Charger recommendations

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DMAT
Approved Member

Charger recommendations

Post by DMAT »

So i got a friend who decided to buy into the rc hobby. He just got himself an rtr buggy kit. Well he knows he still needs a few things and I can help with most but the one thing im not sure is a good charger. at moment all he has is one of those wall blocks chargers that you just guess at it being charged. He doesnt need something high end but something that at least shows some simblance of the charge on the battery and can handle NiMH and LiPo. right now all he has is NiHM batteries but he's running a brushless system so ill try to get him to buy LiPo's as for extra batteries. odds are his batteries will have traxxas or tamiya plugs so it should match that.

This one is more for me but what would you guys recommend for a multi battery charger.

SFC K
Approved Member

Re: Charger recommendations

Post by SFC K »

I have had this one for about 4 years now and still works perfect. For the price it is a great deal. It only charges one battery though. You will need to get a AC power adaptor or power supply for it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7028__Turnigy_Accucel_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_Accessories.html
Jeff

ca-rj
Approved Member

Post by ca-rj »

Those are available in many different names. I have two of the IMAX B6's, which are identical to those. They work fine. Can't beat the price either.
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

ea77

Post by ea77 »

I've gone this path just recently. Bought a quad charger, SkyRC B6A Quattro AC, which is similar to the Hitec X4 AC Plus charger. SkyRC is the OEM and reference design which Hitec uses.

I found for lipos that are able to charge at 2X to 5X its rate, that charger was slow. All I use currently are 2S lipos 4000-5000MaH capacities and it maxes out at 6A, balance charge took about 45-50mins to complete.

Started visiting the track and have two battery packs with me. I don't have much time to sit around and wait for lipos to finish charging so I investigated some duo chargers. Got it down to Orion Touch Advantage Duo for AC, Icharger based Reaktor Duo from Hobbyking, or ICharger 406Duo

I bought a ICharger 406Duo (40 refers to 40A max, and 6 - 6cell max) in the end.

Looks like a Super Nintendo console with a nifty pull up angle screen. Requires an external powersupply, which I picked up rather cheaply from a person making one locally out of computer server power supplies. Just blows the old charger out of the water with features but most importantly it has the power to 40A capability or more with async mode charge, has high drain balance and has internal and external discharge. I can strongly recommend this charger if you want to be done with thinking about buying chargers for a long while.

sschering
Approved Member

Post by sschering »

I currently have an Imax B6 but someday I hope to grow up and get a Cellpro 10XP or a Powerlab 6.

I ran across my old Panda AC/DC Nicad cooker.. those things have any use or value these days?

KrAcOn

Post by KrAcOn »

Thunder AC680. http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

Working great and a few friends bought the same unit.
RC10RPM. RC10T,RC10B3,Yokomo Mx4,RC10B5M,RC10B5M-L,RC10B4.2 .

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I bought the Hitec X1 ac plus, it will charge anything and is pretty easy to figure out even for me. Gotta buy the squid cable set, really unlocks any charger to be able to plug into ANYTHING. Thew hitec is more than some others, but i havent regretted it a bit
Attachments
Hot-Multi-19-Mega-font-b-Squid-b-font-RC-Charge-Plug-Adapter-Plub-King-Lead.jpg
Hitec_X1_Charger.jpg
Hitec_X1_Charger.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
Hitec_X1_Charger.jpg
Hitec_X1_Charger.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

OptimaZe
Approved Member

Post by OptimaZe »

SFC K wrote:I have had this one for about 4 years now and still works perfect. For the price it is a great deal. It only charges one battery though. You will need to get a AC power adaptor or power supply for it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7028__Turnigy_Accucel_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_Accessories.html
I've also been using this charger for several years and it has been great for the price.
Holly RC Club
On The RCP

ea77

Post by ea77 »

Been down this road this past few months

Depends on what you want it to do, your budget.

I have 2 battery packs, go to the track. Had a quad charger before but found 6A charging max was too slow. 45-min to charge.

Couple weeks ago bought a Icharger 406duo , dual channel, 40A, 6 cell capability, regen discharge, very easy to use, fast balance capabilities. USB slot for phone/tablet

It's kind of be all of chargers. Don't see myself buying another charger for a long time.

Neat charger for single channel I found was a Skyrc charger 6x80+ with Bluetooth connectivity via an Android/Apple iOS app. Priced under 100.

Harvey Wood
Approved Member

Post by Harvey Wood »

iMax B6 or the Tenergy Vantage B6s should be fine for you for charging LiPo or NiMH batteries. The B6 will charge an extensive variety of cell even your auto battery however is confined to max 50W yet becarefull with your charging contraptions. there are additionally great sort of balance charger accessible in your general market.

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

OptimaZe wrote:
SFC K wrote:I have had this one for about 4 years now and still works perfect. For the price it is a great deal. It only charges one battery though. You will need to get a AC power adaptor or power supply for it.

I've also been using this charger for several years and it has been great for the price.

I just got the 80 watt version of this and have been VERY happy. According to the manual, it has some upgrades vs the old version.

goten007

Post by goten007 »

Recently,I got a GTpower. TD610 charger,it works well and have a nice price~
Maybe you can try GT chargers,many choices~ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: http://www.gt-rc.com/