CLM's Losi Collection and rebuild thread

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

clm
Approved Member

Re: Newbie Greetings and my small collection of JRX series c

Post by clm »

Woohoo got the Pro-SE going! After the g9 esc lost the ability to power on I figured I would be SOL until I bought another good one. That lot I bought in town had a couple 410 g2 escs in the tackle box that looked rather roasted and once I popped the cases they looked bad inside as well. Well after doing some testing one of them actually seems to work more or less. Yay! Although the g9 dying was really annoying as it was working perfectly in the Mini T, it will still function however with an external battery pack but that is somewhat against the point :p

The motor seems to be working pretty well considering I had to put the 12t double armature from a Kyosho Atom Smasher into a spare losi revolution motors 3 piece case. The Atom smasher case was quite corroded and required hammering out the timing ring to get everything apart. No idea what the original armature was in the Losi motor or if I even managed to get it back together and timed in ok for a basher motor as there are no timing marks on the losi case.

I also dug out some hard hard kyosho rear tires as there was no point taking some of the x pattern tires out to burn off on the street heh.

I also accidentally bought another Losi on ebay... a micro desert truck lol. I don't have enough room for a 1/10 or mini scale track of any sort but think I could squeeze a micro track into the back yard... or the dining room table :roll: For a bit over $12 shipped it is a complete roller without any of the crappy 27mhz gear.

Chris
Attachments
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1431.JPG
IMG_1429.JPG
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

janaya
Approved Member

Post by janaya »

Nice collection. I get bitten by the resto bug every time I go read through the different sections of this forum. I had a few Losi kits and now I want to look for these now. I hate this forum, no I don't. I just have no will power and looking for a scape goat to blame.
Javier -

RC10 Shelfer, RC10 Worlds Car Runner, RC10T Shelfer, RC10T2 Runner, SC18, JConcepts BJ4, B5M and counting.
RC10T WOIN Build http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32541

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

I would love to restore some of these but I don't know how to restore the plastic or graphite chassis without just replacing them... and I haven't found any new ones yet! lol

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

clm
Approved Member

Re: CLM's Losi Collection and rebuild thread

Post by clm »

Just received a front body mount in the mail so thought I would try the free evader body on the XXTG+. I kind of figured the G+ XL chassis would be too long for it and I would have to switch back to the shorter one... not so! The body dropped on with the holes drilled perfectly! I do need to find some decent losi stickers for it as I don't want to disgrace it with Evader decals... other then the grill and headlights of course lol

I do wish I could find proper XXT bodies however.

Chris
Attachments
IMG_1773.JPG
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

I managed to get all my jrx based cars (and my two XX's had to butt in!) rolling and decided to take a nice group photo :)
IMG_1862.JPG

Need to replace the chassis on the lxt and proSE or find better examples... but they fill the holes for now. I would also like to find better JRXT and PRO chassis plates... but as with the others, what they have now will work for now.

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

aggpm09

Post by aggpm09 »

Your original trailing arm JRX looks great, I've been looking for one like that to buy for sometime and they are hard to find. The condition of yours looks really good. Have fund with it!

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

When you say clean up/restore the plastic Losi chassis, what have you tried?

I did a wet sand (1000 grit) and followed it up with some Pledge (yes, furniture polish) and was happy with the results. Didnt get all the scratches/wear marks out of the bottom, but smoothed it up and give it that new plastic shine :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

As of right now, the only thing I have tried is sourcing new chassis plates, I have been hesitant about sanding/polishing/filling/painting those chassis due to the fact I am afraid they will end up looking even worse then they do :?

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Well I got a new chassis plate... so used it on the Jrxt
IMG_2010.JPG
IMG_2011.JPG
I am amazed the thing is looking nice! I do need to find another 5 link shock end and I only have one, but it works ok for display.

And I started making a beater out of the spare losi parts I had piling up... I am going to get a waterproof receiver box for it from an evader and possibly a castle creations sidewinder v3 for it for the ultimate in hose-off ability :)
IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2009.JPG
It has rpm bellcranks and front bulkhead along with a traxxas bumper... that bolted right on O.o It has a set of 10t front shocks on the back and trinity long shocks on the front right now. I will probably eventually get b4 wheels with dirt hawg tires on them and a junior 2 body... I am tired of thrashing one of the cars I am trying to collect ;)

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

Which traxxas bumper is a direct bolt-on? I can't tell from the pics.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

shirochanwrx wrote:Which traxxas bumper is a direct bolt-on? I can't tell from the pics.
looks like its part number #2735 front bumper. Found on alot of vintage traxxas stuff along with several models that still survive today like the rustler.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

Chris liking the rockcrawler edition!! and tires...did u make it the ultimate "wet" setup yet? :) ...AWESOME idea!
Glad to be back in this hobby so many many years later. To see new things and to recollect on ALL cool vintage models!
As well as to BUILD :
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27591
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33429

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Well it has been a LONG time without any Losi updates. I read back through this thread and noticed I had never mentioned the new build Junior T I had scored off ebay which is the Junior T that donated it's body to Team Bluegrove or the fact I had assembled the XXT as a runner and retired the LXT and ProSE.

Just recently I managed to get A pile of parts from fellow board member that included a new unused slimline molded chassis! Yeah! Now I am only missing one slimline chassis and a Jrxt/Pro chassis from having new chassis on all the Jrx cars but my original x2.... But... When the package came in It was not the chassis that caught my full attention it was the pile of early x2 parts.

I immediately tore apart my 'beater' Losi buggy and started building a Jrx2 Runner. I think I have come to the decision my two vintage runners are going to be this jrx2 and my beater 10t/t2 meld.

Well, I am missing an appropriate rear shock tower and apropriate shocks from making a roller.. well that and front wheel bearings >.> It also requires some steering posts and the L shaped bellcrank. I was unable to reuse the bellcranks from the lwb chassis as the RPM ones require drilling the chassis..

I would love to find some RPM front arms for the Jrx2 in a used state so I am not afraid to run them ;)

The plan right now is to put a pile of Sabula tech parts on it for non stressed parts, I will need to use the lower shock mounts as it is and that worrys me somewhat. But heck plans change as we all know so only time will tell how it turns out!
Attachments
losichsslots.jpg
losichsslots.jpg (41.94 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
losichsslots.jpg
losichsslots.jpg (41.94 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
jrx2.jpg
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Well it is a more or less complete jrx2 roller now. Many of the parts came from my pile of seconds although R Can helped with some.

I still plan on getting a Sabula tech battery box and other misc items next month, this months budget has mostly gone into the rc10 b1.5 heh. I am also looking forward to ordering a new bodyset from TBG when they are back from vacation because they include an under tray that can hide the chassis flaws ;)

Future plans tentatively include Lundsford turnbuckles and RPM Ball ends. Maybe some 2.2 wheels with dirt hawg tires; I think I would either like orange ones with some stickers to mimic the original 5 spoke or some yellow ones with custom decals to mimic the logo wheels. And if I can find them some RPM swept front arms. I will likely go with some form of lipo and brushless setup. the rest is up in the air.

It will be nice to have a Jrx2 to drive and not just baby heh
Attachments
jrx2s.jpg
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I'm in a very similar situation as you and love seeing that I'm not the only one. 8) The Jrx-2 is just such a nice buggy. I've got a shelfer, a runner, a roller and enough parts for one or two more, :oops: . Do you have any suggestion on what weight shock oil is best for the 5 link? I have the stock springs. My runner tends to nose dive off taller jumps and I'm not sure if I should soften or stiffen. :cry: I hate changing shock oil. :evil:
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."