dirt oval discussion

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: dirt oval discussion

Post by Charlie don't surf »

askbob wrote:Reg, did you build that body from scratch?

Are the dirt oval cars that run late model bodies nowadays set up the same/similar on chassis setups as the EDMs?

I ran mostly dirt oval in my youth, but all of the cars were mostly stock buggy form. Just when I thought I was done building RC10s... I have a real urge to build an 80's winged wedge car.

Yep, the only thing "Factory" on that shell is the CW roof, and it's only 20% of what it was to start with-

Latemodel car setups and designs optimally way different- EDM's with good (ie Flopper) Areo packages can be setup with an almost solid rear suspension and feather light (4-8# springs) front end- giving you a car that steered through the front suspension, chassis flex on EDM's meant more entry to the apex but you walked the rear end off the corner, plus the battery offset was not exactly as much of a factor overall- although it was a key element.

Latemodels really need rear steering (LR toe in from 2-3deg and RR toe out from 1-2 deg) a very stiff (22-27# springs) heavy dampining to numb the front and a lot of rear roll to help get the car onto the RR in the corner
414.jpg
416.jpg
and keeping the weight transfer there until corner exit. Also chassis flex on a LM means more center off speed-

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Cool! I have a treasure trove of pics of latemodels my uncle built back in the 80's when he was in business(Bullit Chassis). The first pic is a wild wing set up on a wedge latemodel. The second is something I'd like to emulate with an RC body somehow being able to add the clear wings on the rear.

Sorry for the slight threadjack kaiser!
Back to dirt oval, I'm hooked. :mrgreen:

foots
Approved Member

Post by foots »

Man you guys are killing me. After running offroad after a 17 year hiatus for 6 months now ya'll are getting the oval blood stirring. I ran a JG truck chassis
(longer wheelbase) inline battery, J car direct drive, shorty left frt arm and a andys wide frt arm on the right, Mac lowering kit, .71s all the around. Back in the day I ran Off Road almost every weekend exclusively. A buddy of mine got into dirt oval and talked me into running a big event at Sugar Hill in Ga. First time on a DO. Got bumped from D main all the way till the B Main and was on my way to getting bumped to the A untill hostilities
(local not liking out of staters) took me out on the last lap. Well my buddy hadn't had enuff and talked me into going down to Silverwings in Atlanta and running that night. Throwed it down and pissed alot of locals off by setting a new track record by 2 laps. Needless to say a lot of them guys spent alot of money the next few weekends. So the RC10 was converted to a JG truck and the CW Dominator days started for me. Not as sucessful as the RC10 but had a really good time until I figured how much money that thing cost me. I gotta get them VCR tapes converted and share some of them times. But D**g ya'll are getting my blood flowing. Did I say thet yet?

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i love it! i can't get enough d/o talk!

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

reg, don't worry about a body for the rc10, i just got one of kipp's.

kipp said, "tell reggie hammer that i got some cool rc10's in and want to sell'em."

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Tell Kipp he wouldn't know what a cool RC10 was if I handed him one :P

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

he did say composite craft...... :mrgreen:

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

If a guy were to jump into dirt oval, would it be viable to run a converted rc10, or go ahead and start with a Custom Works car or similar? Both for edm and late model.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Depends on how much you want to spend- current cars are faster in capable hands, but Bomber classes with 10's are way more fun-

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

in my pursuit to spend all my b-day $$ i also picked up a slightly cut down ae graphite chassis for the ce based edm.

what would be better, short arm or long arm front end? what about on carpet?

i ask because i'm also building a bme chassis carpet/onroad oval car....slowly.
right now just gathering parts and need to choose what arms to use.
this car may never get driven, i just love lto dave's oval buggy of doom and wanted to build something similar.
i've also got this direct drive trackmast that i just picked up, was going to use it in the bme car, but may try it in rear motor layout in the ce based edm.

reg, do you think it would be worth it to run the dd track master in rear motor layout in the ce edm? or just stick to the stealth.

rcracr20
Approved Member

Post by rcracr20 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
askbob wrote:Reg, did you build that body from scratch?

Are the dirt oval cars that run late model bodies nowadays set up the same/similar on chassis setups as the EDMs?

I ran mostly dirt oval in my youth, but all of the cars were mostly stock buggy form. Just when I thought I was done building RC10s... I have a real urge to build an 80's winged wedge car.

Yep, the only thing "Factory" on that shell is the CW roof, and it's only 20% of what it was to start with-

Latemodel car setups and designs optimally way different- EDM's with good (ie Flopper) Areo packages can be setup with an almost solid rear suspension and feather light (4-8# springs) front end- giving you a car that steered through the front suspension, chassis flex on EDM's meant more entry to the apex but you walked the rear end off the corner, plus the battery offset was not exactly as much of a factor overall- although it was a key element.

Latemodels really need rear steering (LR toe in from 2-3deg and RR toe out from 1-2 deg) a very stiff (22-27# springs) heavy dampining to numb the front and a lot of rear roll to help get the car onto the RR in the corner
414.jpg
416.jpg
and keeping the weight transfer there until corner exit. Also chassis flex on a LM means more center off speed-

Latemodels don't need rear steer, just the right body.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Yeah, an EDM body :lol:

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

askbob wrote:Cool! I have a treasure trove of pics of latemodels my uncle built back in the 80's when he was in business(Bullit Chassis). The first pic is a wild wing set up on a wedge latemodel. The second is something I'd like to emulate with an RC body somehow being able to add the clear wings on the rear.

Those pics remind me of the wild dirt late models that used to race at our local track many years ago. This was the most famous car known as the Batmobile. The driver was Mike Blose and totally dominated the field with that car. As the years went on, the rules on side dams became more and more strict until they were completely banned. The last I saw on Speed Channel, that same driver was running with the STARS.

But I don't know which is cooler, the side dam on the car or the cut-off shirt the guy on the left is wearing? :lol:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I was just talking about half-shirts with someone the other day. :lol: I had a few when I was a kid, and when I would wear the neon colored mesh one with my Jams it automatically made me the most radical dude wherever I was. :mrgreen:

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

here's a dumb question (back to 1/10 dirt oval),

keeping to stock ce rear arms and hubs, what universals or cvds can i run?

i have to look at the terminator, it has cvd's but i can only assume they are 1/4" axels due to the jelly beans on the back.
will 1/4" axels work with the foams you are setting me up with reg? what about new rc4less wheels.

is there a modern cvd that will fit a stock rear end and allow me to run modern buggy wheels?
since the ce i'm building might end up as a bomber for now until our ovals gains popularity, i'll probably need buggy tires for a while.