Factory long wheelbase TCP new build

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dinglem
Approved Member

Factory long wheelbase TCP new build

Post by dinglem »

I was recently very very fortunate to get chatting to a gent who used to be heavily involved in the upper-echelons of Traxxas UK, and after quite a bit of discussion he agreed to send me some of the remaining Traxxas parts he has left over from his days with the company. Turns out he was a lovely and very chatty guy, full of old stories and experiences within the industry. Fascinating!

Imagine my surprise when opening a package I found what was a virtually complete TCP (Total Competition Package) in kit form.... including brand new paperwork and instructions. There were only a few small items outstanding, but the key unicorn items such as the various shock lengths, the optional TCP wishbones, the slider dogbone driveshafts etc... were all there. Best of all, the gent had also mentioned that he had one example of the Team Traxxas graphite LWB upper and lower chassis, which again he agreed to let me have. Amazing find. I didn't even know such a thing existed until he mentioned it.

During his time at Traxxas UK he attended many shows and exhibitions, and as such commissioned a professional painter to spray up some bodyshells for the various display cars on the stand, and amazingly I got sent the TRX-3 shell they used on the display TCP, along with a new undertray. Super-cool.

So fast-forward a little while and I have started putting it all together to find out what is there and what is missing.

Here is how it currently stands:-
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
And here is the bodyshell. I will be adding some decals to finish it off, but it is a lovely space/stars effect with a deep red slash across it. Quite effective when you see it in real life and the condition is still really good after all of this time in a loft.
9.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
The main outstanding bits are some, though not all, of the gearbox internals, bumper, front stub-axles and the battery box (amazingly I have a brand new battery strap!) I am aware the bumpers and battery boxes have been 3D printed so they are always an option. The rear shock tower is also absent, but i have already taken delivery of a NIP hop-up Composite Craft graphite one from the US, so that is sorted.

The shocks on this thing are buttery smooth. The best I have come across i think. I have gone for long fronts and rears out of the options available. I did initially build up the XL rears but they required bump-stops to be added on the inside to enable use of the slider dogbones (or so the instructions stated) so there seemed little point using them in the end and i reverted back to the longs.

Who else has a TCP and does anyone else have the LWB graphite chassis on their cars? It is basically elongated at the nose with the rest of the chassis profile remaining exactly the same as the standard fibreglass version. It is around 10mm longer, and the upper chassis is also of a different design and although the same 10mm longer at the nose does not extend as far back along the edges of the battery box.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

TRX-1-3

Re: Factory long wheelbase TCP new build

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Great start here and I have great hope that you will find all the needed bits for completion. One thing I am thinking of looking at this with no front bumper is that front bulkhead. That is a unicorn item right there and it would be a very good stroke to fashion up a tie-bar from hinge pin to hinge pin. If memory serves me, I believe the TRX-1 hinge pins are long enough to accommodate a tie-bar.

Upon further thinking while I was typing the above....It may be the rear inner hinge pin(s) that fit the front inner position with just enough length for a 3mm or thereabouts thickness tie-bar/strap.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

In my initial post I really should have remembered to thank TRX-1-3 for helping me muddle through the parts and informing me what was what.... i am a total Traxxas newbie afterall. So a massive thanks for that.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Hey Dingle another nice find, don't know how you do it mate.

Battery box is still available from traxxas new

https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/2525

If you have the part numbers for the gearbox internals you might be surprised how many items will still be available now directly from traxxas or even a local traxxas stockist.

Here’s a link to the traxxas part finder page, throw the number you want in and if they still have it it’ll pop up

https://m.traxxas.com/products/search?keyword=2525

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

White battery boxes should be pretty easy to find online, I just bought one and there were a few listing.

Such a shame Traxxas fell off the perch so to say as they had some cool stuff back in the day....
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Thanks for the link Retro RC.... you are correct. Pretty much everything i need to finish the car is still listed!

This has also made me focus a little more on the parts I actually have and to be honest I think I have everything i need to build up the complete gearbox, apart from that i have zero bearings. They are obviously going to be required before I can go any further. The reason I thought I was missing parts was because the gent who sent me the bits also sent a list in bright red handwriting of what was not included to complete the kit. This mainly comprosed the main diff shaft, spring washers, thrust washers and the like. However, what I have just found when rummaging through my swag bag is part number 2730, which is a complete diff rebuild kit, which actually contains all of these missing parts!! Happy days!

I do already have the main diff gear, the idler gear and shaft, a steel top gear, a slipper clutch shaft and roller pin, and left and right output shafts which he had already sent to me.

Tomorrow I will go through everything else that is missing and see what I can order from that site, but i don't think it is actually that much.

Tie-rods, rear shocks and a few stickers on the shell have been what I have worked on today. It is now really starting to look the part.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Well, I just stuck a load of parts in my 'Cart' on the Traxxas site only to discover at check-out that they only offer shipping to the USA, Canada, Guam and Puerto Rico.

The online address boxes are only rigged up for US addresses and ZIP codes, not international addresses, so that kinda sucks. I have just sent them an email to see if there is anything that can be done to get me the parts I require. But, good news that they have absolutely everything I need I suppose, and it only totals about 30quid 8)

I think I will have a go at putting the diff together today to check that I do actually have the entire unit.

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Bugger didn’t realise they don’t do international shipping I’ve always used a freight forwarding service to get parts down here as it always works out cheaper for me.

Hopefully it won’t be a problem or they might put you onto a local hobby shop that stock traxxas to order through them

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Try the EU site, instead of the one this side of the world.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:31 pm Try the EU site, instead of the one this side of the world.
Do you have a link to it by any chance please? I am not finding anything like it. One kind member on here has already offered to help me out with ordering bits from the US site so it looks like I am good to go anyway should I get stuck :D

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

What I found doesn't appear to be official.

It was trx shop or something, in a different language.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Now I am at a bit of a standstill with this build - waiting on returning home so i can gather up the next parts to continue putting it together, so i have been passing the time by starting on the stickers. Lots more to add, but not too bad so far. I quite like the torn red stripe effect on the shell, and the space/star type scene on the black which seems to give it a bit of depth somehow. Pictures don't really show the effect very well though.
trx3b.jpg
trx3a.jpg
trx3c.jpg
258880668_196119952684795_1791783752370159080_n.jpg

TrAxxxSRac3R

Post by TrAxxxSRac3R »

Dinglem, if you cant seem to get parts sent to the UK, let me know. I'd be happy to get what you need shipped to my house, and I'll put it in the mail with your address on it. If there's anything else you cant find, also let me know. Trx1-3 also helped me, and between the two of us, we ended up getting my TRX-1 back into running form. I've also found a company that will reproduce parts sent them with a high fiber content plastic blend, as good as or better than anything any companies are using today. As always... more than happy to help. Just let me know!