downgraded US bond s

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fakiee
Approved Member

Re: downgraded US bond s

Post by fakiee »

This is a post about the economy not guns!

I've always considered my Vintage RC cars as an Asset, an investment - which they are. However when I had to leave my home last night due to the London Riots I was wishing I had bought more gold coins rather than desirable vintage RC, RC cars are a PITA to shift!!

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

nvxwax wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote:Who exactly are you planning to shoot, your neighbor? Are you going to hold up your neighbor for a can of soup? Or shoot him when he knocks on your door to see if you have some for him? When the stuff really hits the fan, you're gonna need all the friends you can find. What is a gun going to do for you? I'm really curious about this mentality.

I hope you're talking about hunting animals. If you really think things are gonna get that rough, I'd recommend investing in a good fishing reel and bait over ammunition. People weren't shooting each other in the great depression. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome was a good movie, but it was fiction.
+1

I too am curious. That is curious as to what the 'mentality' is to read into a few simple statements, translating those into shooting your neighbor? I do agree however, that Madmax was a fictional movie.

Oh yes, the economy!: http://news.yahoo.com/why-congress-standard-poors-deserve-other-092005860.html
So ridiculous how the people we as a country put into office keep on giving us the pork sword...

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

askbob wrote:

I too am curious. That is curious as to what the 'mentality' is to read into a few simple statements, translating those into shooting your neighbor? I do agree however, that Madmax was a fictional movie.

Oh yes, the economy!: http://news.yahoo.com/why-congress-standard-poors-deserve-other-092005860.html
So ridiculous how the people we as a country put into office keep on giving us the pork sword...
How did you come up with the -2? Are there two people using the askbob account?

The mentality I speak of is this:
askbob wrote:I'm glad though to be well armed!
^^^That's what I'm curious about. I thought mine was a pretty straight forward line of thought. I guess I didn't spell it out plainly enough, so I will now ask bob. What are you planning to do with your well armed self? You brought it up. You're glad you're well armed. Great. Now tell us why your glad to be well armed. Who/what are you going to use your weapons on?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Seeing some of Scotts artwork, I know what he does with his! 8)

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Post by Toasted Coastie »

askbob wrote:
nvxwax wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote:Who exactly are you planning to shoot, your neighbor? Are you going to hold up your neighbor for a can of soup? Or shoot him when he knocks on your door to see if you have some for him? When the stuff really hits the fan, you're gonna need all the friends you can find. What is a gun going to do for you? I'm really curious about this mentality.

I hope you're talking about hunting animals. If you really think things are gonna get that rough, I'd recommend investing in a good fishing reel and bait over ammunition. People weren't shooting each other in the great depression. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome was a good movie, but it was fiction.
+1

I believe I copyrighted the phrase "Pork Sword" on this site. You owe me a nickle.....

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
askbob wrote:

How did you come up with the -2? Are there two people using the askbob account?

The mentality I speak of is this:
askbob wrote:I'm glad though to be well armed!
^^^That's what I'm curious about. I thought mine was a pretty straight forward line of thought. I guess I didn't spell it out plainly enough, so I will now ask bob. What are you planning to do with your well armed self? You brought it up. You're glad you're well armed. Great. Now tell us why your glad to be well armed. Who/what are you going to use your weapons on?

No problem. Since you are curious to ask bob, I don't mind to share.

One persons opinion PLUS another equals 2? No? Minus 2 should be obviously sarcastic, but I digress...

I don't recall bringing anything up, or did I express the need to explain myself. A simple statement is just that, SIMPLE. My statement is regarding being personally protected against things like what is going on in the UK right now. The degenerates doing the damage there just might think twice about destroying someones livelyhood if they knew the owner might have something to say about that. My only plans with my guns and ammo are to use only in dire situations. To be clear, dire situations would be to protect from harm my family, and to game hunt for food. The neighbor does NOT count for food!(sarcasm again) Sport shooting was the reason I bought guns in the first place. A lot of fun, but hard to do much these days due to the high price of ammo.

I would like to know why when someone makes a simple statement about being armed, MelvinsArmy, that your first train of thought is to ask who am I going to shoot? Especially my neighbor when they knock at the door!? Why would having any a gun or guns not allow you to have friends in a dire situation? I am a bit curious myself about that 'mentality'. I'd be the first guy on my block to share a can of soup with any neighbor, and they all know that. Heck, we'd probably all go fishing too! How long would it be before urban areas ran out of cans of soup and such? What then?

Who's to say whether or not things would ever get that bad? I certainly hope not, nor do I think it ever will. I tend to believe that people are mostly good by nature, but somedays I have to wonder.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Thanks Bob, I understand where you're coming from. Seeing the quick replies about being happy to be armed and have guns in a thread about the sorry state of our country really didn't read that well to me. Mentioning that you're glad your armed and have guns without saying anything about any real practical solutions made me assume the worst. Of course we all know what they say about assumptions.

On a side, I do like shooting guns myself. I don't own any, but several friends do and they let me shoot them from time to time.

One more thing to bring up if I may. (not with you Bob) That Hitler thing. Why do people always feel the need to bring up Hitler or the word Nazi when they disagree with someone? I bet you could find a lot more quotes about laying down your arms from Gandi or Jesus Christ.

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Fair enough askbob, I pretty much read into your statement what Melvinsarmy did. Your mentality towards the potentially life-changing situation is not as common as to be hoped for. I hope it won't come to that being an issue.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

askbob wrote: I do agree however, that Madmax was a fictional movie.
Pick the person who's never been to Australia......

:shock: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

After going through three hurricanes in FL a few years ago,And After being warned to gas up buy water food flashlights people were still shooting each other for the right to keep there place in the gas line .And water was going for $5 a gallon soon after the dust settled
,genrally i think people are good but All bets are off if there hungry, thirsty, or need gas to go to the mall .

Paul

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

The two disasters I've been through people acted very civil. The first was 9/11, everybody was very neighborly and helpful that day and the days that followed, the second was 2 or 3 years later when NYC had a total blackout. Everybody was totally chill, no looting or spike in crime. People seemed to be mostly disappointed that their ice cream melted. Some of us made sure our beer didn't go to waste. :lol:

Both times, hardened New Yorkers known for being "rude" to each other and whoever is around, acted like saints. As tragic, horrible and uncomfortable as those things were, the way people treated one another is one of the things I remember best. Sometimes it takes the stuff hitting the fan to bring out the best in people.