Futaba FPS148 servo

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jjc43

Futaba FPS148 servo

Post by jjc43 »

Apologies if this has already been posted before. Did a search but couldn't find anything. I've got a few S148 servos including one in my 30yr old RC10 I've been looking to upgrade. Upgrading my ESC and going to brushless has made a noticeable difference just driving around the street/yard. Got me wondering if updating the steering servo would help at all. I was surprised to see that you can still buy these servos. I can't imagine it making a huge difference but thought I would ask.
Thanks.

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: Futaba FPS148 servo

Post by RC10th »

Upgrading the servo would make a huge difference in both speed and torque.

I looked up that servo and it's quite slow at .22sec @ 6v. I think something around .10sec @ 6v and around 150oz-in torque would be a "good" servo.

Of course you can get faster and higher torque servos but that would be an excellent choice with a good balance.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

jjc43

Post by jjc43 »

RC10th wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:55 pm Upgrading the servo would make a huge difference in both speed and torque.

I looked up that servo and it's quite slow at .22sec @ 6v. I think something around .10sec @ 6v and around 150oz-in torque would be a "good" servo.

Of course you can get faster and higher torque servos but that would be an excellent choice with a good balance.
Any suggestions on what most folks use as a starting servo today? I'm not planning on racing this car or anything so ideally nothing that breaks the budget. Futaba used to be the only brand I knew that made servos but now I see Hitec, Reedy, Savox, etc.. I'm not familiar with the reputation of the brands or the features/differences of servos these days.

Thanks!

Tamlok
Approved Member

Post by Tamlok »

This is what I use, its what AE uses in their RTRs. It has decent speed, torque, and metal gears. There are faster servos and some have titanium gears but they cost $100 plus. Whatever route you go I suggest metal gears at a minimum. Search ebay for "Reedy 0712MG", there are sellers parting out kits, you can get it cheaper than going direct through AE.

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/reedy/parts/details/27110-ASC27110-reedy_0712mg_digital_hv_metal_gear_servo_7kg/

jjc43

Post by jjc43 »

Tamlok wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:12 pm This is what I use, its what AE uses in their RTRs. It has decent speed, torque, and metal gears. There are faster servos and some have titanium gears but they cost $100 plus. Whatever route you go I suggest metal gears at a minimum. Search ebay for "Reedy 0712MG", there are sellers parting out kits, you can get it cheaper than going direct through AE.

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/reedy/parts/details/27110-ASC27110-reedy_0712mg_digital_hv_metal_gear_servo_7kg/

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. I was able to find one exactly as you described - a new servo pulled from kit. Appreciate the help!