Can Lipo batteries freeze?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

suby56
Approved Member

Can Lipo batteries freeze?

Post by suby56 »

I am trying to move into the 21st century and thinking of trying Lipo batteries, but I am scared of them. If these things start on fire, I would be in deep trouble.
I have read abit but seem to have conflicting info if they can freeze. Does anyone know if it damages them if they freeze? I am thinking about storing them in the garage during the winter.

Clay

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Re: Can Lipo batteries freeze?

Post by tim.sanderson »

It's best if you keep them from freezing solid, but cold storage should be fine for your lipos.
Most lipo fires happen during charging, and won't happen when at rest. It's also rare to happen while using them in your car etc. Storing them indoors is fine, but if you'd like a little more peace of mind, store them in a lipo sack. (at recommended right voltage/charge capacity) I've also heard something like an ammunition box works well too.

Here's a lipo storage pdf I came across tonight. It's for plane batteries, but it also applies to car batteries: http://uterc.org/files/LipoStorageTips.pdf

Basically, treat you batteries right, don't short them out or charge incorrectly, and you should be safe. :D

suby56
Approved Member

Post by suby56 »

Oh, that is a good article. Well, i am not sure at what temp they freeze solid, but my garage in the winter is darn cold, so they would probably freeze.
Thanks for the article.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

well i can tell you that it's been really cold at my house and my lipo's live in a non heated garage.
i have been using them alot in the snow with my new clod build and they have been fine.

muck
Approved Member

Post by muck »

sub , i think below 40 storage is too cold for them.

fatboysracing

Post by fatboysracing »

don't get too scared with the fire thing either, i've had one in my pocket, laid down on it, it shorted, and you can still use it today, it even balances perfectly( i don't recommend this activity, it WAS an accident). as long as you keep them balanced, and store them at 50% capacity, they work just fine. the side effect from storing them fully charged is, when you do use them next time, they most probably will swell, happened to a hardcase high mah. battery i have, but again, still charges balancing perfectly , and still works like a champ...

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

fatboysracing wrote: the side effect from storing them fully charged is, when you do use them next time, they most probably will swell, happened to a hardcase high mah.
is this from personal experience, or is their an article out there about this? I have 2 high mah batteries swell badly on me, i always store my batteries @ full tilt. My orions are going on 3 years old with no ill effects, but I have a newer Reedy that wobbles a little on a flat table.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Konich
Approved Member

Post by Konich »

Lipo's need to be stored in a climate controled environment. If you put them in a cold garage just toss them in the garbage instead as you'll be buying new ones anyway. You WILL riun them. Lipos need to be stored around 7.4 not 50%, in order to keep them working properly. You can confirm this by going to maxamps, etc. and looking at how manufacturer's recommend storing them, not 50% not fully charge either.

I've done this for over 3 years with no swelling or diminish in performance. Charge, balance, store at the proper voltage and you'll be good.

fatboysracing

Post by fatboysracing »

is this from personal experience, or is their an article out there about this? I have 2 high mah batteries swell badly on me, i always store my batteries @ full tilt. My orions are going on 3 years old with no ill effects, but I have a newer Reedy that wobbles a little on a flat table.[/quote]

yes, and yes, several of the magazines and websites say not to store them fully charged,( the percentage my vary, but close to the standard voltage per cell is a good idea) and definately not discharged.

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

My only question is how do these batteries get to the hobby shop? They sit in containers and UPS trucks freezing in transit, but as soon as you buy them they become sensitive to cold?

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

AscotConversion wrote:My only question is how do these batteries get to the hobby shop? They sit in containers and UPS trucks freezing in transit, but as soon as you buy them they become sensitive to cold?
it's been cold as hell in my garage and my lipo's have been fine. granted i've been using them atleast once a week lately(outside in the snow), but i have seen no signs of puffing or weakness.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

AscotConversion wrote:My only question is how do these batteries get to the hobby shop? They sit in containers and UPS trucks freezing in transit, but as soon as you buy them they become sensitive to cold?
Maybe because they're new and haven't had any juice put through them yet.