RC28 modding

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mk-Zero
Business Member

RC28 modding

Post by mk-Zero »

The RC28 is good cheap fun, but there is a LOT of room for improvement on this rebranded Exceed buggy. For starters, the lack of a real front suspension. The buggy has arms with "living hinges" that allow some movement, but its way stiffer than the rear, which has suspension similar to a Grasshopper.
20180221_222351.jpg
20180221_222321.jpg
I bought a bunch of spare parts so i could measure and test with them, rather than pull the car apart. First thing was to recreate the front bulkhead, minus the arms:
20180530_215456.jpg
Then i added some arm mounts to the bulkhead and designed some arms. The arms still need shock mounting provisions.
20180531_070009.jpg
20180531_070000.jpg
For now, to keep things simple, the c hubs are fixed to the arms, like the original setup. I dont know if its worth the added complexity on this tiny car to have seperate c hubs and camber links, we'll see though.

I need to add provisions to the bulkhead for a shock tower, and then design the tower. Eventually I'll have Jeff cut me one out of some thin G20. For shocks, at least for now, i plan to use rear shocks off the RC28, i already bought a spare set. Eventually maybe I'll machine some out of aluminum. It would be cool to anodize them gold.

Eventually i may also try to make some type of mods to the rear of the car such as to put a G20 shock tower back there as well.

Even as-is, the car is really fun. My son and i have a good time with them running around the yard.

If there's any interest, whatever i come up with for this buggy I'm make available to you guys.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Re: RC28 modding

Post by mk-Zero »

In light of the overwhelming interest in this project, ive decided to post an update :lol: :lol: :P

I've got the front of the car to where im pretty happy with it, at least as far as i can tell without fully assembling and driving it. Only thing is, these cars are made so cheaply, i dont think they're made to come apart. There are these press-fit pins holding the front suspension together and the front wheels on. The next step is for me to get the wheels off the donor car and put them on the new front suspension, then swap that suspension to the donor car. We'll see how that goes.
20180606_224936.jpg
20180606_224838.jpg
20180606_224826.jpg
20180606_224804.jpg
I'm also toying with the idea of getting some gold colored filament and printing shock bodys, and maybe even more of a tub shaped and open chassis for it. I may also print the front arms in white. Ive got some ideas for the rear suspension too, to at least get it more looking the part.

Untill the next exciting update... :lol:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Brian, that's actually really cool! I am following it :)

Have you tried looking into micro-T oil shocks? I had them on mine a long time ago... the scale looks about right:
https://www.asiatees.com/display?Team-Losi-Micro-T-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=Team%20Losi&model=Micro%20T&id=1600&pid=1

(pics on www.overrc.com, these are 3racing not GPM, but they look pretty close - I took the pics and wrote the article)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Thanks Paul, It's good to know that I have one person interested, lol :P

I wonder if they still make those shocks, they show out of stock and I didn't see any on ebay. With the Micro-T's being discontinued it's hard to say if they will keep making aftermarket parts for them. None the less, I requested an email from them if/when they are back in stock.

For now though I'll just be using the stock pogosticks, lol. Or my own in gold for better cosmetics if I end up making them. I'm trying to make this conversion cheap and simple for people who want to do it, but still improve the handling of the little thing, at least a little. Luckily the bar is pretty low, having essentially no front suspension in stock form :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

this is very cool to see! I don't have one but still interested. I think the micro-T parts are what were used when the guy made the NRC-32 rc10 buggies. he's making a yokomo mini, not sure what he is using for shocks on that model.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

jwscab wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:17 pm this is very cool to see! I don't have one but still interested. I think the micro-T parts are what were used when the guy made the NRC-32 rc10 buggies. he's making a yokomo mini, not sure what he is using for shocks on that model.
Cool, if you happen to find out what shocks he's using let me know 8)
Thanks

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

I've continued to work on this here and there. I decided to go ahead and make a new proper looking chassis for it. This is just a "rough draft", i still need to add mounting holes, servo mounting, suspension mounts, etc. I plan to get gold ABS filament for the pan and the shocks.
20180621_065836.jpg
20180621_070029.jpg
Ive also designed proper looking shocks, complete with a hex shaped caps. These should look pretty cool in gold.
20180622_210406.jpg
20180622_215744.jpg
These things are tiny!
20180622_210317.jpg
20180622_233011.jpg
20180622_233109.jpg

I still need to finish the chassis, and design a rear bulkhead and tower. I also plan to make some aluminum nose brace tubes for it. Little by little it will come together.

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Tripping The Light Fantastic!
Bum on Direct Deposit

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Looks great Brian.
I'm jealous of you guys and your 3d printers.
I'm guessing that once you have everything sorted out, you will make the kit available through Shapeways? Do they also have a gold-like filament option availalble??
Doug

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Thanks guys!
One way or another I'll make everything available. Shapeways doesnt have gold color material (other than actual gold :shock: ), closest they have is yellow. If it doesnt look good then I'll print them myself to sell. Of course the white and/or black parts from Shapeways will look good, so its really just the gold parts that are up in the air.
The gold ABS filament looks really good, looks like it would be a pretty close match to AE gold anno. A guy at work brought something in he had printed with it and it has a nice metallic look to it and is about the right shade.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

haha... I was about to say the lack of gold colored filament from Shapeways wasn't a deal breaker but since you've mentioned this:

"The gold ABS filament looks really good, looks like it would be a pretty close match to AE gold anno. A guy at work brought something in he had printed with it and it has a nice metallic look to it and is about the right shade."

... now, suddenly I guess it IS important. :lol:
Doug

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

XLR8 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:14 pm haha... I was about to say the lack of gold colored filament from Shapeways wasn't a deal breaker but since you've mentioned this:

"The gold ABS filament looks really good, looks like it would be a pretty close match to AE gold anno. A guy at work brought something in he had printed with it and it has a nice metallic look to it and is about the right shade."

... now, suddenly I guess it IS important. :lol:
Yeah, I *think* its going to look really good. To me, having proper looking gold parts (pan and shocks) is going to put this thing over the top. I'm going to order a spool in the next day or so. I'll keep you guys posted.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

The gold ABS filament came in today. I was in too much of a hurry to see how the shock bodies and pan looked to do any design changes, i just printed the same versions from above.

Shocks. I also plan to make white adjustable shock collars as well.
20180628_223455.jpg
The gold filament is a pretty damn close match to the AE gold anodizing, I'm pretty happy with it.
20180628_231234.jpg
20180628_231401.jpg
20180628_232952.jpg
20180628_232515.jpg
I need to print the front arms in white, things will be looking pretty close then.
Now that I'm not planing on using the original chassis, ill also design a front bulkhead that looks more correct, and it will be white too. After that its on to the back of the car. This has been a really fun project so far.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

really nice work! Maybe if you are redoing the bulkhead, you can give the nose a little kickup. The tower stands pretty upright.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

jwscab wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:10 am really nice work! Maybe if you are redoing the bulkhead, you can give the nose a little kickup. The tower stands pretty upright.
Thanks man!
Yeah, the front kickup has been bothering me, it's only about 8 degrees. I need to pull the donor car apart and have a closer look at the steering and see what the effect of adding kickup would be. Even like 15-20 degrees would look a lot better. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it to work.