Kyosho Turbo Burns - New Rebuild

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lavigna

Re: Kyosho Turbo Burns - New Rebuild

Post by Lavigna »

lexster76 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:38 pm That is a cool selection of parts Lavigna. Congrats on the Duratrax Chassis, that is amazing!
Could you tell me what the Kyosho RM-16s are used for on the Inferno?
Thanks! Is that Duratrax chassis considered a choice alternative to the stock Inferno chassis?

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

I am very excited to say I just bought a new Inferno 4WD with a new OS RX engine and pipe. It's being shipped today, and hopefully it arrives well. It is very similar in condition to how I received both of my Turbo Burns, in that it's built but never run, and has plenty of dust from sitting. It will get a full tear down and rebuild, just like the TB's.

I was really hoping to find a Turbo Inferno, but after 1.5 years of looking, I never found a suitable offering. It won't really matter in the end though, as my planned upgrades will more than cover all of the differences between the 4WD and Turbo versions anyway.

I guess it's almost time to start a build thread for the Inferno. It can be a pain to take the time to create a thorough build thread, but they can be a great source of information, and a lot of fun to go back and read over time.

The below picture is from the seller.
Attachments
20190213_152553.jpg

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

lavigna wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:35 pm
lexster76 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:38 pm That is a cool selection of parts Lavigna. Congrats on the Duratrax Chassis, that is amazing!
Could you tell me what the Kyosho RM-16s are used for on the Inferno?
Thanks! Is that Duratrax chassis considered a choice alternative to the stock Inferno chassis?
I have never seen it before but is a great example of 3rd party options so I have linked this page to the Wikipedia page concerning the Inferno. :-)
I have sent you a PM (or was it an email...) concerning some other parts that are available.
Really looking forward to seeing how the inferno turns out with all the carbon parts. Was there a carbon radio tray too?
Current collection can be viewed here. https://flic.kr/ps/3guKZY

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

^ Lester - Thanks for the email!

^ Dimitri - I really want that BSW19 and BSW50 front tall tower you mentioned. I sent you a PM last week but haven't heard back yet.

This NIP Airtronics Caliber 3PS is a great match to both the Turbo Burns and Turbo Inferno. I wanted this radio so bad as a kid. I thought the Airtronics ad (see below) in RCCA was just so cool.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190214-234800_Gallery.jpg
RC-Car-ActionMay-1994-Airtromics-Caliber-3P.jpg

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Dimitri - I replied to your pm today. Please let me know on here if you don't receive it. Thanks.

GorillaParts

Post by GorillaParts »

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Kyosho Burns that I also plan to restore. Does anybody know where I can find a front lower arm, or do any other arms fit?

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

GorillaParts wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:20 pm Hey guys,

I just picked up a Kyosho Burns that I also plan to restore. Does anybody know where I can find a front lower arm, or do any other arms fit?
Hi, it depends whether you have a regular Burns or a Turbo Burns. If you have a Turbo Burns you can use the lower arms from the classic Inferno. If it is a regular Burns you have to get one specifically for that car as they are shorter.
You can find information on which parts are compatible in the Wikipedia articles mentioned on Page 7 of this thread.
Looking forward to seeing a thread on the rebuild!

Edit 24.2.19:
Concerning the parts availability, it depends on which level of restoration you are aiming at and what condition your car is currently in.
  • If your car has heavy signs of use and you are just looking to replace broken or missing parts to get it running again I would get a descent, parts car off eBay or craigslist as that is much cheaper than getting individual spares.
  • If your car was rarely used and you want to replace a few parts to make it into a near mint "shelf queen" then it is best to look for individual new parts on ebay or make a list and post it in various forums. Aluminum parts can be sanded to remove scratches and discoloration.
  • If your car has very heavy usage and you want a "shelf queen" I would honestly be patient and just buy a virtually new car off ebay as this is often cheaper than the sum of the parts you would otherwise buy. If you do buy a new car try to get the original box and instructions with it too as this will give you a better re-sale price at a later date.

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Small update. I added the optional fiber brake disc, and changed out the throttle servo horn to one that matches the box pictures. I can't get myself to put on a white servo arm for the steering, as is also shown on the box, because I don't like how the white looks.

I still have a couple of upgrades planned for this buggy before I can call it done. I am hoping to get the needed parts soon.

Last picture shows this buggy next to my bone stock Turbo Burns. Quite a difference.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190407-213216_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190407-213024_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190407-213507_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190407-213421_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190407-213247_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190407-213313_Gallery.jpg

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

I recently scored this NIP BSW51 motor mount. I have these on my Turbo Inferno, but I don't know if they are the correct vintage for the Turbo Burns? Should I add them to this build?
Attachments
Screenshot_20190408-171436_Gallery.jpg

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Yes, just because your builds have so many different colors it really makes the cars pop!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

I say If it's a bsw part, it fair game. People running the T.burns used it at the time. I run with it on mine still :P

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Dimitri wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:46 am I say If it's a bsw part, it fair game. People running the T.burns used it at the time. I run with it on mine still :P
I second that. I only didn't include one on my "full option" T. Burns as I preferred the look of the originals on that particular car.

Lavigna, I also bought that disc recently and have added it as an optional part on the Wikipedia page. Didn't even know it existed until you posted a picture of it a while back. Really like your new pictures by the way, the car looks amazing.

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

On the other hand it does open a whole other can of worms. For example, I also use the T.Inferno shocks and ball bearing servo saver towers on my T.Burns... they are BSW parts.

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Dimitri wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:22 am On the other hand it does open a whole other can of worms. For example, I also use the T.Inferno shocks and ball bearing servo saver towers on my T.Burns... they are BSW parts.
I think BSW-50 was the last optional part that was truly produced for the Burns (for the SCC), so one could maybe use that as a guideline. If someone could confirm or deny that I would be grateful as I would add that information to the Wikipedia page.
Of course that would mean one could not install the BSW-51 engine mount though.
On the other hand my front carbon shock mount with number BSW-25 isn't on the Burns options list in my T. Burns manual either even though many of the the numbers before and after are... :roll:
I guess it depends on how much of a purist one want's to be. :wink:

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Yes, there is no right answer.

Now that you mentioned the SCC (special champion car)... Is that an actual T.Burns version? I always thought it was an arbitrary thing taken from a french magazine article. I mean, is there an actual box that says Special Champion Car on it? The wikipedia article also doesn't have an item number for it...