Cougar Nitro 10

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Richieflax
Approved Member

Cougar Nitro 10

Post by Richieflax »

Does anybody know what model this is and where I could get a manual?
I believe its a Nitro 10 but which one??
Thanks in advance.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: Cougar Nitro 10

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Richieflax,

That will be a Schumacher Nitro 10 all right.... I would put my money on it being a mk.1, judging by the carby, although the chassis plate *could* be a Nitro 21XT, depending on whether it is painted black or anodised black (anodised is 21XT), and whether the chassis weighs a tonne or not (heavy is the 21XT!).

Nitro 10s are sort of my "thing"..... so happy to help. I can e-mail you a manual no problems, just PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it through.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Richieflax
Approved Member

Post by Richieflax »

Incredible_Serious, I have sent you a pm.

I think the chassis is painted by the way it has bubbled but can't be sure until it arrives

PerKr
Approved Member

Post by PerKr »

the pictures suggest a painted chassies. An anodized might wear but this looks like bubbled, cracked and locally worn paint. Either way, congrats on getting one :-)

On a side note, this is the first time I've noticed a rather obvious difference in the tub flange between the nitro10 chassis and the EP chassis.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

PerKr wrote:the pictures suggest a painted chassies. An anodized might wear but this looks like bubbled, cracked and locally worn paint. Either way, congrats on getting one :-)
It's interesting.... the top looks like the paint is bubbling, but the picture I saw of the bottom shows a wear pattern as if wearing through anodising. However, I looked at the chassis engine mounting holes compared to the Nitro 21 XT chassis, and I have to agree, it's a Nitro 10 chassis painted black.
PerKr wrote:On a side note, this is the first time I've noticed a rather obvious difference in the tub flange between the nitro10 chassis and the EP chassis.
Much easier to see with one of each chassis in each hand.... I guess they decided the nitro tub needed the extra strengthening...

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

i found a yellow powdercoated Schuey chassis at a shop once and picked it up- just about threw out my back! I have never seen a chassis so heavy before.

Thats all, I just had to get that out there. Its probably still sitting there where I left it!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

gomachv wrote:i found a yellow powdercoated Schuey chassis at a shop once and picked it up- just about threw out my back! I have never seen a chassis so heavy before.

Thats all, I just had to get that out there. Its probably still sitting there where I left it!
The yellow one is the XTR chassis, which is the same steel chassis as the black 21XT unit, but painted shiny happy yellow. They do weigh a bit.... try getting one posted from overseas!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I does looks like a MK1 Nitro10 (road & track version) to me - slanted Irvine .15 engine, 2" four spoke wheels, pull start (broken as usual :mrgreen: ) etc. The 21XTR had the vertically mounted Thunder Tiger engine with the distinctive purple heat sinks.

I believe there was also MK2 & MK3 Nitro 10s both with blue chassis - I think the Mk2 continued to use the MK1's Irvine engine & had red anodised shocks - then the Mk3 had fixed length plastic tie rod links & later ones it seems had the black plastic shocks... somewhere between the Mk2 & Mk3 there seems to have been three different engines used - the original Irvine, the Leo & i've seen some with an O.S engine?? Generally beyond the original Mk1 there appears to be little consistancy in the specs on these interesting cars :|

Either way I have fond memories of these Nitro10s (in stadium truck Mk1 spec) Having re-built a couple for friends & getting the engines tuned in for them when I was still at school. One of these friends converted his Nitro10 & fitted it with the .20 size engine from his Mardave Marauder.... so kind of pre-concieved the 21XTR idea!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

DerbyDan wrote:I believe there was also MK2 & MK3 Nitro 10s both with blue chassis - I think the Mk2 continued to use the MK1's Irvine engine & had red anodised shocks - then the Mk3 had fixed length plastic tie rod links & later ones it seems had the black plastic shocks... somewhere between the Mk2 & Mk3 there seems to have been three different engines used - the original Irvine, the Leo & i've seen some with an O.S engine?? Generally beyond the original Mk1 there appears to be little consistancy in the specs on these interesting cars :|
The mk2 had a blue chassis, same as the mk1 except for colour, and the S15R2 engine. Once they went to the mk3, everything changed.... different gearbox, different chassis (with a bump start hole in it), and the ability to utilise a number of engines. You could buy it with a Leo 12 pullstart engine in the kit, or without an engine but with an engine install kit for a number of engines (Leo 12 / 15 pullstart or bumpstart, OS, ASP, MEGA15, Irvine XR15 etc.). Solid links came about with the mk3 and beyond, and the manual doesn't seem to show a turnbuckle upgrade as a kit, although you could certainly build one up yourself.
DerbyDan wrote:Either way I have fond memories of these Nitro10s (in stadium truck Mk1 spec) Having re-built a couple for friends & getting the engines tuned in for them when I was still at school. One of these friends converted his Nitro10 & fitted it with the .20 size engine from his Mardave Marauder.... so kind of pre-concieved the 21XTR idea!
Can I send you three or four mk1 trucks to rebuild??????? Pretty please??????? :oops:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Incredible_Serious wrote:
DerbyDan wrote:I believe there was also MK2 & MK3 Nitro 10s both with blue chassis - I think the Mk2 continued to use the MK1's Irvine engine & had red anodised shocks - then the Mk3 had fixed length plastic tie rod links & later ones it seems had the black plastic shocks... somewhere between the Mk2 & Mk3 there seems to have been three different engines used - the original Irvine, the Leo & i've seen some with an O.S engine?? Generally beyond the original Mk1 there appears to be little consistancy in the specs on these interesting cars :|
The mk2 had a blue chassis, same as the mk1 except for colour, and the S15R2 engine. Once they went to the mk3, everything changed.... different gearbox, different chassis (with a bump start hole in it), and the ability to utilise a number of engines. You could buy it with a Leo 12 pullstart engine in the kit, or without an engine but with an engine install kit for a number of engines (Leo 12 / 15 pullstart or bumpstart, OS, ASP, MEGA15, Irvine XR15 etc.). Solid links came about with the mk3 and beyond, and the manual doesn't seem to show a turnbuckle upgrade as a kit, although you could certainly build one up yourself.
DerbyDan wrote:Either way I have fond memories of these Nitro10s (in stadium truck Mk1 spec) Having re-built a couple for friends & getting the engines tuned in for them when I was still at school. One of these friends converted his Nitro10 & fitted it with the .20 size engine from his Mardave Marauder.... so kind of pre-concieved the 21XTR idea!
Can I send you three or four mk1 trucks to rebuild??????? Pretty please??????? :oops:

Alex
Thats great info - you really are the oracle on these nitro powered Schueys!

I must admit I used to love stripping down cars & cleaning every little part with a tooth brush & a bucket of warm soapy water, I could do it in an afternoon! Although I still get the same buzz from seeing the transformation of an old & neglected car into something that looks near to new - my enthusiasm for it has waned somewhat! - That said, if you want to post a Mk1 or two over to me, i'll gladly clean them up.... you just might not get them back! :lol:

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

DerbyDan wrote:That said, if you want to post a Mk1 or two over to me, i'll gladly clean them up.... you just might not get them back! :lol:
No worries, send me your address and.... HEY.... WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

neilnc30

Post by neilnc30 »

Hi guys, ive just aquired a MKIII nitro 10 truck with an Irvine XR15 engine, I had two of these trucks a few years ago that came with the Irvine 15R engine, does anybody know the difference between the two engines?