Airtronics CX2P 2.4 conversion?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Airtronics CX2P 2.4 conversion?

Post by sbcnyc »

does anyone have any info if you can change older fm module based radios into 2.4

i read about the old futaba ppm's being converted, is there anything im missing, seems to be a module swap and your good?

i have a few digital fm lcd radios and i hate using the menus, i love my cx2p, just simple, analog dials, model memory consists of swapping the crystal into what im gonna run..has all the endpoint, speed, feel settings you could want... ahhhhh good ol days... i just want the range, no need to frequency check, and the use of digital servos (whole other question, but do you need a digital radio to run them or just the receiver?)

and to clarify this is a CX not S, there the low rung of the old fm's... think the high end, cant remember the models exact number (3PS, 3CX, 3CP???) was the first lcd radio i remember...

JK Racing

Re: Airtronics CX2P 2.4 conversion?

Post by JK Racing »

I have wondered the same thing...maybe try the spektrum module for the M8/M11 in one and see? know someone you can borrow it from for a try?
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

camlchris
Approved Member

Post by camlchris »

Try this "corona" diy 2.4 module. This is really a good stuff with good price/performance ratio.

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

JK Racing wrote:I have wondered the same thing...maybe try the spektrum module for the M8/M11 in one and see? know someone you can borrow it from for a try?
unfortunately, the few r/c buddies i have are the rtr crowd, so no super radios available to give it a try
camlchris wrote:Try this "corona" diy 2.4 module. This is really a good stuff with good price/performance ratio.
a few things about the corona ive read makes it seem troublesome, binding issues and wiring headaches... dont want to spend money on something thats iffy at best when the fm works well, ive seen 2.4 modules that are shaped the same as the airtronics, with very similar pinouts, just wanna know if its a drop in... i cant stand the time it takes to change trim settings with newer radios....

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

if I find a CS or CX 2P, I will try my spektrum module out of my M8...
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

CS2P and M8 modules do not interchange, the CS2P has male pins on the module, the M8 is female, plus they are different sizes. I don't have a CL3PS anymore, but I recall it was a different size too. XL2P does not have a removable module... No drop in 2.4 that I can see. Still, these days why not just run crystals...nobody else does. 8)

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

templeofspeed wrote:CS2P and M8 modules do not interchange, the CS2P has male pins on the module, the M8 is female, plus they are different sizes. I don't have a CL3PS anymore, but I recall it was a different size too. XL2P does not have a removable module... No drop in 2.4 that I can see. Still, these days why not just run crystals...nobody else does. 8)
just to correct... i have a CX, but your right, just pulled the module and it has the connection pins on it (male)...but, if the pinouts are the same on the modules, id be happy to jury rig it into my radio

been using crystals! but i want better range, guess i should just pony up for an rtr pull...ugh, fm stuff was so expensive, and fm receivers still are! wah wah wah

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

sbcnyc wrote:
templeofspeed wrote:CS2P and M8 modules do not interchange, the CS2P has male pins on the module, the M8 is female, plus they are different sizes. I don't have a CL3PS anymore, but I recall it was a different size too. XL2P does not have a removable module... No drop in 2.4 that I can see. Still, these days why not just run crystals...nobody else does. 8)
just to correct... i have a CX, but your right, just pulled the module and it has the connection pins on it (male)...but, if the pinouts are the same on the modules, id be happy to jury rig it into my radio

been using crystals! but i want better range, guess i should just pony up for an rtr pull...ugh, fm stuff was so expensive, and fm receivers still are! wah wah wah
FM gets you plenty enough of range! way mrethan your eyes can see...

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

its funny, being my eyes arent what they used to be, i shouldnt be too concerned but it seems like i dont get as much as i used to, who knows what bands the fcc has taken over, but my signal seems less than the good ol 1/4 mile it used to be, not that i could ever see that far but it was nice for piece of mind...

good batteries in the transmitter, 6 volt pack in the gas truck... antenna is high and proud, some times i feel i loose a bit of signal at maybe 1000 ft.... i guess that could be a whole other thread...