Losi jrx2 pro thing build

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stevejc
Approved Member

Re: Losi jrx2 pro thing build

Post by stevejc »

Recently got the car looking more like a car

Jrx pro body, Jrx pro SE gear cover, TBG highdownforce wing and untertray. Total coincidence that the ribs in the wing match up with the wing wire. Fits on it really well

Pro se cover needed to cover slipper clutch. Just about ready for masking and paint. Bottom diff case screw replaced with longer top one, gear cover now has 3 mounts. Ive got ideas for paint but i might just keep it simple.

turbo scorpion

Post by turbo scorpion »

Looks great! I recently picked up a jrx2 and am debating what to do with it.....

stevejc
Approved Member

Post by stevejc »

thanks, its taken a while to say that but since i bought the body other stuff got in the way and it came to a halt. Got the mojo back to carry on with it when I happened across the wheels id been looking for, to match the fronts that i got for a steal when i first started the project. Once the wheels arrived i bought paint, and painted.Image

Nothing exiting or groundbreaking but they were originaly my dads race colours yeeaarrss ago, and also mine when i raced RCs. I had originaly planned to do a vintage style build, with vintage stickers and a brighter red, but ive got soo many stickers needing using that it made more sence not to buy more, and to build it as a taseful modern-ish build, authough it does wear small diameter wheels and original losi tyres with next to no wear, fronts came off one car, rears off another. The logo wheels seem to be alot more common in the colours, with afew white fronts turning up, but very few rears in white. There are a couple of other bits id like to get for it, just to make a bit more complete, but it probably wont get used.

This is the second losi ive restored (well, parts from 4 cars went into it, plus extras) The first was a Losi xx kinwald which was stripped of its blue and again, painted in my colours

Next ive got a xxxcr Atomic carbon to complete. Its all built and cut, just needs painting. Losts of extra bits on it, as if a carbon fibre chassis wasnt enough! And not im looking to get a Losi 22 to complete the line up. Damn these habbits......

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Very nice restoration indeed.
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

stevejc
Approved Member

Post by stevejc »

cheers dude. If all goes well this weekend illget some more bits painted, infact ive already done an undertray for this but forgot to put a pic up. Ive been experementing a bit more with masking and fading.

stevejc
Approved Member

Re: Losi jrx2 pro, XXCR Kinwald, XXXCR Atomic Carbon

Post by stevejc »

well, more practice is clearly needed in the paint department, but on the bright side i have a new found, deeper respect for some of the incredible paint jobs on here, keep it up guys!

I was going to start a new thread for my latest build, but i wasnt sure quite how vintage things had to be on here, so i thought id highjack my own thread with it. What started as a new XXXCR kit i bought last year, along with an Atomic Carbon mid motor carbon fibre chassis conversion kit, and during the last few months ive collected whatever little extras i could find. Ive almost completed it now, it might get some electrics but the intention was to keep an unused collection of Losi rwd 1/10 buggies with nice mods. Still got the 22 to tick off the list but im happy with what ive got so far.Ill list what extras its got on it later when i can actualy remember what they all are. There is still alot of the original kit sitting in the box!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Beautiful car. I like the color scheme and consistency of the hardware colors matching the paint. Attention-to-detail makes all the difference! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

stevejc
Approved Member

Post by stevejc »

cheers mate, I made a point of getting as many white bit as i could, the rod ends are genuine losi ones, and the shock socks wernt available in white in the uk and the only way i could get them was from Australia! As far as detail goes, when the back end was spun round to make it mid motored, along with the fan mount, so much of the body had to be cut away that it left a huge gap between the body and the rear shock tower. To fill the gap i used a spoiler that id bought and decided not to use, and cut it into 3 pieces and used it to bridge the gap. Imagedamn blurryness

