new guy

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JUSS10
Approved Member

new guy

Post by JUSS10 »

hello all. well the other day my little cousin got on the topic of real rc cars and wondered what ever happened to mine. well he came over to the house and we dug them out of the boxes in the basement. i have a tamiya super hornet, grasshopper, traxxas stampede and of course an original rc10. I told him he could have the stampede if i can find all the parts to put it back together. i then proceeded to pull out the rc10 and started to wonder why i ever put it away. I guess my little cousin got me interested again. below are a few pictures of it that i took today. I picked the car up for $40 off a friend who's father used to use it for carpet racing. i have his original set of foams for all 4 corners. he also had added a front sway par and andy's bumper. other than that its bone stock. i gutted my stampede to get this car running. i threw in a speed gems 16t, novak reactor ESC, and my new futuba radio. i started to do some mods to it before i packed it up. not a ton. as you can see i added b3 wheels (i think) and proline dirt hawg tires. i also bought a new body which still has yet to be painted. i had intended on swapping out the front wheels with 2.2 and matching tires, never got that far before she was boxed. So i want to get her up and running again and updated a little. first off, can anyone tell me the model just by looking at the pictures? and then where is the best place to start for updating this beast? i was thinking get the 2.2's up front, rpm A arms, adjustable turnbuckles, maybe new shocks. I have access to a cnc machine and a large assortments of materials. i was thinking maybe build a new chassis. not sure if i will do that yet. I guess i just want to get it running so i can just have some fun with it. great site here. already learned a lot of info. thanks!

Justin

JUSS10
Approved Member

Re: new guy

Post by JUSS10 »

my futuba radio quit working for some reason so i had to swap in my traxxas one, thats why there is a traxxas receiver in the second pic. i would like to get my futuba working again, just dont know where to start trouble shooting.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

welcome to the board. :)

what you have there is a standard mid to late 80's gold tub. short front arms, 2 hole front shock tower, etc.

as far as updating, it's really gonna depend on what you want to do with it. if it were me, i'd find a correct pair of rear rims, and run it ol' skool. :wink:

JUSS10
Approved Member

Post by JUSS10 »

well i have one of the original rear tires and wheel, looks like never used. i couldnt find the other when i dug it out of my friends box of random RC cars when i bought it.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

don't let what i say keep from building the car the way you'd want to. but for me, when i see an original car that's in nice shape, as yours appears to be, i like to keep those all original. :)

spend some time looking through the readers rc10 section. there's a bunch of really cool builds that will give you lots of ideas.

JUSS10
Approved Member

Post by JUSS10 »

well i want to keep it stock i just like the look of bigger wheels and tires. so what fronts with work with the spindles? and can i get them in black like the rears or do they have to be dyed?

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

If that car was only run on carpet in its previous life, that car may be more valuable than you think. It depends on what your goal is, but I personally wouldn't use that car for bashing around the yard if the underside is clean and free of scratches. Clean originals like that pull in around $200 on ebay if the underside is clean along with the rest of the car. If you're planning on running it you can still get a clean car with some scratches from use for half that or less and keep that one as a piece of history. :) That's just my opinion though and there are others here that will tell you to run the snot out of it because that's what it was made for. :twisted:
Keith C

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I agree with 911 on this one, that car is clean. I've got a nice runner I'll trade ya. :mrgreen:

JUSS10
Approved Member

Post by JUSS10 »

the under side isnt that clean. i will admit the rest looks great. i am currently dismantling it and making measurements of the chassis. i intend on shelving the chassis and machining a new double deck chassis and swapping out the old A arms for a set of RPM ones. All the while i will keep an eye out on craigs list for someone selling an rc10 that is either a lot worse or nicer. i found a rc10t on there RTR for $100 but they guy wont get back to me. wish i knew how much things are going for now a days... wouldnt have driven it so hard when i first got it. i did however cover the bottom of the entire chassis with shelf paper which worked pretty well at keeping the scratching down as swell as keeping dirt and oil off.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Tower has the RPM arms you look for. You will need to get longer turnbuckles. b2/b3/b4 front wheels all work for the front. You may get lucky and find a set of rear 2.15" wheels on ebay or an old hobby store. You can glue a 2.2" tire to a 2.15" wheel, but they look a little funny. You an use the B2/B3 2.2" wheels (if you can find them), but you must swap to a 3/16" axle to work. Go here to find out even more options: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5483

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

That car looks REALLY nice! I wouldn't run it at all! Go on ebay and get a beat up one for dirt cheap if you want to run an RC10. Cars in the condition your's appears to be in are very hard to find these days!!! Put it back to "stock" so others can see it in its original glory. There are plenty other RC10s out there worthy of running/beating on! This one is not!

JUSS10
Approved Member

Post by JUSS10 »

I am currently running B3 wheels in the rear. If I remember right I just drilled them out and the fit perfectly. I was looking at RPMs website and it made it sound like the A arms are a direct swap. I will post pics of the bottom of the tub and see what you all have to say.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

JUSS10 wrote:I was looking at RPMs website and it made it sound like the A arms are a direct swap.
well..... yes and no. your car has the short front arms. the rpm arms are wider, like the arms on the 89-94 rc10's. yes they will fit, but you'll need longer tie rods for the camber and steering. also, the rc10's with the short arms used offset steering knuckles. you might run into issues with the wheels hitting the arms while turning/suspension compression. so, you might need to get inline knuckles and axles to resolve those issues if it happens. but if your gonna be running 2.2's up front, it probably won't be an issue. just giving you a heads up on it, though.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

you'll have to switch out the wide metal lower shock pivot for the narrower plastic type for those rpm arms, too.

JUSS10
Approved Member

Post by JUSS10 »

here is the tub

and here is an rc10t that i am looking at. the guy said just make an offer so i made a low one and we'll see what he says.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tag/829343152.html