I was there! "I think"..............

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

littlescreamers
Approved Member

I was there! "I think"..............

Post by littlescreamers »

OK

My time line may be off a little but I will try my best to keep in check.

I was living in Dallas Ft area in 83-84 and was racing a frog at the local tracks. Then I seen the RC-10 for the first time. Had to have one! OK this is where the time line part come in. prior to this I was racing across the US and had just came from back east, I was racing in Mass at a track that was on a famous dirt bike track. memory is shot. Anyway I am at this little shop in Dallas and I am shelling out the cash for the new RC-10 and some new electronics. I bought a Kraft radio and I had a Novak ESC and a Novac Little charger that was the same size as the ESC I also had a Novak servo. So this guy at the little shop tells me that there is this guy up in Garland that just won the ROAR Nationals in CA with this car and he has a little shop and maybe I should talk to him. OK So I make the trip and I end up leaving my new car and he builds it to the same specs as the car he ran that year in the Nationals. Even painted my body. The trick stuff I remember was he turned the battery tray and who knows what else. All said and done $1500 into this car before I even raced it for the first time. Well I spent the next 2 years crossing America and taking trophys from every race I entered. I was approached by a factory rep to race for them but I was to busy with the work I was doing and this was just for fun. I won so many times I started not taking the trophy's anymore. Gave it all up in like 88-89. So I trade off my car and that was that. or was it! OK

New time line.

1998 Roar Local race

I am married a this time and have a 10 year old son. He is bugging me as he knows I was a RC car racer, So I hunt him down a black pan worlds car, and I buy a new B car. we pratice for a few months at a track in Tacoma Wa (old Safeway store) and come to find out there is a ROAR race coming??? My son says your going to clean up right?? "What" I have not raced in over 10 years. He bugs me into going and I make him compete too. If i remember right there was like 300-400 people in the stock class. Well I fought my way through them all for a 9th A Main. Would have done even better but a tangle stopped that and I was playing catch up most of the race. I was very happy with that and so was my son.

Time line now!

I own a Brushless motor company and it is called Littlescreamers

We still have the sons car and I just bought a new gold pan to start playing with again.

Hope this was not boring.

Scott

littlescreamers
Approved Member

Re: I was there! "I think"..............

Southwick was the motorcross track that had the rc track we raced on.

Also I remember when the 4x4 mugan came out. man that thing was wicked and could corner like no other. I remember all the protesting and then they had to race against there own kind. I have to say that this was the bad drug years and I was using this as a way to stay away from them. I was working with a bunch of guys that all they did was party. My I spent my money on the car! We traveled a lot and I would just find the local shop and locate the track. Then I would practice all week and then show up Sat morning ready to go. Nobody ever knew who I was. Showed up raced won and never seen again. Move on to the next city.

Scott

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Cool stories, do you have a website for your motor company? and what do you do to your motors? I know it's harder with brushless motors now to get a good one, they're pretty even as it is. We have a local guy that does motors, he's a pretty big name in the onroad circles. He basically buys 20 motors, dyno's them and keeps the best 5 for himself and sells the rest with his label on them.

I was never a very good big race driver, my nerves always got to me. Now that I'm older my nerves still get to me, but I try to race as much as I can to kind of cancel that out. I'm planning on travelling to a few big races this year, so hopefully I can make a few good showings. I want to hit the ROAR offroad electric nat's and a few big regional races this year.

Anyway welcome to the Talk!
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

littlescreamers
Approved Member

Littlescreamers.com I design motors for planes helis and boats. I have been around since 2002. The only place to buy them was Hobby lobby for the last 5 years. But now I am partners with Sapacamerica. we are now converting the large turban EDF models with a 5" fan and we are pushing them to 10,000 watts. Speeds to 200mph.

Scott

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

are you the guy that sells the 'purple peril' for flight applications? the name littlescreamers sounds familiar. A few guys here at work build foamy airplanes, so I'm always on the rcgroups forums, and alot of guys use the purple peril. We tend to try and go super cheap, so we use alot of grayson stuff. pretty much due to the fact that we crash alot, we end up spending a bunch in repair costs....hahhahhah

good you have you here on rc10talk.

littlescreamers
Approved Member

Yep the PP was our 2nd motor. It was designed for josh Galvin to fly in the ETOC and he took 3rd that year with the PP.
Attachments
IMG_4171.jpg
IMG_4256.jpg
IMG_4285.jpg

Jay

Post by Jay »

Dude you guys make some sick motors! My buddy had one in his F-18, and it was... a "little screamer!"

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Scott-
Do you have any pictures of your old cars or the old tracks like Southwick?

Thanks

dirtdiver

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Scott, since you said your company does brushless motors I would guess you have a lot of expertise. Can you direct a new guy like me who has been out of the RC fold for many years to some info on brushless vs the motors I used in the 1980's in my RC10? Looking to get up to speed on what's changed and why.

Thanks

dsmith
Approved Member

Post by dsmith »

cool story...wasn't boring to me 8)