Girls...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Girls...

Post by Jay Dub »

So I found may self in a very interesting and introspective position over the last few nights. My daughter's birthday is coming up (she will be six on the 12th), and she asked me for an RC car. Quite surprised I told her she could have one, but she would have to help clean and re-build it. So I pulled an old six gear out of "storage", and proceeded to dismantle it. I sent her to the sink where she scrubbed and dried the parts. We discussed how she wanted the body to look (princesses, puppies, and flames -wtf?) and I began the re-assembly. I thought when I had daughters (no sons) this would never come up. It was interesting watching her tinker, clean, and wrench. It made me wonder if this is how my father looked at me when I was her age in the garage (it was airplanes then however). It makes me feel proud... but old :roll: . I will post pics of her creation later. Gotta go, my 4 year old just asked for one too. -Jeff

RichieRich
Approved Member

Re: Girls...

Post by RichieRich »

Hey Jeff. So, I have two girls. 3 and 5. I can't tell you how many times I've left cars out only to find them filled with Polly Pockets the next day. My 5 year old loves to use the little Tamiya wrench to unbolt all the wheels. I fear soon they'll be asking for a car of their own. LOL! I just hope they enjoy it not just because Dad does.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

My daughter is 6 and we have been building kits together since she was 3. She gets the parts ready for each step by matching the hardware up with the pictures and finding the parts on the trees. She is now an expert at using flush cutters to properly trim parts, and knows how to properly handle an x-acto knife for opening bags.

I have a ton of different colors of parma fascolor. This paint is great stuff for kids, no fumes, easily washes off skin. I let them hand paint with brushes for 1 or 2 coats/colors then hit it with a hair dryer for a couple minutes between colors to keep them from bleeding. When they are satisfied with the end result I use a spray gun to back it in white to fill in the empty space and bring out the full color of some of the transparent paints.

For christmas this year we got her a frog, and our 3yr old son a brat. This past weekend we finished building and had a 2 hour paint session.

The frog has flowers, each with its own stem and patch of dirt. On the roof(in the blue sky/clouds) are a pair of butterflies flying above the flowers.
Very interesting to see the progression of artistic talents compared to the 3 year old boy :lol:

ohh, and I couldn't help myself, had to slip a few CRP parts into their builds 8)
Attachments
kidscars2.jpg
kidscars4.jpg

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

I can feel how PROUD you guys are. Thanks JohnnySr.

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

My youngest of two girls Dalia will be 11 at this years vonats and has not stopped talking about it since september. I must say i never thought i would be working on rc cars with my girls but there both gun ho :D Dalia will be running classis this year.
Ryan

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

reign79 wrote:My youngest of two girls Dalia will be 11 at this years vonats and has not stopped talking about it since september. I must say i never thought i would be working on rc cars with my girls but there both gun ho :D Dalia will be running classis this year.

Reign, I saw her driving your car at the VONATS and she has some driving potential! She had the right idea, just not enough wheel time, I turn marshalled her car for about 5 or 10 minutes. She's a very good turn marshall too!

I can't wait until my daughter (2 1/2 years old now) wants to drive!
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

hey if Punky Brewster could have a frog, yours could have an RC10

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

My daughter has a Grasshopper, Frog, Slash and a Lunchbox kit. She's actually the reason I got back into r/c in 2006. She saw the Grasshopper and RC10 (and others) in a box at my folks' house and she asked what they were... so much to my wife's disappointment the gear all came to our house. We rebuilt the Grasshopper-- she was really interested in how the gearbox and especially the diff worked. Both of them have rebuilt their Grasshoppers a couple times now. The time spent with them working on the cars and just talking about anything is really special.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff