Dirt track prep..rocks and ramps

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

j.d.roost
Approved Member

Dirt track prep..rocks and ramps

Post by j.d.roost »

I wanted to know if anyone had experience removing rocks from a dirt off-road track.
Our local track has been uncovered all winter causing a lot of the underlying rocks
to make their way to the surface. Last year we had access to a bobcat/rock hound. This year we don’t.
We do have a ride on powered roller and a lawn tractor to use.
It’s going to take forever to hand rake the track.. Is there a better way to do it? Can we make some sort of attachment that can be hooked to our lawn tractor/roller? I remember they had some sort of skid they would drag at our old track years ago but I think that was to smooth it not de-rock it.
Thanks for any help.

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Re: Dirt track prep.

Post by RC10Eh »

a section of chain link fence ? or even old bedspring with the fabric removed ( I have done this also to remove weeds on a local fresh water beach . Keep us posted . I am currently working on a track also and would like to know how you make out. :)

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

When I was helping build my local track we just walked around picking out rocks at each and every working bee.Took a long time but the track is beautifull now.A bit of chain link seems like a great idea.I would think you might have to weigh it down with something to make it work.

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Post by RC10Eh »

in fact, the weight of the chain link alone , was thinking along the lines of 6 x 6 , a peice of rebar threaded threw the leading edge and chain or rope back to the tractor. Would roll it out later , but i prefer a fairly hard packed track, just a thought.

robsdak

Post by robsdak »

the fence idea works. we have used them here to clean up a driveway (1320') w/rocks and ridges. i used a 6' length of railroad track and 6' x 8' fence, with a shallow box on the end of the fence. take a piece of 1/4" plywood and cut it 6' x 3', 2-8' x 2" x 4". cut 2 pieces 34" long and 1 piece 72" long. screws 1 1/2" and 3 1/2" long. now screw the 2 x 4 to the plywood and then together, forming a box. attach it to the rear of the fence by drilling a few holes and securing it with bailing wire. now the fun part, attach to a tractor,go cart, 4 wheeler... and drag away. the weight from the railroad iron smooths and loosens the rocks and the box on the back catches said rocks. now the trick is to find the right speed.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

when i had my track, i used a piece of chain link fence, with a heavy rod through the front edge, with chains to form a "V" from the ends of the rod. A couple of old truck tires/rims piled on for weight worked fantastic. Towed it with the riding mower.

you can get as fancy as you want.

j.d.roost
Approved Member

Post by j.d.roost »

Looks like I have some fence work to do. I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

j.d.roost wrote:Looks like I have some fence work to do. I will keep you guys posted.
:lol:

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I always told myself that if I ever build another track, I would rent a bobcat with the rockhound attachment and hit every square inch of the track bed before building.

Being in Tennessee, we have no shortage of rocks.... I just used a plastic leaf rake to get most of em. And yes, everytime it rained, the rocks grew back.... :roll:

The fence works good on flat spots in the track, but if you drag it over jumps, it tends to roll the lip off of them.

j.d.roost
Approved Member

Post by j.d.roost »

I know the jumps are being removed so I will get it fenced before the new ones are placed.
The new owner does not think we need to cover the track.... :?
I hope to show him 1st hand why we do.

j.d.roost
Approved Member

Re: Dirt track prep...wood jumps?

Post by j.d.roost »

You guys were so helpful with the de-rock question so I have another.

Looks like we are going to be a bit short on clean fill for the new layout jumps. One of our members can get plywood super cheap and asked if we could just build a few wood take off ramps. I actually thought that might be a good idea but don't know how well it would work. Has anyone ever raced/built on a offroad dirt track with plywood ramps? If so did they have a lip (scooped)? Or were they just placed at an angle? Do you think just laying a sheet on a un-groomed dirt takeoff ramp would help keep the jumps "squarer" so there is less maintenance to do?

Thanks again for any info.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Re: Dirt track prep..rocks and ramps

Post by MONSTER »

I made a Drag out of "Hurricane/Chain Link" Fence, and it always ran crooked because it wanted to follow the "Weave" of the Fence. Guess I need to drag out some other kind of Fencing. What Type of Fence did you Guys use?

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

Maybe even some square concrete rio might work best.
We had a plywood table top at our last track.You need to form it though so it resembles a skateboard ramp.They work great but I much prefere a complete dirt track.
Our club relocated and now they have allmost covered the whole track in astro turf.Its great to prevent mainteneince but for me doesnt resemble an off road track anymore.

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Post by RC10Eh »

Fencing needs to be older, well weathered type, i can see if newer fencing is used it would do that try the dump or the local scrap yard, look for loose mesh and well rusted :)

MOmo
Approved Member

Re: Dirt track prep...wood jumps?

Post by MOmo »

j.d.roost wrote:You guys were so helpful with the de-rock question so I have another.

Looks like we are going to be a bit short on clean fill for the new layout jumps. One of our members can get plywood super cheap and asked if we could just build a few wood take off ramps. I actually thought that might be a good idea but don't know how well it would work. Has anyone ever raced/built on a offroad dirt track with plywood ramps? If so did they have a lip (scooped)? Or were they just placed at an angle? Do you think just laying a sheet on a un-groomed dirt takeoff ramp would help keep the jumps "squarer" so there is less maintenance to do?

Thanks again for any info.

Check Oople.com or Redrc.net for some of the European event coverage. Those guys use sometimes use wooden ramps. Something else to think about, If you have old logs or decent tree branchs, you can slightly bury them and cover with dirt. due to volume, it shouldn't be too difficult to cover and it provides a solid foundation. Just a thought.

If you are into scalers (crawlers) there is a beautiful landscaped track that is multi-purpose.
http://ripper7racing.com/r7rforums/showthread.php?t=100

Here is a clip showing the different cars that use the track.
http://www.ripper7racing.com/vids/BDMB_TM.wmv (Rt. Click and Save as)

This has me inspired to make a landscaped track in my back yard.

MOmo