Impulse buy; Axial SCX6

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Impulse buy; Axial SCX6

Post by XLR8 »

I had no idea Axial was planning to release this. I got an email from Horizon this morning regarding the launch, I watched the review videos (a ton of them seemed to hit youtube at the same time), then called my local hobby shop and pre-ordered a copy in silver (don't much care for the pea green but I'm kinda odd like that).
I was seriously leaning toward a 1/10 scale SCX10 III but its portals and dig features really didn't interest me. This one has none of that -- no locking diffs either. However this one does include a two-speed trans and that's fine with me. Apparently the ESC will handle 4s so I plan to run two 2s packs in series. I have a matched pair or lipos that were purchased together last fall.

Should be fun.

Anyway, according to HH, these don't ship to pre-orders or their hobby shops until Oct 29th so I'll have a couple weeks wait.

I'm curious what other trail truck fans here think about this. Are large scale RC's a new trend or a just a gimmick that will quickly go away.
Axial SCX6.JPG
Doug

GoMachV

Re: Impulse buy; Axial SCX6

Post by GoMachV »

I saw that this morning and had to go drool at the pics. Never been a crawler guy but that thing is killer
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Yeah, I agree. I guess I'm more of a trail truck fan - which I would define as a vehicle capable of handling extremely rough terrain but with a bit more speed than a typical crawler. Rock crawling for me is just frustrating. :lol:
I had a long conversation with the guy at the hobby shop and we agreed that Axial has fixated on the Jeep JLU body a bit too long. They make it available in at least three scales now. Folks are getting tired of it and it's passed time for them to move to another body design.
The chassis can telescope to create a longer wheelbase so maybe they are planning something else down the road - a Gladiator body perhaps?
Anyway, I wasn't attracted to the Jeep body. It was the chassis and running gear and the overall size that captured my attention. I would prefer a pickup body.
Doug

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I got the Horizon email yesterday evening, too. That fact that its 1/6th makes it very intriguing. I'll be very curious to get your review!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

They guy I spoke to yesterday (Andy) said his boss (the store owner) was trying to decide how many of these trucks to order before he left for the day.
So, as of yesterday, he hadn't ordered any stock.
I've just taken another look at the SCX6 page on HH's website and the status has changed from "pre-order" to "backorder". Perhaps all units from this initial shipment have been consumed by pre-orders? If that's the case then I missed the boat and, according to Andy, the next shipment won't arrive until sometime in 2022.

Either way, it is what it is.

I'll call the store again today to discuss.
Doug

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Seen a ton of vids about it from all the normal youtube RC guys over the past week or so. Looks like a fun truck, the price tag though, ouch!!
Hard to believe back when I was a kid in the 80's paying $90-$150 for cars that one day I would see $1100 price tags on new one. You had mentioned it didn't have locking diffs but I believe from what I have seen it does. I know a couple reviews (rcsaylors for one) were talking about it having locked diffs.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I got the email and was blown away on the size but whoa on that price. This clincher for me was seeing one in person at Pegasus Hobbies last weekend. It’s pretty cool so I went ahead and preordered one from Horizon. I wonder if these are held up by the shipping cargo back up in the port of Los Angeles

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Steve71 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 am Seen a ton of vids about it from all the normal youtube RC guys over the past week or so. Looks like a fun truck, the price tag though, ouch!!
Hard to believe back when I was a kid in the 80's paying $90-$150 for cars that one day I would see $1100 price tags on new one. You had mentioned it didn't have locking diffs but I believe from what I have seen it does. I know a couple reviews (rcsaylors for one) were talking about it having locked diffs.
Yeah I usually check youtube each evening to see if new vids have been posted. I've probably seen most of them.
Sorry about the confusion, I guess what I meant to say is that it doesn't have remote locking diffs like the TRX4 and others. Yes, the axles are locked and there is no center diff either. All four wheels are pulling all the time. :D
axle spool.JPG
I agree completely about the price - it's ridiculous! :roll:
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

