TPS slipper clutch?????

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DHC6
Approved Member

TPS slipper clutch?????

Post by DHC6 »

I just recently got a TPS slipper clutch for my JRX2, and have no idea how it installs. Does any one have one, or remember how to install it. The instructions are as clear as mud, some pictures would help. Can I use the stock spur? It doesn't say that I need a different spur, but I don't see how the stock one (or any one for that matter) can fit. Any idea's???
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

RER40
Approved Member

Re: TPS slipper clutch?????

Post by RER40 »

DHC6 wrote:I just recently got a TPS slipper clutch for my JRX2, and have no idea how it installs. Does any one have one, or remember how to install it. The instructions are as clear as mud, some pictures would help. Can I use the stock spur? It doesn't say that I need a different spur, but I don't see how the stock one (or any one for that matter) can fit. Any idea's???
The "original" Team PistStop slipper clutch used ordinary spur gears, as would have come on any other car during the era. You can not use the stock losi spurs. Most guys used 48pitch Kimbrough gears, or something similar, that had a whole bunch of holes for diffballs - but instead the TPS setup used pegs (red in color) instead of balls.
Installation of the TPS unit included: removal of the stock idler gear off the stock top shaft of the transmission (and re-installation onto the new topshaft included with the kit), from there replacing the new topshaft into the tranny, and from there pretty much standard assembly of the two halfs of the slipper and spur gear and the washers, cone washer, and adjustment nut that should be pretty clear in the instruction sheet you recieved.

Hope that helps.

BTW - where did you come across the TPS??
I'd sure like to get my hands on one. 8)

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

This is all very interesting!

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

That's the exact one I got. I figured it needed a different spur, but could not find out which one was needed. Cool, thanks guys.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

DHC6 wrote:That's the exact one I got. I figured it needed a different spur, but could not find out which one was needed. Cool, thanks guys.
I ran a proto of one of those, back in the day, and remember the TPS-S quite fondly.
Let me know if you need any other help. :D

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

can you post some pics of the slipper and the tps top shaft? I've never had one, and the ebay pic leaves a lot to be desired. I just bought a lot of trans parts and I think I may have gotten a couple of the top shafts.

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

aconsola wrote:can you post some pics of the slipper and the tps top shaft? I've never had one, and the ebay pic leaves a lot to be desired. I just bought a lot of trans parts and I think I may have gotten a couple of the top shafts.
You'll know you have the tps topshaft because (other than it looking similar, and having the similarly spaced slots for the E-clips) it's half again longer, and has a threaded end.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

RER40 wrote:
aconsola wrote:can you post some pics of the slipper and the tps top shaft? I've never had one, and the ebay pic leaves a lot to be desired. I just bought a lot of trans parts and I think I may have gotten a couple of the top shafts.
You'll know you have the tps topshaft because (other than it looking similar, and having the similarly spaced slots for the E-clips) it's half again longer, and has a threaded end.
Which is what the Losi slipper or Hydra-drive top shaft looks like.

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

You might be able to use a losi spur on that slipper clutch. For the JR series, losi actually had 3 styles of spur gears.

I began using an A&L slipper but I wanted to use the stock losi spurs (profiled). At the time, losi only had the original design and it didn't work with the A&L. I asked a local guy to modify some stock losi spurs so I could use them with the slipper. They were great!!! A couple years later, losi came out with their own version which I wound up using since they were easily available.
Losi spurs.jpg
First - Original style
Second - Original style modified for the slipper
Third - Losi spur that you might be able to use for the TPS
Fourth - Used on the pro SE

So if you can find the 3rd spur, it may work for you. Losi made all sizes with this design:

82 - Yellow
84 - Purple
86 - Red (size for the buggies)
88 - Green
90 - Orange (size used for the truck)
92 - Blue

Good luck...

Regards,
highwayracer

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

Is there a way to fit the Hydra drive or a new type Losi slipper on the JRX2 transmission? I found a few original Losi spurs with holes for the slipper balls on eBay. The TPS system I have actually has the balls rather then the small red blocks. So I will see what happens with the spur I found on eBay, but if I could install the Hydra drive or another stock Losi slipper system that would be cool as well. It would give me alternatives to keeping my JRX2 rolling. I certainly don't drive it as hard as I use to, but it's nice to have a slipper to protect the transmission gears (as they are getting harder to find now). I took it out tonight for the first time in a really long time, I forgot how good it was. It really was a revelation in RC performance when it came out 20 years ago... sh*t I getting old.... LOL

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

I "think" traxxas still sells the red pegs, by far superior to using balls.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

I've got multiples of the shafts and HD kits for the original gearbox, don't have to use the TPS shaft when you have the original. I've put it on my JRX Pro build I'm completing shortly.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yep, this looks alot like the traxxas slipper. parts are still available at tower, pegs, etc. I just bought a whole slipper assembly for a blue eagle.