How important is a fireporrf bag for LiPo Charging?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

soniccj5
Approved Member

How important is a fireporrf bag for LiPo Charging?

Post by soniccj5 »

I just ordered a LiPo battery and neglected to purchase a fireproof bag. Should I get a back before charging the battery?

Thanks,

ED

jwscab

Re: How important is a fireporrf bag for LiPo Charging?

Post by jwscab »

you don't NEED one, but it's a good safety item.

I have an old ammo box I store lipo batteries in. I usually charge on a concrete floor.

lpddpd
Approved Member

Post by lpddpd »

You don't need it until you need it. :| If you have a safe alternative then fine. I would get one just for peace of mind.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

like stated above. Its not needed until its needed. As long as you use the battery charger and battery like it is intended according to direction then you'll pry never need it. I store my lipos in a cardboard box inside my house near flammables. While I don't recommend this I have been doing so without any issues for a couple years now. I also charge at recommended rates and never leave the charger unattended.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

klavy69 wrote: I also charge 2X the Mah rating and always leave the charger unattended.
Todd

Cool! Me too 8) ,

I have never, ever, ever seen a "lipo failure" except when that voltage went over threshold of close to 9v on purpose for that extra "edge" on the track. I charge 4500's a 9 amps and keep the cell temp around 95 f before a run-

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Thanks for the info. I think I will invest in some cheap fire insurance :D

I hope this will bring my brushless system to life. It is not bad with my NiMH, but I am sure it has a lot more to give.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
klavy69 wrote: I also charge 2X the Mah rating and always leave the charger unattended.
Todd

Cool! Me too 8) ,

I have never, ever, ever seen a "lipo failure" except when that voltage went over threshold of close to 9v on purpose for that extra "edge" on the track. I charge 4500's a 9 amps and keep the cell temp around 95 f before a run-
:shock: I'm glad someone understands me :lol:

These will definitely bring your brushless to life. I had lipo first and it really pepped up my brushed stuff.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Charlie don't surf wrote: I have never, ever, ever seen a "lipo failure" except when that voltage went over threshold of close to 9v on purpose for that extra "edge" on the track.
I have. A friend of mine was charging a 3s lipo in one of his Spektrum DX2 radios when it went on him. The charger malfunctioned, and didn't stop once the voltage reached 11.1. It swelled up so big/so fast that we heard the radio crack open. He tried to pop it out onto the concrete floor before it burned, but it didn't get out in time. It was still in the radio for about 1 second while it burned... destroyed/melted the radio, burned the table it bounced off on the way to the floor, and even damaged the finish on the floor.

I was charging a 2400mah lipo in an F1 car last summer. (Which is a very bad habit btw. It's a good way to write off your car if your battery vents) Again, I heard a crack come from the car from the battery swelling, but i managed to get it out of the car and discharged before it burned. It took some work to get it out of the car due to swelling. When I finally got it out, it instantly grew to about 3 times it original thickness. I had an old 19t motor in my hauler bag, so I stuffed the leads into the bullet connector holes in the battery, and totally discharged it.

That was totally due to me though. Like Charlie mentioned, I was hitting the battery up to a little more than 9v. I only did that a few times, what initial speed advantage that gives you at the start of the race isn't worth the damage it does to your battery!

Here's one we burned on purpose: (it was a bad battery... it didn't hold the correct voltage anymore)
[youtube]Lcqr5mJ825A[/youtube]
We had to charge it at 10 amps in nimh mode for a long time to get it to do it.

*EDIT* here's another one:

[youtube]f4OHjCFaufQ[/youtube]