shodog wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:13 am I got the email and was blown away on the size but whoa on that price. This clincher for me was seeing one in person at Pegasus Hobbies last weekend. It’s pretty cool so I went ahead and preordered one from Horizon. I wonder if these are held up by the shipping cargo back up in the port of Los Angeles
I did call Andy at my lhs back and he confirmed my preorder and didn't mention anything about the initial shipment being held up in LA. But, he did speculate that future shipments most likely will be impacted by the nonsense happening in LA.
Also, I'm watching the online retailers and so far they are still accepting preorders and saying the item will be available on Oct 27th.
Imagine being a member of the product management team who has to predict how many units will sell initially so you can place the initial production order with the manufacturer in China. That's a huge financial loss if this flops. I'd reckon the production orders for this model went out a year ago.
A clear body set should be available at some point. What color did you order?
Doug

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

XLR8 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:42 pm
shodog wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:13 am I got the email and was blown away on the size but whoa on that price. This clincher for me was seeing one in person at Pegasus Hobbies last weekend. It’s pretty cool so I went ahead and preordered one from Horizon. I wonder if these are held up by the shipping cargo back up in the port of Los Angeles
What color did you order?
I ordered the silver as shiny green isn't my thing. I hope the aftermarket supports it. Would be nice to get a set of aluminum wheels and axles. I'm thinking aftermarket aluminum wheels for 1/6 scale Losi Rock Rey will fit. I plan to order one wheel and see if it works and if it does I'll buy a full set.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

shodog wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:04 pm
XLR8 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:42 pm
What color did you order?
I ordered the silver as shiny green isn't my thing. I hope the aftermarket supports it. Would be nice to get a set of aluminum wheels and axles. I'm thinking aftermarket aluminum wheels for 1/6 scale Losi Rock Rey will fit. I plan to order one wheel and see if it works and if it does I'll buy a full set.
Will aftermarket support the SCX6, well I guess depends on how many units sell. There are plenty of aftermarket parts available for the SBR 2.0 (cousin to the 1/6 Losi Rock Rey) so I think our chances for SCX6 aftermarket parts are very good. ...if your wallet can handle it (unfortunately I don't think mine can)
Oh, and Greg at RC Driver says the wheels from his SBR 2 will fit the SCX6 so Rock Rey wheels should also fit.
I actually like the SCX6's Black Rhino Primm wheels and it really doesn't bother me if they are plastic. Anyway, I think they look better than the stock wheels on the SBR. Maybe it's simply because they are black rather than the SBR's light gray. Reckon I should just apply a little black paint first and then decide.

I ordered the silver one as well.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Over the past week, a company called Vitavon has been rolling out their CNC alloy suspension parts for the SCX6 and today they've posted these very nice aluminum bead lock wheels:

vitavon wheels.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284504239511?hash=item423dc62d97:g:9m0AAOSwRk1hd~sm

I wouldn't be surprised if they offer CNC alloy axles housings as well. The truck in the photo appears to have some (prototype?) shock mounts.

I have Vitavon's hardened steel cluster gear set for the SBR 2's transmission and quality seems very good. Anyway, I haven't managed to break them so far.

Very expensive however.
Doug

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I saw those wheels this morning. That design just doesn't do it for me. I wish they were an upscaled version of his UDR wheels

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Just got the notification that it shipped and I should get it by next Monday. The anticipation will be excruciating.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

shodog wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:50 pm Just got the notification that it shipped and I should get it by next Monday. The anticipation will be excruciating.
That's awesome! When it arrives, please comment and let us know what you think. I'm very curious to see how this is going to be received by the RC community. I think the price is a big problem.

I'm waiting for the lhs in Huntsville to call. They should be receiving stock today (10-29) so I'm hoping to pick up my copy tomorrow. Can't wait!!!

Edit: Holy smokes, they just called. I'm headed to Hunstville this afternoon. Sorry, I'm like a kid on Christmas morning. :D
Doug