Frog build with the kids

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

civilguy
Approved Member

Frog build with the kids

Post by civilguy »

I won a Frog kit at the 1st VONats. I decided to get the paint, radio, etc and give it to my kids for Christmas. I don't have the patience to photgraph each step, but the kids have been swapping off every 2-3 steps along the way. All I've been doing is making sure stuff is tight enough-- they've been doing the rest. The paint should be interesting when we get there, but it is their buggy so they will do it. That way when we sell it I can truly put "looks like a 6 or 8 yr old painted the body". :lol:

The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

fordtransman
Approved Member

Re: Frog build with the kids

Post by fordtransman »

Thanks for the post...

I was considering getting a Frog kit for my son (9) and daughter (7) To build up with "tech support" from Dad, but was not sure about their abilities yet... My wife is ok as she likes "Frogs"

The Frog is apparently the car that Punky Brewster beat all the boys with back in the 80's on TV.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

So far it has been pretty smooth sailing. Both my kids are involved in projects that we do and know how to properly use tools (keeping the screwdriver lined up with the screw and not at an angle for example). Between the two of them they can set up our pop-up camper! They just need some help with the leveling jacks if the site is way out of whack. 8)

As far as the Frog build, I think there were two different steps so far that I had to snug the screws for them. Also, get a decent nutdriver because even though we all love those little Tamiya 4-ways that come with the kits, all that torque hurts little fingers while tightening locknuts.

The paint will be interesting. I'm going to have to bite my tongue and let them have at it though! This one is all theirs, and I'm hoping they have a sense of pride in their accomplishment. It's been a fun thing to do with them-- this may become a winter tradition!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Hey Civil, beautiful kids you must very proud of them. Great build we need to do more of this to get a younger generation interested in getting their hands dirty. Not everything is RTR in this world.

This is all very interesting!

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

I've built a few cars with my daughter (now 5.5yrs) starting when she was 3 or so. Aside from a little episode where my wife called poison control it has been a lot of fun.
I let my daughter paint several bodies. you can imagine what a body painted by a 3 year old looks like. I use the parma fascolor water based paint and let her do what she wants with it. I actually turned the paint into a color lesson. we started with red, blue, yellow, and mixed up some green, purple, and orange.
we started before she was reading, searching out parts from the trees was great for letters and numbers practice.
I'll post some pics of her cars tonight.
I've not done much yet with my son(2.5 now), he is mostly into dumping out the bins of tires, bodies or spare parts and making a mess.
Here is a thread from 2 years ago with pictures of our first truck:
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33666

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

That looked pretty cool my 3yr always wants to help me I been putting it off till hes a little older. hes like a Bull in a China shop :lol:
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Al- thanks, the beautiful thing is my wife's doing. :roll: And yes, very proud.

Anthony- that's a great body and I remember seeing that TC post when I first got back into RC.

I am just grateful that my kids take an interest in all things-- not just TV and video games. :lol:
Jeff

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

That's really cool. I have hope for my little one as he knows where all my tools go back to in the toolbox, how to unplug and plug in the battery in 'his' Mini-T, and adjust the trims so that the truck goes straight. Not bad for 4yrs old.....

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

here's a picture of the boys first RC. I think he had more fun building it than acctually driving it. Which I understand, I'm much the same way. Kinda funny when he does drive it though he brings it in and treats it like a total shelfer, blows it out with air, cleans the tires and touches them with armoral and back on his bookcase.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

PBR- That's a great shot and it's nice to hear all the other stories about the brainwashing.... errr, indoctrination... of a new generation. :lol:
We should be getting back to the build later this week. Ski club and all the afterschool activities have started again, so the Frog has to wait. :wink:
Jeff

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Ok- minor update. After ski club delays, meetings, afterschool programs and general life conflicts, we managed to squeeze out 5 steps tonight. My daughter assembled the trailing arms and my son (with a little pet help) finished the rear dampers. I had to jump in on the e-clips. ;)
My son is excited for the motor and pinion installation :? and my daughter wants to have at the 'complicated wire stuff'. :D

Assembled the dampers (out of order-- it took me 2 minutes of explaining that it was ok to do that):

Finished her 2 steps while toweled:

Returned to mount the dampers and illustrate how the suspension works:
Jeff

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

your a lucky man I cant wait untill my 3yr old and I can build some cars, he tries to help now but hes a little small yet
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

Rat is gonna eat the frog....

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Thanks for the comments guys. The rat eats pretty much anything we let it. :lol:

My son bugged me to get the motor installed, so he did those two steps tonight. The kids have an early release tomorrow and it's going to be too cold to be outside, so I have a feeling the radio and tires may get done. It may be hoppin' around the basement by late afternoon! :D

Thumbs up!
Jeff

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

At least your kids have a nice workbench....I remember building mine on the floor of a hotel we lived at for a summer. :lol: