Need thoughts and ideas: RC10WC, sell or invest?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MaxH

Need thoughts and ideas: RC10WC, sell or invest?

Post by MaxH »

Hi,

I can start out saying that I am fairly new to RC, and that also whats made the situation im in. I kind of have no references. The story is that I bought a used RC10 Worlds Car twelve years ago, 1998, drove a couple of months, broke the gearbox, and since then it has been resting.

Some month ago I took it apart, cleaned, bought spare parts on ebay and learned the car, something I should have done twelve years ago when i bought it. Now it remains only to buy a server savior (the server horn thingie, whatever its called) and batteries. The batteries has made me come to a choice, but i dont really know what to do with this car. The problem is that I have batteries thats 12 years old and has to be must be replaced, and after some research I found that LiPo is the way to go. That makes some question in a chain reaction kind of way. My interest is to drive the car and partly tinkering with it (to ultimately drive). But i am not a collector, i like to drive primary.

Specs:
RC10 Worlds Car 6037
Electronic Speed Control: Tekin TSC 411-p2
Servo: HiTek standard HS-422 RCD Apollo 10
Receiver: HiTek HP 2RNB (27,195 MHz) Two Channel AMSingle Conversion Receiver 26,327
Engine: Kyosho Krypton Krystal 14t
Engine extra: T.Q. Motors 612
Radio: Sanwa SR-2P Turbo

I really do like the cars 'clean' design of the chassis with its settings possibilities. So a first question is whether it is worth investing in this car (to drive with it). With the "worth" I mean, apart from financially, that I dont want to be stuck in a few years, having a car with no way to get spare parts and no way to drive it. The option would then sell it and buy a B4 or similar. In that case, whats it worth selling it for?

However, if I choose to invest so I get other kinds of questions. To get LiPo,
1: Do I need to get a new speed controller? Might there be some kind of 'adapter' to connect which might be a good option?
2: Must / should I get a new engine? (does the stealth gearbox handle that pressure of the new power?) what could be a suitable engine to buy?

Of course I am curious what this stuff costs, novice that I am I do not know really what specs I should get on things, or what's cheap / expensive / stupid. 2S 40C for batteries perhaps?

I can tell you that besides from the steering (servo horn) it works great, I tested yesterday at home with old batteries that had enough for like two minutes :p

Btw, if anyone has tips on Swedish shops selling Team Associate-stuff that fits this car, I am very interested in the info!

Cheers
The swedish word for speed is 'fart'

RC10resto

Re: Need thoughts and ideas: RC10WC, sell or invest?

Post by RC10resto »

The option would then sell it and buy a B4 or similar. In that case, whats it worth selling it for?
Put it on ebay and buy a B4 with the money. If you want to run Lipo's you will need to upgrade just about everything.
Maybe you should buy an SC10 :?:

Pictures of your RC10 would help.

Just my 2 cents

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

what its worth have a look here.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=7465

as for the other questions you might need to replace the speed controller to run lipo but you will if you switch to brushless.

do you have to replace the motor = no.

will the stealth handle modern motors = yes.

MaxH

Post by MaxH »

Thanks for the link about price, though, i asked because i dont know if i'd get 40€ or 300€ out of it. Well, my question was more if WC's is nearly as 'classic' as the original gold tube, or just can be used as doorstop nowdays :)

I took some pics, link here (with some snow from Sweden).

Thanks for the thoughts and help, really appreciate it. I came to think that even if I could get ordinary Ni-Cd batteries, I will of course sit in the same position in three years, so they are not the issue itself, of course. So im thinking about doing as RC10resto said, buying new (b4?) for the money. Then ofc the door is open towards new things, like SC10 or.. something.

Again, thanks.

Edit: new url to the pics.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Hi MaxH.... welcome to the board :)

I think your biggest question is what do you want to do with your car? Do you want to run it for fun or do you want to race it..... if you intend to race it, would it be against modern buggies or is there a vintage class so that you can race your RC10 against other cars of a similar age.... find out what you local club run :wink:

Either way the least you'll need to buy to get your RC10 up & running is a battery & a charger to charge it. Your car currently has a pack made up from sub-C Nickle Cadnium cells, after all these years I presume that it doesn't work very well anymore? Basically there are two types of batteries available now;

Option 1, Nickle Metal Hydrides (Nimh) These look the same as the NiCads cells but have a different chemical make up - you will need to get a new charger to charge this type of battery but will be able to use your Tekin speed controller.

Option 2, Lithimer Polymer (LiPo) These batteries generally come in a hard plastic case (the actual cell/s are inside) But are just a bit bigger in overall size as a built pack of Nimh or the old old NiCad batteries & will fit into an RC10 if the front battery carrier is moved. The problem with this route is that you'll not only need a new charger but also a new speed controller - that will switch off automatically when the battery voltage gets too low - LiPo batteries should always be maintained with a minimum voltage. LiPo batteries however are the 'new thing' & are alot lighter & apart from the risk of combustion (from over or under-charged) are more durable to quick-charging.

It would however be a shame to use your Worlds Car as a 'fun car' especially one as nice as what yours appears in your pictures, these last of the line ali tub chassis cars are desirable to the RC10 enthusiast, so if you did just want a fun vehicle you might be able to sell your car & the proceeds would go a long way to cover the cost of something new :wink:

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Unless your car is in pristine shape, you probably won't get on ebay what you think it's worth. your best bet is to buy some new batteries and run it as it is. Then save up some cash and buy a B4

metallicats33
Approved Member

Post by metallicats33 »

Well if you do run it, A brushless setup and 2s LIpo should work out just fine. I've run a Traxxas VXL and a Mamba Max 5700Kv in mine with no problems. Just make sure your Idler gear is the new white delrin one, The old black one will get chewed up under heavy breaking... at least they all have for me :?

Here is a vid of my Graphite when it had the Mamba 5700Kv and a 28c 2s Lipo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6-aUI9Al8

MaxH

Post by MaxH »

Hello again, and really thanks for your replies.

I am not a collector but a driver and, like you said, it would feel bad thingie to use this car for 'fun driving', and maybe some local races (they are actually building a 1:10 outdoor track close from where i live). The RC10 WC i got will go for sale soon. Im not the person to keep it since other may enjoy it more. What i'll get for it we'll see, im not in a hurry to sell it, but ofc it would be nice to get rid of it. Some have already PM'ed me, i can say... =)

For myself ive decided to get a B4 RTR RS (or maybe a SC10, i like the looks of it). With that i'll get a fresh start with new batteries, speed controller etc, and if im really hooked i'll upgrade it later.

Your replies, together with some googling about stuff, really helped me decide, i really appreciate it.