B4.5

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: B4.5

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Joey, make sure to rough up the surface of the main chassis for the JB weld too-

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I'd probably wipe down the chassis with acetone too, to get rid of the CA, if the JBweld bonds to the CA, it will still only be as strong as CA.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Glad I could help :)

I've got a chassis test planned for the near future for the standard WC chassis. If it works I'll pass it along.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Joey, make sure to rough up the surface of the main chassis for the JB weld too-
jwscab wrote:I'd probably wipe down the chassis with acetone too, to get rid of the CA, if the JBweld bonds to the CA, it will still only be as strong as CA.
already started this process, did some scraping and block sanding on the side pods already, and a quick "knock off the big pieces" on the chassis. before the JB weld goes on, it will be cleaned up completely. hope to pick up the jb weld and other stuff i need for other cars today at lunch, i still need to get the hex front wheels and a body to get this one on the track.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

JB welded the chassis, messed around with some CF scrap and made some little bits to hold the 22 velcro (battery strap) and mounted electronics.

Just need front wheels/tires, Avid Triad slipper set up & gear cover...then get a body. Off to the races after that.

Oh...as it sits, battery included it is @ 1080 grams. 100 grams lighter than my 22 (without tires or battery!). I may need to invest in some lead...

--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

well...over 100 buck later :)

Avid Triad Slipper, all new tranny internals, wheels/tires, body/wing, gear cover....and what did I forget when I was at the shop...dogbones or MIP axles...I have MIP dogbones but stock RTR axles need to complete one or the other.

--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Last update until I run it (sorry Reg, I guess I should have created my own build thread instead of stealing yours).

Paint:

--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

JK Racing wrote:Last update until I run it (sorry Reg, I guess I should have created my own build thread instead of stealing yours).

Paint:

It's cool, your carrying the idea on where I left off anyway. I'm glad to see it going on

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Joey, we are getting Jeremy packed to head out there for the Reedy race. If you need anything for that car let me know and he will bring it. He gets there Wednesday. Be sure to stop and say hey to him. He will have my white RC10 with him so you can check that out too.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

If all goes to plan, I will stop by Sunday. I need to get my own racing fix on Saturday :) Car is all done but putting CVDs in, everyone carriers the AE CVAs, but I am putting the MIP CVDs in, just need axles (I know where to get them, just didnt drive over there yesterday).

I would like to ask what big bore springs does Jeremy run on the buggy? I guessed and bought green front/white rear, thinking I went too heavy on the front. For now, standard shocks, #2/30, #2/25 front/rear. On the bench it feels awesome.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

He runs the Avid yellow springs front and rear.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Been trying to stay away from the Avid springs, I'll go broke in no time :)

I hit the track for a few hours today, my SC10 was absolutely dialed and went any where I put it. The buggy has a bit of push, could be tires, could be not enough weight on the nose, could be wrong springs (green are the 3rd up from the lightest spring, think I need to pick up the BB brown or blacks). Overall the car was very forgiving and had fantastic traction/sidebite. I know I was running the wrong rear tires, but the car didnt mind (outdoor holeshot track, was running soft Panther Rattlers). If I got into the loose stuff, I could squirt right out with a blip of the throttle. Straight as an arrow. Flew really well. Overall, super impressed so far. My 22 may go up for sale :)

I would have gotten more track time, but a 4wd slash had a different idea. T boned me at full tilt and knocked off one of the side rails. Searched for quite a while and we couldnt find it anywhere. I'll dig into my box of stuff see what I can use to fab up a new side rail.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

It's like driving a warm fuzzy blanket :)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

JHarris wrote:It's like driving a warm fuzzy blanket :)
My one weekend with mine on the track was exactly that, car was super stable and predictable everywhere.

But, in solid (non narrowed form) it was too predictable. I'm bummed beyond words that our indoor track closed 2 weeks later :| and I never did get to try it indoors this way.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I like my cars to rotate, but a slight push doesnt bother me, I like warm fuzzy blankets :) Driving on the edge is faster, but less consistent for this old guy. I'll give up the fast single lap here and there for super consistent and easy to drive. At the club level, that is what puts you on the podium almost every time. Trying to think of the track time I had, I think what I liked most is the touch of on power push, I cannot stand a car that walks out under acceleration.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com