OH- the Losi XX. Forgotten, the original "modern car".

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Re: OH- the Losi XX. Forgotten, the original "modern car".

Post by Johnboy72 »

I've been busy with getting back into racing and hunting...shocks still on the counter if ya need them. Haven't forgotten ya.

CGMike

Post by CGMike »

knixdad wrote:
jamin wrote:BTW, I'd stick the front bulkhead in some peroxide under a UV lamp to whiten it up - just to keep those AE boys interested :lol:
I'm so scared to do anything to my XX/XXT bulkheads, dying or whitening. Afraid it will weaken it or make it more brittle or something nefarious. They might as well be made of gold anymore.
I bought a white bulkhead for my GTX and just painted it black with a spray can (I was worried about dying it too) and once it got a little dirt on it, it looked like all the other black pieces on the car. It has held up good so far.

BTW, good find on the XX! I remember when those came out. I had a Team Associated RC-10T and wanted to make the jump to a Losi XX-T (Always loved the stadium trucks over the buggies) but ended up buying a GTX a while later instead. I got one of the first GTXs. Too bad the platform changed soo much on the newer Losis because getting parts for these older ones is kind of a pain. Good luck on your build.

kbillan
Approved Member

Post by kbillan »

Its been far too long. The holidays were very busy here and took all my time from racing, let alone wrenching in the basement. Finally getting back to the track as well as some new additions to my collection have sparked my interest again.

Last time I posted, I had just scored a pair of cars off of ebay and was all giddy for the resto project. About a week after that, I scored a pair of cars from someone I have known my entire racing career. These cars raced on the very same track that I once raced on, against me! This is as close as I am going to come to getting one of my old cars back!

So- they have sat in my basement through the holidays and now I have had a chance to poke at them some more. I have a decent chassis, though I may end up grabbing a NIP one, more on that later. I did manage to score a set of wheels, thanks to a member here PMing me, as well as a very necessary NIP 88t spur for hydra-drive. Here is the fruit of my labor.

Its not completely NOS but not too bad when considered it has come from Donor cars.

Here is the donor pile. When all is said and done, I will have about 3 cars worth of parts. To be honest, some of these parts are in very decent but dirty shape. Only a few parts I would say are complete junk.

These= I think i am going to strip, smooth out and have re-anodized.

This will definitely clean up well and go right on my runner..

Some NOS parts that will go into my build.

The donorzzzzzz. I Think I am going to make a runner out of that CR truck. Every one of them has a perfectly intact front bulkhead. 3/4 of them are black!

And now----- I present you== my bad johnny.

I have a couple of small concerns with this. #1, kit rear tires were IFMAR Studs. Not mini step-pins. ??? Shrug ??? The bag is sealed.

#2, the plastic for the steering should be silver/grey. ??? shrug ??? I know it was a running change, but this is a gen 1 box and looking through the bags, it definitely has gen 1 parts everywhere.

Used Vs. NOS. Probably fix it up a bit with some armor all. Its super clean. Just not as clean. Like I mentioned= I may end up buying a NOS chassis, rear arms, rear tower, rear bulkhead.

SOOO there we are. I am still after a few small doo-daads like from LOSA7201HT front narrow tires, battery straps, some plastic and a body/wing.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Oooh NIB XX :D .... & a full blown comp kit too :wink:

I've got a NIB kit also... but its a sport model with bushings & slider driveshafts :| Mine is also a pre-CR kit & has white steering levers also, i'm guessing the inclusion of the step-pin tyres is just one of those anomilies... perhaps they had run out of stock of the kit tyres so included what they did have in stock? I've got Ifmar Studs included in my kit - but the seller included some Ifmar Pins too 8)

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

I spy a double neck 6/12 guitar in the background.....you play?

Also, fantastic resto on the dayglo pink GT Pro/ Performer.... :wink:
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

kbillan
Approved Member

Post by kbillan »

Thats my Zeppelin guitar.. Lol.. I use it only for playing Zeppelin songs lol. Next to it, completely over exposed is a Olympic white 68' stratocaster...

Yep, been playing since about 1992... Have a little recording studio thing in my hobby room..

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Thats a great haul of parts and like you say they look like they'll clean up nicely. I once got a XXT that was caked in dirt, but was low run-time, once stripped and put back together, it was like new! A guy on the forum here had it in the end.

Enjoy putting those cars together and keep us updated! :D

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Cool. So maybe I'm a little confused :roll: So your looking for a NIP chassis for a NIB car or the other car your building? I think I have one and maybe some other stuff you need. Shoot me a PM with complete list.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

kbillan wrote:Thats my Zeppelin guitar.. Lol.. I use it only for playing Zeppelin songs lol. Next to it, completely over exposed is a Olympic white 68' stratocaster...

Yep, been playing since about 1992... Have a little recording studio thing in my hobby room..
An Oly White '68 Strat huh?? Hendrix fan by any chance? I've got a '71 4-Bolt Hardtail amongst others.....but that's something else all together!

Nice!

kbillan
Approved Member

Post by kbillan »

Yes, I want NOS part to build a car. The kit will never be built.

Hendrix fan.. no.. not me... :lol:

Yes, Hendrix has taught me everything I know. I also have the 97' Tribute strat, original owner. I have a CAR 62' MIJ reissue with CS 57-62's and the Clapton boost mod. This is my current favorite player, actually.

The 68' is a MIJ with CS 69' yabbarra 's in it. Pulls the proper tones off just fine but is not as good as the tribute guitar. That thing just sounds like it's straight out of Woodstock or blue wild angel...

Playing through a USA Black Tolex HotRod Deluxe, but also have the MEX Maple cabinet version that is more like furniture than anything.

Also have RM Original Voodoo vibe! Axis Fuzz and 9090a wah mod in a VOX Shell.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

kbillan wrote:Yes, I want NOS part to build a car. The kit will never be built.

Hendrix fan.. no.. not me... :lol:

Yes, Hendrix has taught me everything I know. I also have the 97' Tribute strat, original owner. I have a CAR 62' MIJ reissue with CS 57-62's and the Clapton boost mod. This is my current favorite player, actually.

The 68' is a MIJ with CS 69' yabbarra 's in it. Pulls the proper tones off just fine but is not as good as the tribute guitar. That thing just sounds like it's straight out of Woodstock or blue wild angel...

Playing through a USA Black Tolex HotRod Deluxe, but also have the MEX Maple cabinet version that is more like furniture than anything.

Also have RM Original Voodoo vibe! Axis Fuzz and 9090a wah mod in a VOX Shell.
That's some nice kit you got there!

kbillan
Approved Member

Post by kbillan »

Yah, it's like anything else though.. just a hobby.

I have been playing for myself, imitating Hendrix and maybe gilmour ..mostly and never thought I was anything special.. but I started playing with some co-workers about 1.5 years ago.. and was sorta shocked that I can do the things I can?? I guess I just thought anyone could "play by ear".. or get a song in their head and just sorta play it.. playing with others has really brought me up a bit confidence wise..

unfortunately, they want to be all "bare baked ladies and counting crows" and I want to be all "Hendrix and Zeppelin and Floyd"" so we sorta stopped playing together. Whaaa I play too loud.. whaaaa we don't need a 4 minute solo in that song.. They want to play to a white board, I want to play off the cuff.

So.. now it's just me and my cousin. He hits the drum... I play the guitar track and then go back over it with a bass.. we have a few decent moments.. but it's tough to start up..

anyway.. back to toy cars...

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

kbillan wrote: Image
Ahh! This brings back memories of my first XX build.....

And don't worry about the tyres, I got mini-pins with mine and not the IFMAR stud.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

delete. :oops: