Your biggest mistake

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

smearns65

Re: Your biggest mistake

Post by smearns65 »

All of the cars and parts I sold over the last 30 years to fund other projects :( .........If I only new then what I know now about the value of some vintage cars and parts.

Scott

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

I have 2.

I threw my first rc car, Tamiya Falcon, in the garbage. What was I thinking because now I am going to buy one.

I sold a MINT short wheelbase CAT with a nip chassis and 2 clear body shell and undertrays for 165.00USD. If only I had known it was easily worth 4 times that.

DOH!
"It's not broken, it's British!"

Greenie
Approved Member

Post by Greenie »

I regret giving away/ selling any of my RC stuff. If I never had, I'd still be the owner of the following; Hornet, Frog, Falcon, Blackfoot, RC10GT, and RC10 Nitro DS. Numerous tools, radios, spare parts etc... Atleast I kept my original gold pan. :) With the exception of letting my kids starve, I'll never sell another RC item again.

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

I sold a MINT short wheelbase CAT with a nip chassis and 2 clear body shell and undertrays for 165.00USD
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

junkman
Approved Member

Post by junkman »

5 or 6 years ago, which is really sad because that was not that long ago, I was wanting to build an ls1 powered rx-7. I went into the basement and started shoveling stuff on the bay. I sold a bnib tamiya 959, bnib optima mid se, 3 or 4 rc10's I had completely restored, and several others. The little rx-7 was nasty while it lasted, and I sold it to buy the lot my house sits on, but I kick myself all the time for getting rid of it.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Theres been a couple but I really regret selling my MRP High Roller. It was molded in the extra rare white plastic and was in awesome condition overall. Image

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I am suprised no one has said.... joining this forum and the result that comes with that membership and participation..... STOP THE MADNESS! :mrgreen:

(Or did I miss that post?)
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

mrlexan wrote:I am suprised no one has said.... joining this forum and the result that comes with that membership and participation..... STOP THE MADNESS! :mrgreen:

Haha...good call.
Since joining, I've gone from no older R/C's to @ 10 now....gee, thanks fellas.... :lol: :mrgreen:
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription.....is more cowbell."
Pinstriping by Josh

clinehobbies
Approved Member

Post by clinehobbies »

Selling off my NIP Delta and Parma D&D graphite chassis's for the yokomo's and 1/12th scales when I found Ebay years ago:(
Have a nice day! :)

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

HotRodJosh wrote:
mrlexan wrote:I am suprised no one has said.... joining this forum and the result that comes with that membership and participation..... STOP THE MADNESS! :mrgreen:

Haha...good call.
Since joining, I've gone from no older R/C's to @ 10 now....gee, thanks fellas.... :lol: :mrgreen:
+1 here on that one...since this thread was started I have been wanting to put that up but figured I'd get boo'd off the stage :lol:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

My biggest mistake(aside from buying a Revo PE only to have the MT class disappear :roll: )was probably selling off all my r/c stuff back in the day.Now,some 15 years later,I'm searching ebay and all these forums trying to buy most of those old rides back.Too bad some of them are costing 4 times as much as they did back when I bought them new. :shock: :lol:

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

It´s an old thread but there are still guys (me) making mistakes like that.

When I was younger I also sold all of my racing cars for buying new ones.
Biggest mistakes were selling my first offroad car what was the RC10 gold tube car and also some of my pan cars like the 1/12th AYK RX2000, Schumacher XL and C-Car and 1/10th Composite Craft Lynx II Elite.

All of the other cars what might be rare today I regret also but it´s not that important to me as those above.

Good thing is I found the AYK RX2000 now as new kit. Well that´s an over 30 years old car what never was touched. :D

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I don't have one single biggest regret. I have a history of them. My first regret was ruining my original Tamiya Fox and then later my RC10 to the point that I no longer had them where I could use them. Thankfully I had the foresight to give my RC10 parts away to a friend who still runs them to this day. At least I get visitation rights! I also have another RC10 now anyways.

My last regret is only 2 short years ago and I'm still kicking myself for it. I just got back into RC a couple of months ago. I thought I was out of it forever and had no idea what anything was worth or that any of it was worth anything. I don't sell anything on ebay. I refuse to pay their overly high fees and usually end up throwing things away or giving things away rather than put up with the hassle.

Right before I got married I was cleaning out the house and literally threw lots of things away in the trash including many of my RC parts. Among them were my Tamiya Fox remnants (full chassis and suspension minus body, shocks, and wheels) which included a rare Thorpe Ball diff and dogbones for that car as well as all of my spare parts and 2 full sets of original jellybean RC10 wheels. What the hell was I thinking??? Now I'm buying back all the old parts/cars on ebay (the evil place I avoid) to restore my collection. The difference now is that they will all be restored to perfect running condition.

The good news is that this very large mistake has made me appreciate those things more. I won't make that mistake again. If I ever want to get rid of any of my things, I will find out what they are worth first and then find a good home for them.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

Mine would be selling off my 1/8 Deltas. 2 P2s and a P4. They all had period engines plus a crapload of rims/tires and NIP parts (chassis, top decks, fuel tanks, and bumpers - a LOT!). It cost $470 to ship out! :shock: They were still dirty then and I was lazy to clean them. Even if I got them cleaned up really, I didn't have the space at the time. Now I got a new place. :roll: I have space now! :x The Delta stuff that gets sold on ebay doesn't help the agony either.. Roughly, I'd have gotten easy 4x what I sold them for. But it's the rarity of them now that makes me want them back. A couple months ago, I got an email from the buyer (Assocista) that he had passed them along to another Japanese collector. :cry:

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i regret selling off my entire collection back in 99.

houge graphite rc10 w/ trailing arms and rpm worlds front end
my dads bbt sprint car w/mip gearbox (which i found 12 years later and bought back)
2 early jrx2's
jrxt
xx
edm rc10 w/jg lowering kit
optima mid
2 blackfoot's (or would you say blackfeet? lol)
grasshopper
tekin reflex
tekin linear
power supply
a bunch of novak esc's, t4's, t1's, t1x's
motor dresser
soldering station
tons of motors
tons of parts
that big old plano black box, 777?
a few duratrax hauler bags