Another Early Edinger RC10 saved!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Another Early Edinger RC10 saved!

Post by Ruffy »

While racing one day at our local indoor track, we had a gentleman come up to me (since I was running my gold tub RC10), and asked me if I would be interested in buying any of his old RC10 cars and trucks. I told him I am interested but would have to look at them. He then said he would return another day with his stock of old racers. A month or more went by and he suddenly came in to the track and came over to my table once more while racing my gold tub racer, so we went out to his truck and he had most all of his stuff in large plastic bins.
I went thru his stuff with another member here that races with us, and at first only saw parts I wanted, some brand new in package and others in very good condition, mainly stuff for restorations, not later RC10 parts that I use for racing. As we went thru his trucks and cars he had one RC car in particular that was a mismatch of gold tub with black nose and black motor plate truck conversion, with a JG mfg truck tower kit, axles, etc... I noticed almost instantly that the chassis was a very light gold RC10 tub, so I pulled the truck to me and looked under the body to see that it had the early edinger rear shocks on it, easily noticing the bottom spring cups on the rear shocks. The front shocks on this truck conversion were losi I think. So I kept hunting through all of his stuff to see if he had the complete car since he said he never got rid of anything, but it seemed he mixed and matched parts over the many years he had them.
So as I kept hunting I found the early front .56 light gold shocks and shock parts with notched pistons front and rear, early front cups and as I indicated already the very early edinger lower rear spring cups. I then found the front early light gold noseplate and the light gold motorplate on two other cars/trucks he had built that were slightly dismantled. I kept hunting and found amost everything from the original early edinger buggy except for one of the battery cups. As I took inventory I told them that I would have to take 3 trucks home to remove all the parts needed to complete the single early edinger car, but that I only wanted to buy those parts, so another guy bought the rest of the parts and I paid 30.00 for a large container full of bits, parts and took the 3 trucks home to take them apart to scavenge all the original parts back for the early edinger.
Needles to say this took a long time and a lot of effort, turning into approx. a 2 month daily project cleaning, but it has paid off big time for me as I now have what I believe to be the second oldest RC10 that I own currently. The oldest being my "Curtis Edinger" and now this one that I have yet to name. I have yet to see if the NIB unassembled Early Edinger I have is older as I haven't had the time to go thru it yet as I reported earlier in another thread when I purchased it.
This Early Edinger RC10 has all the earliest features found on my "Curtis Edinger", but has an A stamp on the chassis, stamped from the bottom-up (instead of top down). It came with the same dual servo saver parts, a mismatch of the earliest round stem ballcups and the 2nd gen round with the small hex built in near the cup. Square notched pistons, earliest rear lower spring cups, early towers, dual e-clip transmission mounts, early small shock seals, etc... It even came with the blue label Edinger stock motor; But everything cleaned up nicely!

So here you have my second earliest Edinger RC10 saved from becoming either scrap metal or sombody else's racer or beater car. Took a lot of time and effort, but she is finally together.
I'm going to outfit her with a second Magnum Sr. 3 channel radio I have, and early futaba equipment all true to that timeframe.
I also have a set of the diamond wing buttons for her once I purchase a small wing, but I already have a body for her that I will paint a replica of one of Curtis' early paint schemes onto.

Here are a few pictures taken tonight alongside my Early Curtis Edinger, but she is still not 100% finished, so I will post another update once she gets finished. I wish I would have taken photos along the way so you all could have seen what a disaster this was to start off with, but I honestly did not think she was going to be able to be recovered and restored, until I was more than half-way through her.
I'm also posting some pics of my other latest project, a second RC10 gold tub racer for the stock class (notice the Tekin RS ESC), so now I have a gold tub RC10 racer buggy for stock and for mod!

My earliest Curtis Edinger RC10 on the right, saved early edinger on the left.
RR001.JPG
RR002.JPG
RR003.JPG

My other project: A second gold tub RC10 racer. For those of you looking for "mods" I myself am not a big follower of modded RC10's and have always preferred to run them in a nearly stock state, even while racing for Associated Electrics/Reedy.
Here are pictures of it next to my other RC10 racer with the body on it. I'm in the process of painting two new same bodies with the same scheme. One for this latest car and one as a backup. I outfitted the second car with a KO 1003 FET servo, LRP 27Mhz receiver, Tekin RS ESC and Epic 17.5 brushless motor.
The modified class racer has an Airtronics 94151 servo, LRP 27Mhz receiver, LRP SXX TC ESC and 8.5 LRP brushless motor. Both cars are ran using Thunderpower 5300 65C 2S Lipo's for motivation, and Airtronics CS2P 27Mhz radios.
RR004.JPG
RR005.JPG
RR006.JPG

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Another Early Edinger RC10 saved!

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Nice save 8) I have some new early rear shock bodies to replace those rears beat up ones 8)
if you feel the need :wink:

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

:shock: Very nice save Ruffy, It is awesome when you encounter an unexpected situation like this and you become a little kid again. :D

I am also loving the second gold racer and the hard plastic wings...

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

it's great that your getting these old car's! someone who know's so much and really appreciate's for all that they are. awesome ruff!

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Thanks everyone!
This project almost did not get completed due to the immense amount of effort required to get all the parts cleaned, have the chassis and noseplate straightened out slowly over a few visits to work and with the help of two of our assembly people and two machinists we got her back straight without adding a single scratch or twist in the aluminum. That in itself was extremely hard, but their patience worked. And everything else that went into retrieving all the original early edinger parts that belonged to this car from 3 different cars and boxes of mismatched parts.
This car will be outfitted with an early edinger stock speed control as well to make her complete. I still have an early protech body with the wavy window net from my early racing years, and was holding onto it for sentimental reasons but now I think I know she needs to go on this car.

Also, Thank-you Reggie so much for your offer to help with those beat up rear shock bodies! I am very interested as the fronts are like new but the rears show the wear from countless truck conversions. I have contacted you via PM regarding those.
Thank-you once more.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I would be remiss if I did not mention that I am looking for an early clear hard diff. cover for this car as it came with none. The one I am looking for is like the one found on the earliest of edingers, and has the raised areas for the motor screws on it.
If you happen to have an extra one or know of one I can purchase please let me know through this forum, PM or email.
I would honestly truly appreciate it!

Here is a picture of the hard clear diff cover I refer to. This is a picture of the one from my Curtis Edinger.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

This is such an excellent forum, and has such an amazing and friendly member base that I just wanted the membership to know that this is THE best resource of RC10 history and images I have ever found!
It is truly amazing the things you can learn here with just a bit of reading and searching.
:D