New Custom RC10T

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

n20capri
Approved Member

Re: New Custom RC10T

Post by n20capri »

Thanks guys!!

Yup it's an 86 ascMcLaren Capri 5.0. And the other car in the video is an 86 Mustang SVO.

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo302 »

And it's a bubbleback? I'm in love.

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

Thanks for the compliments on the real cars guys!

Small update on the Monster T...
I have a couple of 2 and 3s soft packs that I'd like to use for the truck so I'm basing mounting the other stuff around the battery! This is the basic config I think I can make work...Going to have to tweak exact placement of center diff for battery mounting AND getting the right angle on the front driveshaft so everything clears the servo. Trying to use existing holes in the chassis for battery mounting - but I'll have to drill some new ones for the center diff. Using old RC12L body mounts (that I cut too short for my 12L) and a small piece of nose tube to hold battery in place...

The battery strap is from Kyosho! :)
(drive shafts pictured are just for mock-up - will need custom length ones - I think HPI should have what I need)

Also, I think for the first time I'll be using actual servo mounts on this one. I've always used tape in the past but the front driveshaft is so close I don't think any thickness of 2-sided tape will work! lol. I only had crappy plastic servo mounts so I had to order the nice anodized blue ones...

Also forgot the 3d printed straight servo arm - originally printed this one for my standard RC10T but decided I'll need to use it here - with how I'm planning on mounting the front diff anyway. I was originally looking at using something like I used in the rear as a diff to chassis brace but it was proving to be a design that was going to be big and bulky in order to clear the nose tubes and the bell cranks...Big and Bulky and almost just for looks as I wasn't feeling it's strength...SOOO a different plan thus the straight steering arm...

The servo here is just plopped in place and you can see how little room is there for the driveshaft! Again, forward to back mounting of the servo along with proper center diff placement is critical here...

Getting everything to fit is proving to be tricky...everything really needs to be mounted to check if everything else will fit! Catch 22! haha. Hoping to only have to use one washer under the center diff too. Still mocking up at this point so I didn't drill anything yet. Again with the catch 22 - This stuff kinda moves around while your trying to mess with the other stuff! Super fun though...

Enjoy!

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

Couple more mock-up pics...Mostly random - some are out of order from the last couple but just posting what I'm finding...

Just playing around with different configurations...Plastic is a spacer for the center diff so it sits level...

Cad Mock-up of the braces - this was before I got the B5 rod ends and new turnbuckles. I swiped these vintage titanium ones from my other RC10T for mock-up! You can see the stock rear dog bones and 1/4" axles. Just long enough. I will need a spring inside of the diff to keep things pushed against the stock axle spring in order to keep everything in place. CVA's in the rear won't work...I need the "float" - again because of the short T3 outdrives...this should be ok though. I should paint the bones florescent so I can find them if they fall out! haha

Trying different configurations for the servo.

I HAD to set these vintage Monster Truck tires in place to get a feel for things...

CVA's in the front are stock T4's. Clearly too short uncompressed...and a hair too long fully compressed. Hence needing something custom...

Enjoy!