Also the fan guard was blue, so i attacked it with caustic soda, got the anodising off and polished it. The red nuts have been hanging about for a while since i bought a job lot of about 75 of them for not alot, and have since found their way to all the cars. Theres also afew titainium bolts in there since i had to try and get all the correct length ones to bolt all the bits of the chassis together, where i couldnt get the right length i used some red alloy spacers, which have also been handy elswhere. Then theres the wheels. Im a wheel whore when it comes to 1/1 cars, and when i found these 3 spokes for cheap, i had them. The seller originaly mixed his orders up and sent the to literaly the wrong end of the country, and i thought i was never going to get them. I was pleased as punch when the finaly got here.
Theres a few bits left to do, like remask and do the window frames, cut a bit more of the body to fit the fan, then it might get electrics, but ive got my next project arriving soon, which was inspired by a toptrumps card.

stevejc
Approved Member

Re: Losi jrx2 pro build

Post by stevejc »

Long time since an update, but a long time since i did anything! The latest round of tinkering was kickstarted by my boss. He bought in some old tatt from home, kids books and whatnot. I spotted a book the nephew would love so asked if i could have it, he said ''sure, i guess youve seen the car aswell?''
Nope, i hadnt seen it, he then pulled out a vintage Techniplus controller, in its mint box (this is going well i thought), followed by a vintage Tamiya Fire Dragon, well used, but in its box with spares and paperwork in as new condition. Sweet. Also in the box, completly randomly, was a good as new Team Losi Performance motor, just what i need for the JRX2! Correct era and all! Thats found its way into the car and the body colour spoiler (didnt look as good as i thought it would) has now been replaced with a standard one in silver.
Unfortunatly i cant find my camera to take any photos at the moment, as soon as i can i will. The XXCR also has a set of new Losi 5 spokes on it replacing the Balistic Buggy ones that i was never keen on.
Now that ive got the building bug back ive got an itch for a losi 22. :roll:

stevejc
Approved Member

Post by stevejc »

Well, it didnt take me long to find a 22 to buy, no sooner had i done the new year thing, i wandered onto ebay to find a new listing for a 22 vega.

Mine. 8)

stevejc
Approved Member

Post by stevejc »

Now that ive found the camera, pics of new stuff

The XXCR Kinwald now has new wheels, proper Losi ones, which i prefer over the old ones.

The JRX2 PRO with new JRX wing. The old red one seemed like a good idea, but just didnt look right.

No new pic of the xxx, but nothing has changed.

Authough this is a vintage RC forum, the 22 ive got winging its way to me is quite a nice thing and my intention with it is much like the xxx, its relativly unusual to start with so i'll restore it and load it with extras to add it to the collection. Is it welcome here or am i barking up the wrong tree? :D

urpaldan
Approved Member

Post by urpaldan »

These are all great builds Steve. I like how you've used matching hardware and paint throughout giving your builds a theme. I'd love to do a jrx 2 pro myself.

As for the 22 id love to see it. Im sure no one would mind you posting a few pics in this thread? The mods may not be impressed if you started a new thread for it however. If you did want to do so you could use the rc tech forum for new school stuff.

stevejc
Approved Member

Post by stevejc »

cheers, always nice to hear what people think, the colour scheme is based on my dads old racing colours, which i always thought looked smart and simple, which is a good thing because id probably ruin a body trying to do a fancy scheme, im good at spraying and masking but any creeping under the tape really winds me up. Ill post the 22 up in this thread, which is now more about the collection and any changes ill make to it rather than just the jrx2, id like to change the title but im not sure i can. The 22 was due to arrive today, but ive got home from work to find it hasnt arrived which has left me feeling a bit lost. Oh well.
I really enjoy building these 1/10 buggies, I often watched them race in the 90's whilst attending classic car shows but never bought one as i was busy with my own show car, but now restoring and modifying 1/10's is my current, full on, bug. My 1/8 nitro just doesnt get used, just dusted.

Seeing as ive just found this pic in my photo bucket, this is where the colour scheme comes from, proper racing pedigree!

stevejc
Approved Member

Post by stevejc »

Just noticed i didnt include a picture of the new free team losi motor. Just the job.

urpaldan
Approved Member

Post by urpaldan »

That losi motor even goes with your colour scheme! 8)

Cool picture of your dads stock car, what is it? I was thinking a hillman imp but its not!