. Very costly to make but very high quality. Anyway, the cars arrived from Italy as finished rollers (right down to the hub caps) and Chrysler installed the engine and transmission. I always thought they were beautiful cars.

I'm sure billions of Arabs would agree, it can't be bad if it has a turbine.
I stand by my statement...it's the best car ever by a mile!...second best is that 62' Olds Jet Fire...as stated, these are facts, not opinions
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Shelby Cobra 427 S/C. Street legal, production race car.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Pontiac Aztec. Awesomeness in disguise?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:25 pm Pontiac Aztec. Awesomeness in disguise?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Being different is not a standard for being the best. Being different just makes something a novelty.

To be the best, it has to do something (or a lot of things) better than the competition.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:52 pm Shelby Cobra 427 S/C. Street legal, production race car.
Not even in the conversation...not about power..it's about cool
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

This was an awesome turbine car!
1000009502.jpg
1000009502.jpg (35.07 KiB) Viewed 130 times
1000009502.jpg
1000009502.jpg (35.07 KiB) Viewed 130 times
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:52 pm Shelby Cobra 427 S/C. Street legal, production race car.
We have a winner! No more callers, please.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (21.12 KiB) Viewed 128 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (21.12 KiB) Viewed 128 times

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

Was that 427 SOHC?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

mAdMan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:53 am Was that 427 SOHC?
SOHC's were sold through dealerships but not used on the production line. That was the loophole that Chrysler used to get them banned from NASCAR.

The S/C used a detuned version of the 427 side oiler, which was used in NASCAR and in the GT40 (Ford vs Ferrari).

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:25 pm Pontiac Aztec. Awesomeness in disguise?
I had a 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP. It was built on the same platform as the gawdawful-ugly Aztec. Hard to believe the 2 cars shared the same chassis. The Torrent GXP was an excellent SUV, very fast with 263 hp from a 3.6L engine, sport-tuned suspension and exhaust, AWD...the thing was an absolute bitch to work on, though and had very little aftermarket support for performance upgrades; you couldn't get a chip for it, you couldn't even upgrade the exhaust, there was absolutely no room for anything custom. I fabricated my own custom CAI and oil catch can that looked and worked awesome, but had to remove it because I couldn't get a custom tune to recognize the increased airflow and got check engine lights on the dash all the time.

Speaking of all these 'rust bucket' Chryslers...I wonder how many cars from ANY manufacturer from that many decades ago are still rust-free? How many non-Chryslers have survived 40+ years? ;) I'd Hazzard a guess about the same percentage as for Chrysler products. In many cases, far less, too.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Well, I think this Cobra is also pretty cool. (random web photo)

... but it isn't turbine powered.

FWIW, my 5-speed "GT" also has an SOHC and it's fuel injected. :wink:
Mustang 5.jpg
With only 281 c.i.d. (4.6 l) it isn't fast but I think it sounds good.

Hmmm, I wonder if a turbine engine from a helicopter would fit in that engine bay.
:lol:
Doug

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

...a helicopter turbine engine fit in a motorcycle chassis, so probably yes?
1000009508.jpg
1000009508.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 89 times
1000009508.jpg
1000009508.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 89 times

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Coelacanth wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:57 am
I had a 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP. It was built on the same platform as the gawdawful-ugly Aztec. Hard to believe the 2 cars shared the same chassis. The Torrent GXP was an excellent SUV, very fast with 263 hp from a 3.6L engine, sport-tuned suspension and exhaust, AWD...the thing was an absolute bitch to work on, though and had very little aftermarket support for performance upgrades; you couldn't get a chip for it, you couldn't even upgrade the exhaust, there was absolutely no room for anything custom. I fabricated my own custom CAI and oil catch can that looked and worked awesome, but had to remove it because I couldn't get a custom tune to recognize the increased airflow and got check engine lights on the dash all the time.

Speaking of all these 'rust bucket' Chryslers...I wonder how many cars from ANY manufacturer from that many decades ago are still rust-free? How many non-Chryslers have survived 40+ years? ;) I'd Hazzard a guess about the same percentage as for Chrysler products. In many cases, far less, too.
Yeah, the styling of the Aztec was... well... interesting.
It reminded me of the monorail at Disneyland.

I live in the deep south where cars don't rust through. It's amazing to see vehicles from the 1950's for example, still running around with 70 odd years of patina but no serious rust.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Frankentruck wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:24 am ...a helicopter turbine engine fit in a motorcycle chassis, so probably yes?
1000009508.jpg
I'm loosing my mind. I forgot about that one too.
Doug