Just got a Caslte Sidewinder v2 5700kv for my B3!

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Just got a Caslte Sidewinder v2 5700kv for my B3!

Post by Rootdown4594 »

oh my god. i had no idea...

my previous experience with electrics has been nothing hotter than 19 turn spec brushed motors.

after installing and running the initial setup i jabbed the throttle and one of my tires literally ballooned right off. had to be reglued. that made me very excited. set it down on the pavement and jabbed the throttle again. instantly flipped right over onto its back. slipper clutch made no difference whatsoever. ok... so i thought to take it easy with dead start full throttle launches. so now i'm just tooling around casually getting a feel for the power. not really giving it all. i'd say im at about half throttle. i give it a bit more gas and it lurches straight up! it pulled a wheelie at half/speed throttle! i've never seen so much power before! so now it's slidding down the road on it's back a good 20 feet. i go retrieve it and i noticed my rear shock tower is now ground all the way down to where my shocks attach. great.... already one more part added to the parts list after only a minute or two.

my how has technology changed. went from an old novak fusion and stock motor to this castle setup and im completely out of control.

i just ordered a new shock tower and a b4 slipper assembly. if i run the stock slipper any loser the nut just backs off. went throught the castle esc settings and tried to tame it by lowering the acceleration and timing. lets see if i can handle it now. won't be able to test till tomorrow maybe.

btw... running with a 4000mah 30c lipo, 17t pinion, 81t spur on dirt hawg tires on pavement mostly.

i also have a factory team GT with an OS .18cvr. which i thought was overkill. this castle setup completly blows it away.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Just got a Caslte Sidewinder v2 5700kv for my B3!

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

haha nearly the same setup and nearly the same results!

i need to figure out how to make some shock tower guards.

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

well after setting the throttle punch to the lowest setting and lowering the timing to the lowest setting i've tamed it a bit. also moved the battery pack as far foward as possible and went down on the gearing a bit but it still pulls wheelies at 3/4 throttle. the throttle punch setting seems to only effect punch at the lowest part of the power range. is there a way to adjust the punch througout the throttle range? do i need the castle link for that and do it on a PC?

and the slipper seems to not really slip as much as i would like it to. i've switched to the newer blue sipper pads and they seem to be a bit tackier. maybe i'll go back to the older tan pad and seem if that makes a difference.

i also need some sort of guard around the endbell of the motor(is it still called an endbell????). it's already got some gouges on it.

i don't know if this is a trait of a brushless setup but at very low rpm's it's very jittery and jerky. it doesn't crawl nearly as smoothly as my brushed setups have. i went with the sensored setup because i heard they were smoother. is this just how these setups opperate?

Kayne
Approved Member

Post by Kayne »

[quote="Rootdown4594")

i don't know if this is a trait of a brushless setup but at very low rpm's it's very jittery and jerky. it doesn't crawl nearly as smoothly as my brushed setups have. i went with the sensored setup because i heard they were smoother. is this just how these setups opperate?[/quote]

If is uncensored it will be jerky because the throttle acts like an on/off switch. Don't waste your money on a castle link if the esc has a usb port just go to you're local computer store or radio shack and get a usb cable they are like 5 to 10 bux max. Download the castle software and plug it in. That's what I did with a mama max and it made a world of difference with take off and top end. Good luck.
Matt

Drive It Like You Stole It!

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

i don't think the sidewinders have a built in USB port. atleast i don't see one anywhere.

how much more in depth can you adjust settings with the computer software? would i be able to adjust the high end punch rather than just the low end punch?

Kayne
Approved Member

Post by Kayne »

You pretty much can adjust everything. I dialed the throttle down so at full pull of the trigger I was at 70%. Much easier to handle. Yeah if there is no usb castle link is the only option. I think they around 30 bux. When I ran the mamba without adjusting the throttle it was like my b4 had turbo lag. Slow off the line then it kicked in. All of that is totally adjustable.
Matt

Kayne
Approved Member

Post by Kayne »

You pretty much can adjust everything. I dialed the throttle down so at full pull of the trigger I was at 70%. Much easier to handle. Yeah if there is no usb castle link is the only option. I think they around 30 bux. When I ran the mamba without adjusting the throttle it was like my b4 had turbo lag. Slow off the line then it kicked in. All of that is totally adjustable.
Matt

Kayne
Approved Member

Post by Kayne »

Sorry for the double post. I'm doing this from my phone. Checked back in on my browser the post page was up and I hit submit. What an idiot. :lol:
Matt

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I have a 10.5 BL in my RC-10 and I agree, motors have come a long way. The speed is amazing, and on carpet, it will wheelie every time, but I found on the track, it is much better.

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

second time out with the b3 and now i have some problems.

when i plug the battery before i turn it on all the leds on the esc blink rapidly and rondomly. when i do turn it on they stop blinking and the car has difficulty moving. it cogs at low revs and doesn't seem to have the same amount of power/speed as it did before. i tried running the stetup again and now the esc doesn't make any setup beeps/tones.

what gives!

it was a tiny bit damp outside. maybe it got wet?

i've tried using different batteries.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Try recalibrating the ESC. Make sure the car is turned on last as well.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Rootdown4594 wrote:i don't know if this is a trait of a brushless setup but at very low rpm's it's very jittery and jerky. it doesn't crawl nearly as smoothly as my brushed setups have. i went with the sensored setup because i heard they were smoother. is this just how these setups opperate?
My sidewinder acts similarly in a 10lss with an old am futaba magnum just about any time you start from a stop.

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Rootdown4594 wrote:http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/526539-castle-sidewinder-sv2-1406-neu-4-pole-4600kv.html

that link has some interesting information on the cogging problem
I had the same problems as described in the link. Any luck with yours? What gear ratio were you running before the problems?